• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you for providing this insight.

I've personally never found ISTJs to be lacking in apparent depth or emotion. It's the Fi bubbling beneath the surface ;).

I think many other types also wear the STJ uniform, as our working environment encourages S, T and especially Jness. It's quite possibly one of the reasons that many "ISTJs" seem to lack depth. After all, it's not their true type. :)

I will say that emotion is not our strongpoint. My girlfriend once lamented that I don't have them. :laugh:. I have them I just don't put them on display.

There aren't a lot of things that get me excited to the point that a stranger will know. As of recently, I'm a lot more aware of my emotional level, but it's still not anywhere near a strong F. It may never be.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
haha!! see...it could be read either way due to my comments in the other thread.

You know I was playing around..............................Right?

You don't think that somehow our back and forths about the ISTJ/ENFP relations has me hating you, do you?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thank you. Exactly. They were just programmed that way.

Remember this show?

smallwonder_s1.jpg

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know I was playing around..............................Right?

You don't think that somehow our back and forths about the ISTJ/ENFP relations has me hating you, do you?

hating me? no...just possibly expecting me to say something negative about enfp/istj relations.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you for providing this insight.

I've personally never found ISTJs to be lacking in apparent depth or emotion. It's the Fi bubbling beneath the surface ;).

Oh, no problem. This is definitely true for me, which is probably why I've also tested as INFP. Which is why I disagree with:

IxTJ has ... only a mildly strong Fi, if that.

Maybe that's true according to the theory, I don't know. But I would say I have rather strong Fi.

I think many other types also wear the STJ uniform, as our working environment encourages S, T and especially Jness. It's quite possibly one of the reasons that many "ISTJs" seem to lack depth. After all, it's not their true type. :)

It's our true type! And I wear it proudly :D Even if others aren't :cry: But yes, pretty much everyone has to work, so the STJ-ness is most apparent and useful there and probably associated with something oppressive for many people.

The thing is, it's not as if ISTJs particularly “enjoy” working and all that “boring” stuff. I mean, who does. I think it's more that ISTJs don't take their feelings into account very much in comparison to what the “right” thing to do is. The advantage of this is that you are able to push through with carrying out tough decisions even when it is at the cost of personal suffering or discomfort or doesn't please other people or will make them dislike you. You don't mind because you subsume your own self into the greater good. Maybe nobody will notice or appreciate it, but that's ok. I think there can be a lot of depth in that kind of attitude, it's just not an obvious depth. I think this can be difficult for Ns to appreciate because they want to change things for the better by leaving a personalised mark, producing something unique and original from them personally.

But sure, as has been pointed out, not being in touch with your feelings and others' feelings is a disadvantage socially and in relationships. This is not an ISTJ's natural ability but it can be learned through life experience.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh, no problem. This is definitely true for me, which is probably why I've also tested as INFP. Which is why I disagree with:

Maybe that's true according to the theory, I don't know. But I would say I have rather strong Fi.

It's our true type! And I wear it proudly :D Even if others aren't :cry: But yes, pretty much everyone has to work, so the STJ-ness is most apparent and useful there and probably associated with something oppressive for many people.

The thing is, it's not as if ISTJs particularly “enjoy” working and all that “boring” stuff. I mean, who does. I think it's more that ISTJs don't take their feelings into account very much in comparison to what the “right” thing to do is. The advantage of this is that you are able to push through with carrying out tough decisions even when it is at the cost of personal suffering or discomfort or doesn't please other people or will make them dislike you. You don't mind because you subsume your own self into the greater good. Maybe nobody will notice or appreciate it, but that's ok. I think there can be a lot of depth in that kind of attitude, it's just not an obvious depth. I think this can be difficult for Ns to appreciate because they want to change things for the better by leaving a personalised mark, producing something unique and original from them personally.

But sure, as has been pointed out, not being in touch with your feelings and others' feelings is a disadvantage socially and in relationships. This is not an ISTJ's natural ability but it can be learned through life experience.

These are good points. I definitely can relate- especially the feelings vs duty part. Sometimes I'll say I won't do something because it's somebody else's responsibility (my feelings), but my sense of duty wins over. I'd rather the task be done and prevent any chaos over justifying my feelings.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I don't wear ISTJ as my true type. I wear me as my true type. ISTJ just classifies my thought processes into something more readily accessible and understandable.

In about 80% of my life, I put the outer situation at a higher priority than my own feelings. This is very general, but it crosses into career, school, among other things. At work, I rarely take things personally because I make it my priority to follow the rules of the situation and allow myself to follow the situation. Objectivity and clear-headed thinking are my preferred ways of doing things. It's not because it works best, but because it feels good and it's what I understand the easiest. There are other ways to do things, but I don't understand them easily, so I stick to what I do understand.....logic.

I say fuck it to work. Working for the sake of work just plain stupid. I enjoy work because it's directly verifiable productivity. Does it mean I want to devote my life to work? NO. It's just that that part of my life provides fulfillment where other people don't see it. I admire the executive lifestyle and I want to live it. That's the ISTJ in me.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
IxTJ has very weak Fe, and only a mildly strong Fi, if that. The key part you're wondering about is the S or the N. You have, however, already determined the most vital aspect of his personality: he is a jerk.

To a degree, xxTJs are "more likely to be jerks" but not in the way you might think. xxTJs are more likely to unintentionally be jerks, do to social cluelessness (low Fe).

As for S vs N, there really isn't enough information, here. I don't think an INTJ would be quite so preoccupied with sports, but it's not unheard of. For S vs N, it's in the small things. When you spoke with him, did it feel like he was always right there with you, or did he seem to live "in his head"? That would be the main clue. Did he notice/remember really small details? Did he daydream a lot?

That should get you started. Just remember that N or S, "JERK" is its own type, not an MBTI type.

I don't think being mean was something he wanted to be, he always referred to himself as a nice guy. I think he was just very stubborn and arrogant

and as for being there with me vs. in his head... he was more concrete than I was, but I was ALWAYS somewhere else. My S is invisible at best. For example at new years eve we kissed under the fireworks at the city and I was all this is sooo romantic, look at the pretty colors and he was like... yeah, yeah... kinda distant. mostly he just seemed indifferent.

He didn't notice details very much at all unless it involved facebook stalking me, but im pretty sure CRAZY is its own type too :)

yeah he didn't seem to care about details, despite my lack of detailing, I was always editing his papers myself. I had to tell him his outfits matched. and he judged me for being a brand-name clothing whore, but definitely prided himself on his own wealth...

He seemed indifferent to rules, I know SJ's love them, right? but he is definitely a highly expressed judging personality and thought things like being late to class was rude and silly.... and he was pretty much the anti-dreamer. He did like the tangible, sports (watching more than playing), video games talk radio, but then again he like loved political theory, and religious theory... not that he was religious himself.

any more thoughts?

I'm so curiousssss.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think being mean was something he wanted to be, he always referred to himself as a nice guy. I think he was just very stubborn and arrogant

and as for being there with me vs. in his head... he was more concrete than I was, but I was ALWAYS somewhere else. My S is invisible at best. For example at new years eve we kissed under the fireworks at the city and I was all this is sooo romantic, look at the pretty colors and he was like... yeah, yeah... kinda distant. mostly he just seemed indifferent.

He didn't notice details very much at all unless it involved facebook stalking me, but im pretty sure CRAZY is its own type too :)

yeah he didn't seem to care about details, despite my lack of detailing, I was always editing his papers myself. I had to tell him his outfits matched. and he judged me for being a brand-name clothing whore, but definitely prided himself on his own wealth...

He seemed indifferent to rules, I know SJ's love them, right? but he is definitely a highly expressed judging personality and thought things like being late to class was rude and silly.... and he was pretty much the anti-dreamer. He did like the tangible, sports (watching more than playing), video games talk radio, but then again he like loved political theory, and religious theory... not that he was religious himself.

any more thoughts?

I'm so curiousssss.

Balanced S/N. Any xTJ male could just as well ignore all the fireworks and stars and stuff, since they aren't strong with the touchy feely aspects. He sounds like he has aspects of both typical types.

SJs are not stickler for rules in all cases- this is usually taken extremely out of context. They do, however, hold close to whatever they perceive as 'the way'- and that is usually based on concrete evidence. That's why I asked about his background and how women are/were viewed during his youth.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Balanced S/N. Any xTJ male could just as well ignore all the fireworks and stars and stuff, since they aren't strong with the touchy feely aspects. He sounds like he has aspects of both typical types.

SJs are not stickler for rules in all cases- this is usually taken extremely out of context. They do, however, hold close to whatever they perceive as 'the way'- and that is usually based on concrete evidence. That's why I asked about his background and how women are/were viewed during his youth.

his background is well... he's a finance/accounting/business major. he doesnt mind details, but he prefers theories. if this matters: he's well off and thinks this makes him better than everyone else. perhaps these are his own values, and his own 'way".

He hated when people didn't agree with him. and would assume they were stupid. close minded is my word of choice for this delightful fellow.

he was a bit of a romantic tbh, got texts like "Hows the most beautiful girl in the world doing?"

but was also easily put off, judgemental, and cold after the first few months.

he could be either type. I think if I had to guess, I'd say an intuitive ISTJ. are either types more known for being secretive and private and? or is this just an I thing?

i might be generalizing.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
his background is well... he's a finance/accounting/business major. he doesnt mind details, but he prefers theories. if this matters: he's well off and thinks this makes him better than everyone else. perhaps these are his own values, and his own 'way".

He hated when people didn't agree with him. and would assume they were stupid. close minded is my word of choice for this delightful fellow.

he was a bit of a romantic tbh, got texts like "Hows the most beautiful girl in the world doing?"

he could be either type. I think if I had to guess, I'd say an intuitive ISTJ. are either types more known for being secretive and private and? or is this just an I thing?

i might be generalizing.

S vs N is the hardest thing to determine when typing someone. I usually start off assuming N (even though it's rare), and switch to S once it's clear my intuitive-style communications aren't working.

He could have been an INTJ jerk or an ISTJ jerk. TJ has the FP working behind the scenes, and can be sentimental, but it's "tertiary Fi" which takes a while to mature. I suspect that the best you can do is read up on both INTJ and ISTJ and see which best jibes with your memories. Focus on the flaws, not the strengths. The flaws are usually more specific, in these things.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the combination of his type, which is still clearly not defined by your descriptions, AND his cultural background. Have you and he discussed how women were considered in his culture and background? That could be it too.

Well i had previously thought he may be intj but i am very new to this and havn't been looking at all types etc
Someone else pointed out he was very istj and once he knew i was conversing about him and his type he retook the test (he had done previously but i couldn't remember his results)

He is very S
Introverted (I) 56.25% Extroverted (E) 43.75%
Sensing (S) 71.43% Intuitive (N) 28.57%
Thinking (T) 56.41% Feeling (F) 43.59%
Judging (J) 75.76% Perceiving (P) 24.24%

I would also say he is more introverted than his result shows, much more.

I am pretty polar opposite on S/N and J/P and obviously our types are opposite already.

Extroverted (E) 72.22% Introverted (I) 27.78%
Intuitive (N) 78.79% Sensing (S) 21.21%
Feeling (F) 87.1% Thinking (T) 12.9%
Perceiving (P) 79.31% Judging (J) 20.69%

Like mentioned in the previous post, an IXTJ has weak Fi and an even weaker Fe. If he hasn't had it in practice thus far in life, now it is manifesting itself.
I'm still getting to grips with the functions so i'm not quite sure what this means.

One thing you did say up there, in that last paragraph, is that he 'doesn't like to give up on anything'. That an S trait. He might be an ISTJ, but he isn't an extreme S.
He has other traits too, he talks about things in percentages all the time, he likes to talk face to face to read expression and body language. He does not like to chat on the phone or email he likes to see people. He likes facts and figures, prefers to read non fiction, hates sci fi, rates sucess on material gain etc etc.

I agree with uumlau, based on your situation, it's less of the S/N devide, and more of the regard his feelings and yours, Fi & Fe. At age 33, it's now or never for him to change his ways.
Yes i do believe it is now or never. I want our relationship to work well, at the moment it does work but we are very stuck on certain things. Yes i think culturaly there are differences that play a part. For an Iranian he is very liberal and very into equal rights but for a westener he is very conservative and (to me) very sexist. These things cause problems as i am a feminist (into equal rights for women AND men, not a radical) and very liberal.
We do find common ground and can really bounce ideas off each other, we also connect on many other levels and can have a good laugh together. Although as you mentioned befor about ISTJ's, he's not very emotional. Infact if he raises his voice i have to surpress a giggle because it sounds so unatural like he thinks the situation warrants it but he's not comfortable doing it. I think he has raised his voice (never ever shouted) maybe two or three times in the 2 1/2 years we have been together.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

i might be generalizing.

:shock: sounds vaguely like an ENFJ ex of mine, if you added in "conviction that he is more sensitive, more in touch and more aesthetically appreciative than anyone else"

basically, I'm agreeing with the assessment JERK... unfortunatly, JERK knows no MBTI type and they give people an impression that people of that type are ALL assholes...

funny thing is, if you find a nice IxTJ you'd probably be perfectly happy with him! :)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
funny thing is, if you find a nice IxTJ you'd probably be perfectly happy with him! :)

As an ENFP? From my observations the only J suited for ENFPs is INFJ. And the only Ps are NPs.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lol... I have an ENFP friend who's married to an ISTJ and has been for the past 20 years... they're quite happy together! :)

I think that ExxP and IxxJ go well, but the middle part is just up to personal preference and chance! :laugh: