• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs Explained By ISTJs: Post your questions here!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
ISTJs, what characterizes a true friend to you? How many do you have?

A true friend is somebody who's going to look out for my best interests, and understand that my actions are for theirs, which implies trust.

I don't expect to know everything about their lives, all of their secrets, but if it affects my relationship with them, I should know.

I have what I feel is one true friend, but his latest actions have really put our relationship to the test.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
when does it usually take to trust someone? Could authority be a factor in why you trust someone? What do you consider as "fact"? (considering how nothing is fact. would you like to debate this?)

Trust is usually handed out in small amounts over a period of time. I'm never a total open book; I'll give you little by little, and your actions dictate if you can get more from me. When I say actions, that usually means to the extent I'm sharing I expect you to share as well, sometimes you'll have to share more than me. If you don't open up, there's little chance I will after that point. I'll make efforts and take initiative if the person is deemed worthy. There's no prescribed period- it depends on the person.

Titles, rank, authority does not play into it. I'm not impressed by those things. If anyting they could make me more skeptical.

Violate my trust I'm shutting down shop and moving on.

Facts are usually things that I feel can be objectively proven. I respect feelings, but it's very hard to gain credibility based on them alone. In my relationships, especially with females, it has caused some problems, but I've learned that if it doesn't kill me and isn't going against what's core to me, to let them have it.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
ISTJs, what do you think of this quote:

"He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery." - Harold Wilson

I agree.

I'm not against change- It's necessary. I tend to be a leader of change at work and other areas of my life. It's a fact of life- it's going to happen. So while I don't always welcome it, I can accept it.

I will admit that unexpected changes give me the worst cases of "What if, what now", especially in those biggest decisions in life. But through learning about MBTI and just experience- I'm not scared if it.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Trust is usually handed out in small amounts over a period of time. I'm never a total open book; I'll give you little by little, and your actions dictate if you can get more from me. When I say actions, that usually means to the extent I'm sharing I expect you to share as well, sometimes you'll have to share more than me. If you don't open up, there's little chance I will after that point. I'll make efforts and take initiative if the person is deemed worthy. There's no prescribed period- it depends on the person.

Titles, rank, authority does not play into it. I'm not impressed by those things. If anyting they could make me more skeptical.

Violate my trust I'm shutting down shop and moving on.

Facts are usually things that I feel can be objectively proven. I respect feelings, but it's very hard to gain credibility based on them alone. In my relationships, especially with females, it has caused some problems, but I've learned that if it doesn't kill me and isn't going against what's core to me, to let them have it.

Do you think all your answers are true for all ISTJ's?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Do you think all your answers are true for all ISTJ's?

Yes. I think my answers are along the same lines as all ISTJs, they may be off center (what printed descriptions put out), due to my experiences, my self awareness, my age- a lot of things, In essense, though my preferences are along the same lines as my ISTJ peeps LOL

If you read the thread you'll find a lot of atypical answers- which proves the point that you can't typeset us as rigidly as most would like to believe.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a question *raises hand*
How do you explain to an ISTJ that they are pushing you too hard and you need some help and you feel that they are always delegating (to you) and that it is NOT a good thing?

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
I have a question *raises hand*
How do you explain to an ISTJ that they are pushing you too hard and you need some help and you feel that they are always delegating (to you) and that it is NOT a good thing?

The rest of the sentence after "How do you explain to an ISTJ that" would be sufficient.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
question for an istj....

I'm trying to figure out whether my exboyfriend was an intj or an istj. what would be the main difference in differentiating them upon reflection?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The rest of the sentence after "How do you explain to an ISTJ that" would be sufficient.

If you mean sitting down with them and talking about it then i have already done this, it seems that "pushing me too hard" is a good thing and that "i can handle it because i am superwoman". The messages are not getting through and we are going in circles. It seems i am not taken seriously until i am so angry i have steam coming out of my ears and even then i am treated like a silly girl who just had a tantrum, and then patted on the head. Ugh!

Sam Spade

MBTI Type
ISTj
I'm trying to figure out whether my exboyfriend was an intj or an istj. what would be the main difference in differentiating them upon reflection?

INTJs are evil. ;)

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
If you mean sitting down with them and talking about it then i have already done this, it seems that "pushing me too hard" is a good thing and that "i can handle it because i am superwoman". The messages are not getting through and we are going in circles. It seems i am not taken seriously until i am so angry i have steam coming out of my ears and even then i am treated like a silly girl who just had a tantrum, and then patted on the head. Ugh!

Just dump him. He doesn't respect you.

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
INTJs are evil. ;)

to be fair, he WAS extremely evil :)

the question: I can't figure out if my ex was an intj or istj upon reflection and when I tried to ask him he only wanted to discuss basketball and ignored me basically.

to add a little background...

He did have ideas about how to improve the future.... but they werent thought out very well... he wanted to shoot all the poor people to lower the poverty level for example.

and he had a HORRIBLE/INSANE temper if that has anyyything to do with type, or can have to do with type?

he never took the blame for anything, was somewhat manipulative and got very frustrated when people didn't understand him or agree.

he didn't have a lot of friends... and was never happy with the friends he did have.

any ideas? istj or intj??? :( anybodddy?/

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

This sounds like a work situation, because if it's personal you should have dumped the guy. He sounds condescending and immature.

I'd say have the discussion again, and make sure you are serious. State facts, but not only that, give him examples. Try to stay away from feelings, as they may weaken your argument. Be Serious!!!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
to be fair, he WAS extremely evil :)

the question: I can't figure out if my ex was an intj or istj upon reflection and when I tried to ask him he only wanted to discuss basketball and ignored me basically.

to add a little background...

He did have ideas about how to improve the future.... but they werent thought out very well... he wanted to shoot all the poor people to lower the poverty level for example.

and he had a HORRIBLE/INSANE temper if that has anyyything to do with type, or can have to do with type?

he never took the blame for anything, was somewhat manipulative and got very frustrated when people didn't understand him or agree.

he didn't have a lot of friends... and was never happy with the friends he did have.

any ideas? istj or intj??? :( anybodddy?/

It could be either, really, because a lot of the traits are common to both IXTJ types. but if it was soley based off the info you gave I'd say he was an ISTJ. Based on my understanding of MBTI, Ni doms would have a lot more going on in their head besides basketball and shooting up trailer parks. He sounds like a jerk, regardless of type.

What's the significance of you knowing?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Based on my understanding of MBTI, Ni doms would have a lot more going on in their head besides basketball and shooting up trailer parks. He sounds like a jerk, regardless of type.
It could've been his idea of humor, too.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
It could've been his idea of humor, too.

True, but she's giving it to us as if he's serious about that outlook. It sounds like he really wanted to take out the poor (but that would only cause the next lowest class to become poor. So eventually everybody gets shot.)

gigi_xo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
It could be either, really, because a lot of the traits are common to both IXTJ types. but if it was soley based off the info you gave I'd say he was an ISTJ. Based on my understanding of MBTI, Ni doms would have a lot more going on in their head besides basketball and shooting up trailer parks. He sounds like a jerk, regardless of type.

What's the significance of you knowing?

I believe I've only dated NTs... until I thought more about this one... im really just curious.

he was a jerk.

more information... he was partly kidding about the shooting poor people. that was his sense of humor

He did not play any sports besides being really bad at golf until he joined an inter mural soccer team which he also sucked at, but he made a fantasy baseball league and all their scores & stuff. dont know the details, he was very secretive.

extremely judgmental, cold, insensitive, but this might be a bit of any cranky iXtj.

does one type have a strong fi/fe than the other? Because when upset he would be completely emotional, irrational and vindictive.

I would come up with random schemes that he would excitedly assist with, but I don't believe he made many of his own..

Just another ISTJ

MBTI Type
IsTj
Enneagram
1w9
This sounds like a work situation, because if it's personal you should have dumped the guy. He sounds condescending and immature.

I'd say have the discussion again, and make sure you are serious. State facts, but not only that, give him some factual information. Try to stay away from feelings, as they may weaken your argument. Be Serious!!!

This is a solid suggestion to handle the workplace problem if your boss is really an ISTJ.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
How do you know you're ISTJ? What confirmed your type for you, particularly as the OP claims there are so many misconceptions about the ISTJ type (and most of these misconceptions are based on ISTJ type descriptions)?