• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs- Wannabe INTJs?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I never understood this...some of the threads I come across on this board make it seem that ISTJs want to be INTJs so bad, that some of them will label themselves as such and pretend.

Not sure why this belief exists?

Is the perception that ISTJs are somehow the inferior type?

Any ideas?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
S's have always been looked at as underdogs on here. There's a shit ton of S's disguised as N's on the forum and it isn't at all exclusive to the I_TJ's.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
All the cool kids are N.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I would never want to be an INTJ. :shock:

Little_Sticks

Heh, I've noticed this in the INTJ forum. Haven't read enough here to say anything about it here though.

G

garbage

The belief exists because of the underlying social atmosphere of the forum--heavily intuitive-thinking dominated.

Overly negative descriptions of sensing types from the intuitive types will mislead those who think they may be sensing types. There have been a few threads about this phenomenon, and I'm personally hoping that more sensing types "come out of the woodwork," so to speak, so that more accurate perceptions of the types actually surface.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Switch the percentage of people who are INTJs and people who are ISTJs and we'll see who wants to become who then.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I can't say my observations mirror those that ISTJs on this forum are wannabe INTJs. From what I've seen, many of them see INTJs as less practical and/or realistic versions of themselves. If there was any desire in ISTJs to be different, it would likely be to be more extraverted.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The belief exists because of the underlying social atmosphere of the forum--heavily intuitive-thinking dominated.

Overly negative descriptions of sensing types from the intuitive types will mislead those who think they may be sensing types. There have been a few threads about this phenomenon, and I'm personally hoping that more sensing types "come out of the woodwork," so to speak, so that more accurate perceptions of the types actually surface.

Interesting. This makes sense - people conforming to the culture.

I can't say my observations mirror those that ISTJs on this forum are wannabe INTJs. From what I've seen, many of them see INTJs as less practical and/or realistic versions of themselves. If there was any desire in ISTJs to be different, it would likely be to be more extraverted.

This certainly seems to be the case IRL.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I never understood this...some of the threads I come across on this board make it seem that ISTJs want to be INTJs so bad, that some of them will label themselves as such and pretend.

Not sure why this belief exists?

Is the perception that ISTJs are somehow the inferior type?

Any ideas?

Well, this comes primarily from the anti-S/pro-N atmosphere created by Ns who don't understand typology very well. This is really, really pervasive (even worse than here) on INTP central and INTJ forum.

If I may quote an INTJ forum thread asking, "What is the difference between ISTJ and INTJ?"

INTJ forum member said:
ISTJs learn by memorizing the book and INTJs learn by understanding the book?

The pretentious aura from this style of INTJ can be pretty suffocating. It sometimes leads S types who are new to typology to label themselves Ns because it's assumed that if you're an S, you're stupid or inferior, and nobody wants to label himself that way.

In reality, most ISTJs don't want to be INTJs because they value Si more highly than Ni. Si is probably the most poorly understood of all the functions in general and so a lot of inaccurate garbage is written about it.

The ISTJs who do wish they were INTJ generally hold Ni to some magical standard, like some kind of superpower, when in reality it's not nearly all it's cracked up to be. INTJs have a number of significant weaknesses; they're just really good at hiding them in most cases so they seem less vulnerable than they really are.

I doubt that any ISTJs are consciously lying about their type when they claim to be INTJ; they probably just don't understand the system well enough yet to accurately determine their own types.

There are a lot of real strengths in the ISTJ approach that are totally lost on INTJs, though, so don't worry about the nonsensical anti-S bias that you'll encounter on typology forums. It's to be expected on N-dominated forums, but it's a lot of bullshit.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
In reality, most ISTJs don't want to be INTJs because they value Si more highly than Ni. Si is probably the most poorly understood of all the functions in general and so a lot of inaccurate garbage is written about it.

The ISTJs who do wish they were INTJ generally hold Ni to some magical standard, like some kind of superpower, when in reality it's not nearly all it's cracked up to be. INTJs have a number of significant weaknesses; they're just really good at hiding them in most cases so they seem less vulnerable than they really are.

Recently, I encountered many weaknesses of Si that I thought Ni was some magical function. Slowly, it is dawning on me that Ni often gets it wrong too.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Recently, I encountered many weaknesses of Si that I thought Ni was some magical function. Slowly, it is dawning on me that Ni often gets it wrong too.

If you want to see the problems with Ni at its worst, I have two words for you: Dale Gribble.

Sam Spade

MBTI Type
ISTj
I have never wanted to be an INTJ, if anything I'd want to be ESTJ, ISTP, or ENTP. INTJs online have always struck me as insanely arrogant, probably because I made the mistake of visiting an INTJ forum and noticing that apparently every single badass film character was apparently an INTJ. I know a few INTJs IRL, they are:

My sister: Normal
My roommate: Normal
Extreme INTJ Geology Major: This dude never ceases to put down anyone who isn't in a field he considers 'useful,' yet he fails to realize that he's going to a shitty school that no one respects anyway. Also, he looks like Dale Gribble.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
In some ways, INTJs are like turbo-ISTJs. They have many similarities, but everything with the INTJ is bigger-picture.

And it's not really like this at all with INTPs and ISTPs. INTPs aren't ISTPs in overdrive. Maybe because we both share Ti dom in most cases. And INTJs/ISTJs have Ni/Si.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

That's true, I'm sure if I looked at the stats, Ns crazily outnumber Sensors on this forum, so we are underrepresented.

Do you think that those who have these misconceptions towards Sensors affect their relationships in real life? I mean, the world is full of Sensors, I can't see how they can think they are better than the many accomplished people who test as a sensor.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

I agree, although I don't think I'd want to ever be ESTJ. LOL. Maybe ESTP.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
That's true, I'm sure if I looked at the stats, Ns crazily outnumber Sensors on this forum, so we are underrepresented.

Or some Ss are typing themselves as Ns, but know they are Ss, only to try and circumvent perceived type bias on the forum, thus skewing the numbers.