• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] SJ's: how do you use Ne?

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Some examples would be interesting....I've seen it happen as an auxiliary function with SJ's when they socialize, but not really what happens when it comes to the fore in times of stress. Despite many SJ's in my family I can't really identify when I've seen such a thing happen...

So anyway, how do you use this function both day to day and in times of stress.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have an ESFJ friend, and she's fairly sarcastic and witty. And she gets my sarcasm and wit. She doesn't make insane Ne connections like I do, though. But her Ne lets her lighten up a bit.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I have to get something done with very little guidance, time or resources, and when there is no pre-established norm to follow, often my Ne takes control. Which is why I dress so much more stylishly/creatively when it's laundry day, and why I've done so many bizarre craft projects (inspired by the thought "I need something to do with this... Let's check out craft websites and find instructions for something fun!"). As the saying goes: Necessity is the mother of invention.

Also, when I'm really, really hyper, or just in a particularly jovial mood, I have moments of almost ENTP-esque randomness, usually beginning "Wouldn't it be cool if...?"

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh man. my ISTJ friend absolutely hates any Ne at all. He gets visibly agitated and frustrated when anybody starts exploring what he considers to be irrelevant. I often wish he'd be more open to ideas, perspectives and learning for it's own sake, but he'll have none of it. I do respect him though because he really knows how to get things done.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Oh man. my ISTJ friend absolutely hates any Ne at all. He gets visibly agitated and frustrated when anybody starts exploring what he considers to be irrelevant. I often wish he'd be more open to ideas, perspectives and learning for it's own sake, but he'll have none of it. I do respect him though because he really knows how to get things done.

I know an ISTJ who is the same way in that regard.

Keep in mind that as ENTP, you probably feel just as annoyed by Si as he does by Ne. I know personally that when somebody refuses to try something new because there's no "practical" need for it, I find myself screaming inside "BUT IT WILL BE FUN, COME ON! WHAT ABOUT EXPLORATION" Or when someone focuses on the nitty-gritty details of something, rather than the big picture, I'm just like "Ok....can we move on, now? I get it, and this is really boring..." Your ISTJ friend probably wishes that you, as an ENTP, weren't so random, spontaneous, disorganized, and unfocused, just as you wish that he'd be more open to "learning for its own sake." Anyway, just something to think about.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ

Yup... I hate when I am forced to use it! Only when I am coming up with a strategy or something useful will I take pleasure in using it. It's more of a backup if my senses fail... :doh:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes they use it to imagine all the awful things that could potentially go wrong in order to back up Si's trepidation at trying something risky or uncertain.

Si: We don't really have any experience with this or knowledge of how it works...

Te/Fe: So we'd better not risk it for now--we need a better plan before taking action in order to get the most effective result.

Ne: Yeah, who knows what might happen? We could be eaten by a pack of starving bears, or abducted by purple aliens from Jupiter, or...

I see this from Hank Hill (consummate ISTJ) all the time. :laugh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's more of a backup if my senses fail... :doh:
Actually, that's true for me too. Forgot about that. It's like how when you're running a really long ways, it'll be hell for a little while and then everything eases off and you're home free. Except it's with ideas and such. Happens to me pretty much every time I write a paper. There's a 10 minute or so long period when I'm going "God, I hate this. I can't come up with ANYTHING. I have no direction, no interest..." and then POW! There comes Ne.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
For my husband, Ne comes up whenever he hasn't got to be serious and keep up his reliable down-to-earth image. That is, when he's among friends. It seems to me that he also uses it as a sort of safety valve. It comes up very strongly but in short bouts. In such a state, he can beat my Ne easily!
But I can use it longer. Well, I can't stop using it, that's more the description... :doh:

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Sometimes they use it to imagine all the awful things that could potentially go wrong in order to back up Si's trepidation at trying something risky or uncertain.

Si: We don't really have any experience with this or knowledge of how it works...

Te/Fe: So we'd better not risk it for now--we need a better plan before taking action in order to get the most effective result.

Ne: Yeah, who knows what might happen? We could be eaten by a pack of starving bears, or abducted by purple aliens from Jupiter, or...

I see this from Hank Hill (consummate ISTJ) all the time. :laugh:

This can be true of me. However, on the flip side, imagining the worst-case scenario can help when I DO choose to take the risk...it allows me to be prepared for things that might happen. Sometimes they do happen, and I'm prepared for it.

I'd also say it comes out in my sense of humor. Like another poster mentioned, I can be very sarcastic and witty. I can also be very random with my humor.

It gives me creativity in projects I do (graphic design work, decorating my home, etc).

It gives me an enjoyment for whimsical things.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4

Yes. But when there is a good connection to reality, this can be good when you smell a rat and follow the scent connecting one dot to another random dot and and then uncover dangerous schemes. You may be called crazy by some and wasting your time, but they are left holding the bag when you already took the steps to protect yourself.

Otherwise, I use Ne especially when I need a quick solution and a conventional one isn't available. Like the other day when I discovered I couldn't mash my carrot and sweet potato mash with a fork because the carrot hadn't cooked long enough but I'd already thrown out the water and I had no proper masher. So I used the coffee press.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know personally that when somebody refuses to try something new because there's no "practical" need for it, I find myself screaming inside "BUT IT WILL BE FUN, COME ON! WHAT ABOUT EXPLORATION" Or when someone focuses on the nitty-gritty details of something, rather than the big picture, I'm just like "Ok....can we move on, now? I get it, and this is really boring..." Your ISTJ friend probably wishes that you, as an ENTP, weren't so random, spontaneous, disorganized, and unfocused,
Agree with the above :devil:, always the one to push for the new, novelty and jumping in the ice cold water/be alittle daring etc XD.

Oh my...

hehe I used to think the same thing about what now is one of my bestest friends known since elementary. First time I met her I thought similar things.

She can definitely be open minded and actually her Ne usage is not invisible.
There will be times where we will delve into deeper issues such as N related topics but most the time it's Si-Te. I'm amazed at how balanced she is in her usage she can follow my wild tangents sometimes :laugh: *give her big credit/fact i'm alive is proof*.

But with that in mind she can use it but it's limited I could run on Ne like a car on gas constantly, she will get burned out hearing me shoot off all my Ne tangents after awhile so I've learned to can it or say it in a way she can appreciate. Most the time she's very flexible and will join in the playful-ness that is Ne such as puns, jokes, weird/funny connections *ISTj*. She can hold her own :yes:.

I do notice a need whenever developing her very well established strategy
in anything new,risk taking she will use her Te-Ne in that way to make sure that every move is accounted for so as to deflect any negative result where at this point i'm just wanting to shoot for the moon *XD*. But it's amazing to watch.

Agree with TS I used to think internally " why wait?" " why so serious? Just try it." Even would wonder if she ever took a risk or did daring things, which she's just very strategic prior. I have a respect for her especially now cause I used to think she was too narrow but then I saw how very opened minded she was once she got to fully analyze the whole situation and potential outcome :rock:.

My sweet ISFJ mama is the same way. Very *maybe too* cautious and even alittle gun shy of new situations/changes. She is starting to try to cuddle with Ne but it's still not her thing which I respect :hug:.

SJs keep rocking, I got enough admiration to go around for you guys :hug: :rock:.