• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] ESTJ What Do You Like To Read?

inebriato

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My boyfriend is a huge Terry Goodkind fan, but I don't know what else he could be interested in.

I'm curious because it will give me ideas on what to give him, plus you can discuss away. :)

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My ESTJ doesn't read. She falls right asleep.

She does read cosmo and can read the hell out of cooking instructions though.

My dad is ISTJ and he likes thrillers, a big James Patterson fan and he did like the whole Shannara series of books by Terry Brooks.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my ESTJ best friend lives for historical fiction books... or cookbooks :laugh:

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
My ESTJ boyfriend really likes Haruki Murakami and other Japanese authors, Milan Kundera, fantasy stuff... He always says it's very important to him that he can relate to the protagonists. He doesn't really understand deep meanings right away but sometimes they get to him after a while :D

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, cookbooks! He loves them. :D

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
All ESTJs I've ever met are food enthusiasts. My former ESTJ (to me, not the type!) loved political stuff and classics (particularly Hardy).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I read more magazines (e.g. Entertainment Weekly, fashion zines, The Atlantic, The Economist, Newsweek, Craft) than books. But when I do read books, I like fantasy, historical fiction, etc - especially when it's funny and/or exciting. I'm also really into travelogues (like "Iron and Silk" by Mark Salzman, which is one of my favorite books), history books (I'm going on a long trip next week, and my iPod is now loaded with the audiobook version of "1776" by David McCullough) and autobiographies (Madeline Albright's is on my to-read list).

I also (and this is really basic, but nonetheless) prefer books where there's a quick-ish moving plot, and the action is external. (Which is why I, and maybe other ESTJs also, REALLY dislike the works of Ernest Hemingway!!!)

Martinette

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I don't think that my personality affects my book choice much, tbh. I read literary fiction. Don't read much non-fiction at all. Dislike "fluff" and chick-lit. I don't need cheap thrills. I need to think and be challenged intellectually. I want to know how people think and how people live.

I love Murakami, Attwood, William Boyd, Rohinton Mistry, Proulx.

Sam Spade

MBTI Type
ISTj
All ESTJs I've ever met are food enthusiasts. My former ESTJ (to me, not the type!) loved political stuff and classics (particularly Hardy).

LOL. My ESTJ girlfriend is a food enthusiast and insanely into political philosophy. She likes to read all sorts of books on Philosophy, History, Politics, time travel & physics, etc. She's also a big fan of JRR Tolkien & JK Rowling.

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I like Harry Potter and Lord of The Ring. I also love travelling book and cook book. ;)

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've known two ESTJ males. Both wanted to be chefs and were into cookbooks. One also liked Halo books. The other liked Great Gatsby.
I don't know if their depth exceeded that though :x

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Totally random revival of old thread that probably won't be revived for much longer after this:

I'm reading "Good Poems", the collection edited by Garrison Keillor, at the moment, and I'm really enjoying it. I especially enjoyed the section about God, not because of religion, but because something about being poetic about thankfulness really gives my Fi a warm fuzzy feeling.

An example of a poem I liked from it:

Lord Whoever, thank you for this air
I'm about to in- and exhale, this hutch
in the woods, the wood for fire,
the light-both lamp and the natural stuff
of leaf-back, fern, and wing.
For the piano, the shovel
for ashes, the moth-gnawed
blankets, the stone-cold water
stone-cold: thank you.
Thank you, Lord, coming for
to carry me here-where I'll gnash
it out, Lord, where I'll calm
and work, Lord, thank you
for the goddamn birds singing!

- "Poem in Thanks", Thomas Lux

You wouldn't think that ESTJs would like poetry, but we can. At least, I can. But it takes patience for me, and I really have to be in the right mood. And I'm picky about it.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm, I know an ESTJ that is not a food enthusiast. He wasn't even impressed when I told him that I made my own butter...:huh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmm, I know an ESTJ that is not a food enthusiast. He wasn't even impressed when I told him that I made my own butter...:huh:
He wasn't impressed? That's lame! I think it's impressive. Hard work and dedication to make an excellent finished product that you can be proud of - that's pretty ESTJ-like. So the ESTJ should have been impressed :yes:

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you guys like poetry? I know my ESFJ mother loves it, but I always thought it was an "N" thing...

However, for the record, I LOATHE poetry...

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
I have no inclination to book-tastes really. Whatever sparks interest is good enough. However i tend to fluctuate towards History, Philosophy and older fiction. I especially enjoy the post-apocalypse theme's.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love to read and I read mostly non-fiction with a bit of silly fiction thrown in on those rare occasions when I need pure escapism. Often, the nonfiction I read is directly relevant to my life and/or circumstances, but it can also be on any one of about a thousand subjects. Often times I have more than one book going at a time. Right now I'm working on:

The American Way of Death, Revisited- Jessica Mitford
Latecomers: Children of Parents over 35- Andrew L. Yarrow
Words and Rules- Steven Pinker