• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs and being good at distinguishing right and wrong and enforcing it

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Is this normal with ISTJs or is it just me? I find myself giving advice to friends and feeling very strongly about expressing what is right/wrong and what should/shouldn't be done. I've been known to get on friend's bad sides for being blunt and honest with it too.

Is this something that just depends on the person or is it found more so in one or a few types over others?

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haha, my ISTJ friend does this. I like this. It's good people care enough to feel the need to do this. Most of the time I just don't give a poo, and decide that 99% of the time, ultimately what should/shouldn't be done is really up to the person.

Once in a while, though, my friend tells me I give pretty good advice myself. So touching.

autumn

MBTI Type
eNFP
Hmm, I wonder if this is an xSTJ thing more than a particularly ISTJ thing. I don't think it's bad; I think it can be very important to have this trait, depending on how you use it. How the other person receives your advice depends as much on the person you're speaking with as it does on you. Some types will be offended by this kind of advice in one way or another, and others won't. One thing that could probably help, but would probably take a lot of practice and could be tricky is to try to adjust the way you deliver your advice depending on the kind of person you know you're speaking with. So if you know you're speaking with someone who tends to be rebellious or inattentive or sensitive, you could say the same thing but try to modify the way you explain it to better suit that person, if that makes sense.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Is this normal with ISTJs or is it just me? I find myself giving advice to friends and feeling very strongly about expressing what is right/wrong and what should/shouldn't be done. I've been known to get on friend's bad sides for being blunt and honest with it too.

Is this something that just depends on the person or is it found more so in one or a few types over others?

I've had extensive experience with ISTJs in my life. Invariably arguments erupted because they would try to do what you're describing. I would ask why. Their answer would be something akin to "because that's the way it is!" I would scoff. They would become angry at me. From their perspective, they were simply presenting the facts and I was being unnecessarily contrary. I would become frustrated. From my perspective they were spouting platitudes and failing to use their own God-given minds.

It was annoying.

G

GirlAmerica

It is an XSTJ thing.
I live with one of each...it is like having the behavior police on patrol 24/7.

The thing that kills me is they both do things themselves they preach at others about.........AND are OFFENDED if anyone says a thing to them about THEIR behavior.

It kills me. ha

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
I would trust an ISTJ to judge my actions fairly as they tend to have sound reasoning ability for the most part. There are some exceptions. However I don't think they are the best "enforcers" out there. I believe this is the underlying reason why I like and trust the ISTJ temperament far more than the ESTJ. As an N type I don't see right/wrong as clearly plain and simple as the ISTJ. I have found ISTJs are actually open to explaining their processes as best as they can. ESTJs though are not nearly as open for discussion and will attempt to enforce things only as they see them. As an Extroverted Judger type myself that doesn't work for me.

reason

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Is this normal with ISTJs or is it just me? I find myself giving advice to friends and feeling very strongly about expressing what is right/wrong and what should/shouldn't be done. I've been known to get on friend's bad sides for being blunt and honest with it too. Is this something that just depends on the person or is it found more so in one or a few types over others?
I do this to, though unlike mancroft's respondant, I can argue all the way down, which must be awfully frustrating :)

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi

I've always considered right and wrong to be subjective until either I or someone else does something that violates my values. When I encounter XSTJ types, they are very weary of me for that reason and their first impression is that I'm some sort of criminal or anarchist because I have no interest in their kind of social order.

I think XSTJs are very good at interpreting the current perceptions of what is right and wrong, and using the current authority to enforce those beliefs. Where they are lacking is in their ability to objectively question their own beliefs so that they understand why some things are right or wrong, and because they tend to not understand the underlying concept, they may extend their enforcement to the point that it no longer makes sense.

However, the XSTJs that I know that have studied the philosophy beyond the religious or societal perception of right and wrong, have all ended up border line suicidal. So strong are their convictions that when they do begin critically questioning their conception of right and wrong, they begin to see the world as meaningless and purposeless. Probably not unlike an NF would without their values.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ

You're not alone, I do this too. For me at least, right and wrong is not something that is subjective or that should be rationalized. Of course I can always rationalize my reasons for doing something, but frankly, I always know deep down when I am doing something wrong...it bothers me on the inside. Granted, this does not mean that I always refrain from doing things that I know are wrong. I'm only human.

Although, I find it kind of funny that many N's think ISTJ's or XSTJ's (whichever we're talking about here) look at right and wrong too simply, but from my perspective, N's are making something that is very simple into something that becomes infinitely complicated.

Oh the beauty of diverse thinking....

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sometimes I get the feeling that my ISTJ friend sees me as a moral authority second to God...

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Is this normal with ISTJs or is it just me? I find myself giving advice to friends and feeling very strongly about expressing what is right/wrong and what should/shouldn't be done.

I don't use the terms right and wrong since I don't believe in absolute morality, but I have been known to, uh, impress upon others my personal standards of optimal behavior. :whistling: :devil: ;)

Isn't it a Te/Fe thing?

G

GirlAmerica

One aspect I have found, and then even read about ISTJ's...is that they can have a very dysfunctional partner. I DO NOT GET THAT.
You would think that a correct partner would be at the top of their list.
Blows me away.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
One aspect I have found, and then even read about ISTJ's...is that they can have a very dysfunctional partner. I DO NOT GET THAT.
Blows me away.

I have read this too, and I don't really understand either. I'm very picky about who I date, so I certainly wouldn't enter into a relationship with someone who had some sort of serious dysfunctional problem that I knew of from the start.

However, sometimes dysfunctional problems can develop after marriage or once 2 partners are in a long term relationship, and the ISTJ, as a duty fulfiller, will take it upon themselves to care for and support the other partner...hoping they will eventually "get it together." ISTJ's can endure a lot, and if they see the partner that they love and care for in a bad position they will do everything they can to help and will not leave their side. Plus, ISTJ's do not adjust to change easily, and are for the most part very loyal and faithful partners...and then if you throw children into that mix the problem is complicated even further. The ISTJ may be miserable in all actuality, but because of the obligation of the choices they have made they stay.

Unfortunately the real serious problems start if the other partner becomes abusive or negligent -- a situation where it would be best to take off running.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
...making something that is very simple into something that becomes infinitely complicated.

I think this is the Devil's Dictionary definition of philosophy.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
Girlamerica said:
Blows me away.
In THEORY it makes perfect sense. I'm not saying all SJs are inclined to think this way!! However,all SJs want to be needed in one way or another. How better to insure you are needed and that you will stay needed then be with someone who is dysfunctional? Who is a better target for the SJs loving guidance and protection? Would it not fulfill the sense of belonging they desire in their beings? In my experience I have watched SJs time and again stay in what many in the outsiders would consider a "bad relationship". I've discovered that in many cases it proves to be a win/win for both parties in a sense. My parents are just one of several examples. I know the obligation/commitment factor is there. I also know that many of them got into these relationships with at least a pretty good clue that the situation was unlikely to change. I do not even offer advice anymore after I figured this out long ago...just listen politely.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
ISTJ and their Dysfunctional Partner

Using only my personal observation of a friend but also from the brief summaries of the type, I would say that ISTJ's are givers.

It's true they see the world in terms of black and white, right and wrong, and we rarely see the same situation in the same way. BUT, they are surprisingly softies when it comes to people that they like. And they are very earnest. If you ask them for an explanation they will really try hard to explain to you how they feel. They try hard to be a "good friend" and I think assume others also put this same kind of value on and work into relationships.

Part of the ISTJ morals probably includes generosity and compassion and because of that, they can be taken advantage of by selfish or needy people. They are the type I think that will try to console or possibly 'save' someone they have already bonded with and deem to have a lot of 'good' in them.

ISTJ also because of a strong 'I' preference will probably have to expend a lot more energy and underg some stress in befriending someone and they will likely put a lot of J value on their relationships and even judge themselves by how well they maintain healthy relationships. So they are less willing to just walk away from a relationship.

G

GirlAmerica

I can see that, being an I and J myself...I tend to hold onto relationships longer than I should.
The one ISTJ relationship I am aware of like this, is with an ESFJ.
For whatever reason, they seemingly cant stand one another...yet hold on to one another. It seems a muse gone bad situation. The thing they most liked about one another in the beginning is driving the other completely away.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a dear, elderly aunt who is an ISTJ. She periodically rakes people over the coals for being irresponsible or doing the wrong things. It can be quite difficult to be on the receiving end. It has happened to me only a couple of times. Despite that, she has a heart of pure gold. She has devoted her entire life to working hard, being of service, and generously giving to help people get back on their feet. She is an extreme recluse socially, but gives more to others than she receives back.

Since she uses her own resources of diligence and character to provide for others, she feels very let down when they don't exhibit the same behaviors after she has helped them. She moves me deeply as a person because even though her personality is quite abrasive and difficult for many people to take, she is in fact a pure soul.

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
It is an XSTJ thing.
I live with one of each...it is like having the behavior police on patrol 24/7.

AND are OFFENDED if anyone says a thing to them about THEIR behavior.

Yes. This is one of my parents to a (is)T(j).

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Like now. I was just notified that my friend (who is a girl) just cheated on her boyfriend for the second time (same guy both times). I was there to talk to her after the first time and supposedly we worked it all out and she said she made a mistake and it wasn't gonna happen again. Not even a week fucking later. I'm boiling right now. I simply can't talk to her about this. I have nothing to say about it that won't completely drive her away from wanting to be my friend.

Wow, people...