• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Voice Recognition

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I have excellent voice recognition skills. If I hear a voice out of nowhere that I've heard even once before in my life, I can identify it. You know the electronic voice recognition systems - well I could probably serve as one.

Don't know if it's Si or non-type related, but what about other SJs - do u have great voice recognition? Non-SJs are also free to answer.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
EDIT: sorry, didn't see that this concerned SJs only. Remove the post if necessary. Jesus' blessings upon ye.

I think Si has more to do with visual memory, to be honest.
Visual and auditory memory are two separate things, and they each have their own parts of the brain.
Si and the like are more fuzzy and dodgy... :D

Si is my crappiest function. I'm horrible at it. I've got no sense of direction in building complexes and cities (works very well in nature, though), I can't learn Karate katas (movement patterns) if my life depended on it... I actually spent half a year trying to learn the first basic Kata, and I failed at it. Despite practicing three times a week and at home.
Beat that...
But, the point being that my auditory memory is effing awesome.
I never take notes. I write calendar dates on my computer, but that's as far as it goes.
Went through my entire time in school without any actual homework (except once when I crash-coursed 9th grade math in nine hours.), just relying on what I had listened to during classes.
I think that I have some natural tendencies towards this, but laziness sure perfected it.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I think Si has more to do with visual memory, to be honest.
Visual and auditory memory are two separate things, and they each have their own parts of the brain.
Si and the like are more fuzzy and dodgy... :D

I completely disagree with this. Si aids in all sorts of sensory storage, and it's not just limited to visual stimuli. Sure, most people operate off of visual memories, so usually Si is attributed to recognizing/remembering visual details, but it is certainly not limited to that. Some people are more inclined to go off of auditory details, and for these people, Si is manifested in an auditory way. So yeah, I definitely would say that the ability to notice fine details and discrepancies between voices, store these details, and reference back to the bank of details is a process attributed to Si.

Perhaps you use Si more than you realize, YLJ, if you so easily remember auditory stimuli...

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I completely disagree with this. Si aids in all sorts of sensory storage, and it's not just limited to visual stimuli. Sure, most people operate off of visual memories, so usually Si is attributed to recognizing/remembering visual details, but it is certainly not limited to that. Some people are more inclined to go off of auditory details, and for these people, Si is manifested in an auditory way. So yeah, I definitely would say that the ability to notice fine details and discrepancies between voices, store these details, and reference back to the bank of details is a process attributed to Si.

Then, maybe Si is way too broad of a term.
The brain certainly doesn't think it's the same thing operating.
I'll take your word for it, though. Makes perfect MBTI sense. :)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I was thinking it may be Si because my brain registered the voice of one particular person when I first heard it. It then was able to decipher through the minutae of the voices of the tons of other people I've heard to say "This is Person X talking".

EDIT: sorry, didn't see that this concerned SJs only. Remove the post if necessary. Jesus' blessings upon ye.

No problem, I'll open it to non-SJs also.

Yeah, I definitely agree (so I disagree with YLJ on the auditory/visual point). Si is about using all 5 senses.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Then, maybe Si is way too broad of a term.
The brain certainly doesn't think it's the same thing operating.
I'll take your word for it, though. Makes perfect MBTI sense. :)

Why do you think Si is too broad of a term? It's responsible for direct sensory input and storage and directly applying that sensory input/storage to new experiences to reach a solution. Why is that broad?

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I agree that Si aids in all kinds of memory, and the manifestation of it differs with the individual. I personally have zero visual observation skills, so my visual memory is predictably low. But tell me a fact, or let me read or hear something, I'll remember it forever.

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I don't have that voice recognition skill, but I have body & face shape recognition. I can recognise a person only from a blurred photo full off people.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Voice recognition .. No.

But i will remember your face forever.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I use voice recognition to recognize people very often. My vision is absolutely horrible. Without glasses on I can't recognize facial features outside of 5-6 feet. Even with glasses I'm worse than most at identifying visual features of people. However voices are one of the best ways I can identify people. Hearing just part of a word from someone I know I recognize them very quickly. I don't quite have your instant realization of their name but I'll remember a general idea/feeling of the person and soon thereafter come up with a name. As I have decent Si this may be connected.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
When I was young, I turned down a VERY nice girl. (Yeah, irony.)

I have not talked to her in YEARS (like, MANY years.) The other day I was driving in my home town and decided to get some taco bell. I went up to the drive thru and a voice came across the speaker. I thought to myself "hmm... that sounds kind of familiar..." At that point though, I had no idea who it was.

Lo and behold, I pull up to the window and get my food and there she is! :doh: It was a slightly tense moment, she didn't have anything to say about me as I tried to play it off by being friendly to her. Oh well. I get what I deserve I guess. :-/

So, yes, I would say I remember voice prints very well.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
It might be Si - I'm not an SJ but I have Si as one of my functions, and not only do I have great voice recognition, but I also am adept at mimicking the speech patterns and vocal intonations etc. of people that I'm close to.

I'm terrible with names, though. Geez.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
When I was young, I turned down a VERY nice girl. (Yeah, irony.)

I have not talked to her in YEARS (like, MANY years.) The other day I was driving in my home town and decided to get some taco bell. I went up to the drive thru and a voice came across the speaker. I thought to myself "hmm... that sounds kind of familiar..." At that point though, I had no idea who it was.

Lo and behold, I pull up to the window and get my food and there she is! :doh: It was a slightly tense moment, she didn't have anything to say about me as I tried to play it off by being friendly to her. Oh well. I get what I deserve I guess. :-/

So, yes, I would say I remember voice prints very well.

Haha that's what I'm talking about - at least you knew it was familiar even after so many years. Must've been pretty strange in your case though.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Yeah it really sucked..... it just brought back a lot of bad/old memories. Oh well, that's what I get for rollin' in my home town. :-/