• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs enjoy unoriginal gifts?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
If it were me, I'd be happy with video games or $$.

He is the kind of guy who asks for socks and underwear every year. Unoriginal. Yet, he likes it and expects it. So I guess I'll just go along doing the same old thing. Lol

Socks and underwear? Wtf, one year I got socks for my birthday and I was PISSED off.

Can you cook? Bake them something.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most xSTJ's would enjoy something they could use.

I love desserts, but if it were me, I would not want it as a present because I like something with lasting value.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He is the kind of guy who asks for socks and underwear every year. Unoriginal. Yet, he likes it and expects it. So I guess I'll just go along doing the same old thing. Lol
That sounds consistent with the comments of not wanting to receive gifts and the reasons that followed. Socks and underwear are like the non-gift, but in the end are at least useful. Money isn't wasted, little is spent, but the result is useful to the same degree as the investment that went into it. That's my guess. My aunt is an ISTJ and is clear about not accepting gifts at the holiday. Still, she has a heart of gold and was has been a wonderful support to me through the years. I've been thinking about her and wanting to get her something unobtrusive - at least a card with a well thought out message.

Perhaps a gift card to a book store or coffee shop? It isn't original, but still allows the person to suit themselves to some degree.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Perhaps a gift card to a book store or coffee shop? It isn't original, but still allows the person to suit themselves to some degree.

I dislike gift cards too. Gift card is less valuable than money, while still costing the same amount. Any shop takes money, but only one kind of store takes specific gift cards. And it's almost impossible to use gift cards without paying little extra, or not using your gift card wholy.

If it was up to me, gifts would be illegal. :1377:

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Baking something sounds like it would be a good idea, but I'd keep it plain just in case they didn't like a certain fruit/were allergic to nuts/etc. Gingerbread cookies? I don't know.

I'm probably not an xSTJ but my favorite gifts are 1) ones that I use a lot and 2) something that I couldn't buy on my own (especially from out-of-town places). Don't know if this would help you though, unless you're going out of town before you have to get them a gift.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
My aunt is an ISTJ and is clear about not accepting gifts at the holiday. Still, she has a heart of gold and was has been a wonderful support to me through the years. I've been thinking about her and wanting to get her something unobtrusive - at least a card with a well thought out message.

I love gifts, I just don't like Christmas because people who don't normally care what I'm doing most of the year are suddenly giving me gifts out of obligation. I like gifts when they're expressions of something sincere and show the person understands my uniqueness.

If your aunt is anything like me and you really do appreciate her it I don't think it would be obtrusive to get her something beyond a gift card that communicates that appreciation and recognition. I don't think any type would mind that. And it seems that it's the holiday thing that she has an issue with rather than gifts in general? Maybe write the message or present the gift in such a way that Christmas is only a secondary reason for the gift.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I dislike gift cards too. Gift card is less valuable than money, while still costing the same amount. Any shop takes money, but only one kind of store takes specific gift cards.

So true. Give me cash, and forget about the gift card.

If it was up to me, gifts would be illegal.

:1377:

I love gifts, I just don't like Christmas because people who don't normally care what I'm doing most of the year are suddenly giving me gifts out of obligation.

And you're complaining about that? I don't see anything wrong with that.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
And you're complaining about that? I don't see anything wrong with that.

It's not "wrong" per se. It's just when I know certain people talk about me and judge me and/or really don't care how I'm doing most of the year, I don't take their gifts at Christmas seriously, because they're doing it out of obligation, not because they care about me.

A person who cares about me and to whom Christmas is also important is different, I would accept the gift in a different spirit, even if to me Christmas doesn't mean much because I know what it means to them.

I just don't like the hypocrisy and then I have to sit there and smile and act grateful and appreciative of the same people above and what they gave me.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
It's not "wrong" per se. It's just when I know certain people talk about me and judge me and/or really don't care how I'm doing most of the year, I don't take their gifts at Christmas seriously, because they're doing it out of obligation, not because they care about me.

Exactly.

If you like me, show it when it's not obligated.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
My ISTJ likes video games, gadgets(the newest ones), and food. Oh, and very nice shoes and clothes. A gift card that would help get any of the above would suffice as well.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

A person who cares about me and to whom Christmas is also important is different, I would accept the gift in a different spirit, even if to me Christmas doesn't mean much because I know what it means to them.

I just don't like the hypocrisy and then I have to sit there and smile and act grateful and appreciative of the same people above and what they gave me.

Ah I see, I don't look that much into it. I'm just happy I get a gift, haha.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Get 'em stuff they need! Doesn't matter if it's boring or not (if they're like me). One of my favorite gifts last year was a hot pot! 'cause I needed one :) So if you ever hear them complaining about, say, their toaster, which doesn't work...