• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Being Mistaken for Another Type

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Oh I wouldn't know, I only watched Law and Order (SVU) two years ago during winter break because there were constant marathons and I just had knee surgery so I was confined to my bed I'm a t.v. show whore though, I have tons of t.v. shows on dvd! :laugh:
:D Do those sound SJ-like?

I admit, having a collection of TV shows on DVD is rather SJ-like feature. :D
Gotta catch 'em all, know what I mean! :newwink:

I'd say my favorite shows at the moment are Battlestar Galactica (I miss it :()...

BSG is (space) soap opera. ;)

The pictures kind of a represent a moment where I'm by myself and can just close my eyes and think outside of the reality that I usually enjoy living in..

A-ha! So, maybe you are truely an INFP, who's being forced to act like an SJ due to prevailing circumstances! (No, I'm never giving this up.)

Also, I'd like to add that BlackCat is also a hibernating INFP. Cat-pictures gave him up.

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Is your collection also organized by genre? ;)

BSG is (space) soap opera. ;)
True. Still a great show though. :yes:

A-ha! So, maybe you are truely an INFP, who's being forced to act like an SJ due to prevailing circumstances! (No, I'm never giving this up.)
Everyone in my family is xNFP (parents) or xSFP (sister) so, if anything, they pressure me to be more like that but I always resist and stick with my SJ. :laugh: Growing up around "P"s drove me crazy because they would never plan for things :( and I love making detailed schedules and I dislike changes in plans or uncertainty. And growing up around all "F"s was frustrating too! If I wanted something I'd also make a logical and well structured argument (sometimes even passing out a binder with an outline of that argument, the actual argument, and examples of what I wanted :tongue:) and they looked at me like I was crazy. :doh:

And whenever I argue with my xNFP parents they get mad because I don't show any ~emotions and they think I'm cold and businesslike. I told them that I'd rather have someone calmly discuss something with me in a cold business-like manner, then have someone be overemotional and scream out expletives at me. They disagree. :shock:

Also, I'd like to add that BlackCat is also a hibernating INFP. Cat-pictures gave him up.
I think you have an underlying obsession with INFPs. Perhaps you're projecting your own wishes onto us? :huh:

sigpic4644_3.gif
Hmm, your STJ levels do look fairly low...

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Everyone in my family is xNFP or xSFP so, if anything, they pressure me to be more like that but I always resist and stick with my SJ. :laugh: Growing up around "P"s drove me crazy because they would never plan for things :( and I love making detailed schedules and I dislike changes in plans or uncertainty. And growing up around all "F"s was frustrating too! If I wanted something I'd also make a logical and well structured argument (sometimes even passing out a binder with an outline of that argument, the actual argument, and examples of what I wanted :tongue:) and they looked at me like I was crazy. :doh:

Oh, that's an interesting situation. My family was a complete opposite. STJ rule was pretty strong back there. There should be a law about even distribution of types amongst families...

And whenever I argue with my xNFP parents they get mad because I don't show any ~emotions and they think I'm cold and businesslike. I told them that I'd rather have someone calmly discuss something with me in a cold business-like manner, then have someone be overemotional and scream out expletives at me. They disagree. :shock:

I don't even recall emotions being discussed in my family... :shock:

I think you have an underlying obsession with INFPs. Perhaps you wish to be one?

Would you like me to be one?

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Oh, that's an interesting situation. My family was a complete opposite. STJ rule was pretty strong back there. There should be a law about even distribution of types amongst families...
You had an STJ in the house? My friends always complained about their STJ parents and kept telling me how "cool" my ENFP parents were. :shock: I actually got along with their STJ parents quite well and kept telling them that they "weren't so bad". :laugh:

There definitely needs to be a balance. It was like I was always the odd one out in the family!

I don't even recall emotions being discussed in my family... :shock:
:wubbie: That sounds nice. In my family there were always emotions flying off everywhere every.single.second. of the day it seemed. :huh: And they always talked about their feelings and wanted to know why I never said "I love you" or hugged them enough ever. :shock:

I'm not as strong of an ISTJ as I used to be though, so we get along better now. Or perhaps that's just because I'm older and no longer live with them :laugh: (and therefore don't have to deal with them on a daily basis, haha).

Would you like me to be one?
Do you want a hug?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL.... is this what it's like what two ISTJ's flirt?

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Yes, catch them all even if that means seven seasons worth. And they must be watched in order! :D

I hope you don't mean soap operas, because I'll kill you. 'Course, I could be an NT.
No way. :)

Why did I choose those pics? To me, those pictures represent a moment when I'm not planning something, not being a sarcastic smart ass, not planning for the future or trying to decide what needs to be done right now, not being around other people and feeling awkward because I don't ~feel things like they do or open up easily or respond well to "touchy feely" stuff or spontaneity.

The pictures kind of a represent a moment where I'm by myself and can just close my eyes and think outside of the reality that I usually enjoy living in, the responsibilities that I usually take on, and the worries that my 6w5 consantly makes me think about.

I guess, in less words, the picture shows: a moment of self-reflection and indulgence. Which is what the MBTI is for me. So it was appropriate for this site. :)

Sorry for the long answer! :blush:
Very interesting. I didn't know ISTJ's had these kind of self reflections. I will have to observe them more closely to see if I can catch any glimpses of it. That would be interesting, indeed. :D

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
entj's often see me as someone they can relate to, especially in the beginning. Starting sentences with "people like us" or saying, "you and I are SO alike." I don't know why. I think some people at work see me this way, too. Especially newer people. Since i'm quite a delegator when shit hits the fan.
I've gotten this with a couple of entp's as well. Its bizzare, both types are quite opposite of me.
Many of my friends are super extraverted and would see me as a definite ISFP, but they may or may not be right, can't tell.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

That means he just really likes us! :newwink:

Very interesting. I didn't know ISTJ's had these kind of self reflections. I will have to observe them more closely to see if I can catch any glimpses of it. That would be interesting, indeed.

That would be introversion. :)

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
That would be introversion. :)

I should have said self reflection with a desire to escape from reality like she mentioned. The ISTJs I know seem to be so incredibly down-to-earth...but perhaps I can see glimpses of a kind of a dreaminess in certain areas. Hmmm....

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I should have said self reflection with a desire to escape from reality like she mentioned. The ISTJs I know seem to be so incredibly down-to-earth...but perhaps I can see glimpses of a kind of a dreaminess in certain areas. Hmmm....
Hm, I think perhaps I worded that wrong. I never really want to escape from reality in the sense that I would be considered "dreamy" or "idealistic" (if you ever referred to me as that in front of any of my family or friends, they'd probably laugh and say that you're thinking of the wrong person :laugh:).

But what I meant was that sometimes it's nice to just take a "break" for a couple seconds, sit on a bench in the park on a nice fall day, close my eyes, feel the sun or breeze on me, and just think about things. Then get up, open my favorite planner, and hopefully have some clarity that will help me make the right decisions about my future plans. Lists, research, questions, etc. can only go so far...sometimes I need to check myself and get a little perspective by sitting by myself for a small amount of time and thinking things through. I love facts, but sometimes I have so many of them going through my mind that it's nice to have a moment without all my responsibilities and duties or deadlines (that I love so much...honestly, I do :)). But even with things you love it's nice to take a break so as to not get overwhelmed. :)

People always compliment me on being so calm, being "the rock" in a crisis, and having everything so organized and controlled. But internally, I'm not always as 100% sure about everything as I can seem. Sometimes I need a little introverted time and self-reflection too! ;) I need to visually go through scenarios in my mind and see what works best for me/everyone/the situation and what might be the repercussions of that course of action.

At least, I think that's what I meant.

Very interesting. I didn't know ISTJ's had these kind of self reflections. I will have to observe them more closely to see if I can catch any glimpses of it. That would be interesting, indeed. :D
We do. :yes: ISTJs can be very self reflective. I just think that we are really good with doing it whilst also doing other things (i.e we're NOT - sitting around all day unproductively thinking about the "meaning of life" but INSTEAD - going about our daily routine, tasks, etc. and completing those efficiently, while at the same time making internal observations about ourselves or those around us). Or some ISTJs might prioritize it (i.e. completing all the tasks on our list and doing what needs to be done, then after that spending a moment self-reflecting).

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't think so but then I'm the one getting my family/friends to take the test, so ... I think i am pretty transparent.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
We do. :yes: ISTJs can be very self reflective. I just think that we are really good with doing it whilst also doing other things (i.e we're NOT - sitting around all day unproductively thinking about the "meaning of life" but INSTEAD - going about our daily routine, tasks, etc. and completing those efficiently, while at the same time making internal observations about ourselves or those around us). Or some ISTJs might prioritize it (i.e. completing all the tasks on our list and doing what needs to be done, then after that spending a moment self-reflecting).

I agree with that. I'm very self-reflective. It's rather a big need of mine, I just don't necessarily show it or talk about it. It's private for me and isn't something I put out there in my every-day persona. And yes, I often self-reflect while doing other things.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
irl I seem like an ESFP who acts like an ISFJ.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
ENFJ - Some people who do not know me very well have a hard time believing that I am introverted. This especially goes for classmates.
ISFP - My friends all think I am very laid back and go with the flow. They don't realize it's a constant effort not to just take control of every situation and boss everyone around until things are exactly how I think they should be.

My mom might think I'm some sort of S because she always claims I have wonderful observational skills. For example, if a family friend whose wife just passed away came over, I am likely to observe things like whether or not he is still wearing his ring, how often he brings up her name, etc. This is only due to me thinking that this information is important but in most situations, I couldn't tell you if my boyfriend shaved his beard, where I'm at when I'm driving/riding in a car, etc.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Depends. People who guess my type based on how I act in everyday life and, in particular, in a work setting always guess I'm an N and a P (zero observation skills, weak follow-through, etc). People who guess my type based on my opinions guess I'm SJ. They're probably right. Who knows...

I completely get where Autumn Reverie is coming from: I don't have any other SJs in my family or even among my close friends. Plenty of INFx and xNTP though...

Works

MBTI Type
INTP
I can do a pretty good ESFP impersonation when drunk. Heck, I can do it sober.

At school, my colleagues probably assume I'm an ENTP.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh it ranges from the following:
ESFP: because I'm outgoing and crazy sometimes. But I'm so introverted its not funny.
ISFJ: because I came here thinking I was one, so some still think I am.
INFP: This one flatters me actually.

:rolli: go figure.

I wonder if I could be mistaken for a T? hmmm....