• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Being Mistaken for Another Type

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
My friends aren't really familiar with types, but I think I'm often mistaken for an introvert because I am often not extremely outgoing when I first meet people.

I also think people mistake me for an iNtuative-type person at times because I have a creative bent and I also tend to enjoy some of what I would consider NF forms of entertainment.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most people irl that know about MBTI think I am xxTJ, xNTJ most frequently.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Whaa...? But the fluffy bunny is so fluffy and cute.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Have you ever been mistaken for another type? Which types and what reasons did they give?

If the pictures in your avatar/profile page are yours, then I say you are INFP. And that it's YOU who have been mistaken. :cool:

Not many people know about MBTI in my circles... and most of them only know what I've told them, so they really can't have much opinions about my type.. Which is sad. Where can I find buy MBTI-aware friends? :D

But sometimes I feel that people might mistak me for being E or N type of guy. Usually when I'm shoving facts down their throats... :unsure:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If the pictures in your avatar/profile page are yours, then I say you are INFP. And that it's YOU who have been mistaken. :cool:

Funny how that works.

I think we should all use the "profile picture" standard as our future type determination. After all, we can't even like or enjoy or upload a picture that might not directly reflect every ounce of our MBTI code descriptor.

(Maybe someone would like to create a standard profile pic for each of the 16 types, so that no one deviates in the future, it's getting confusing.)

Qre:us

I think we should all use the "profile picture" standard as our future type determination. After all, we can't even like or enjoy or upload a picture that might not directly reflect every ounce of our MBTI code descriptor.

It's a great way to fuck with stereotypes and pre-conceived MBTI notions.

PS - that was not very NT of you.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a great way to fuck with stereotypes and pre-conceived MBTI notions. PS - that was not very NT of you.

I try to keep 'em guessing.

(Gotta keep up the charade! Actually, I'm an ESTJ preparing my full-fledged conquest of the forumz!)

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Funny how that works.

Well, I just think that every action you take represents your personality. Whether you choose to use your photo as an avatar, or do you prefer something compeletely abstract. There's plethora of other small details to notice that will tell of your personality.

I've been rather successful at typing people by photos, and what I see in that picture is completely against all things I consider ISTJish. The only plausable exception would be that it's intentionally meant to be non-ISTJ. But why would anyone post a picture that doesn't represent themself?

Let's hear it from the lady herself! What's the story behind the (lovely) pictures! :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I just think that every action you take represents your personality. Whether you choose to use your photo as an avatar, or do you prefer something compeletely abstract. There's plethora of other small details to notice that will tell of your personality.

I'm actually a "profiler" type myself in how I work.

The problem is that there are MANY reasons why someone might use a particular picture... and many of them say nothing substantial on their own about the person and their core personality.

The "how/why" matters more than the "what," and all data has to be looked at holistically and not as an isolated point.

I've been rather successful at typing people by photos, and what I see in that picture is completely against all things I consider ISTJish. The only plausable exception would be that it's intentionally meant to be non-ISTJ. But why would anyone post a picture that doesn't represent themself?

Many different reasons, but this is the most important:

Let's hear it from the lady herself! What's the story behind the (lovely) pictures! :D

Yup. Let's find out why she chose those pics.
That will tell you more than the mere presence of them.

G

Glycerine

Some sort of SJ- people think I am REALLY detail-oriented because I go into a lot of detail on certain topics and I can be over-the-top w/ seeking specifics (to compensate for my spaciness)

INFP- because an INFP thought we connected well.

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
my goal is to one day be mistaken for an ESTJ

hopefully this is possible on one of my manic trips

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
An INFP? :ohmy: Why do all of you ISTJ males keep trying to kick me out of the "ISTJ group"? :laugh: Tsk, tsk. I'm staying. :tongue:

How is an ISTJ female supposed to look like? Have shorter hair? Not wear a dress? :huh: Have a military-focused avatar? An avatar proclaiming love for the history channel?

Not many people know about MBTI in my circles... and most of them only know what I've told them, so they really can't have much opinions about my type.. Which is sad. Where can I find buy MBTI-aware friends? :D
Hmm, most of the people I know who are MBTI-aware in real life are INFx types. Maybe you could go somewhere where they would be? ;)

Perhaps if the picture is a representation of a side of the ISTJ that not most people don't get to see? A glimpse behind the ISTJ wall and another layer or aspect of my personality? :)

Yup. Let's find out why she chose those pics.
That will tell you more than the mere presence of them.
Why did I choose those pics? To me, those pictures represent a moment when I'm not planning something, not being a sarcastic smart ass, not planning for the future or trying to decide what needs to be done right now, not being around other people and feeling awkward because I don't ~feel things like they do or open up easily or respond well to "touchy feely" stuff or spontaneity.

The pictures kind of a represent a moment where I'm by myself and can just close my eyes and think outside of the reality that I usually enjoy living in, the responsibilities that I usually take on, and the worries that my 6w5 consantly makes me think about.

I guess, in less words, the picture shows: a moment of self-reflection and indulgence. Which is what the MBTI is for me. So it was appropriate for this site. :)

Sorry for the long answer! :blush:

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
Soap operas = NF? :huh: What about SJs? ...Law and Order? :alttongue:

Soap operas suck. Law and Order jumped the shark a long time ago.
Smallville is probably the most soapy show I watch, and that I only watch because of the superheroes.

(You don't even need an ENTP when you have me derailing!)

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Oh I wouldn't know, I only watched Law and Order (SVU) two years ago during winter break because there were constant marathons and I just had knee surgery so I was confined to my bed I'm a t.v. show whore though, I have tons of t.v. shows on dvd! :laugh:

I stopped watching Smallville a long time ago though. I'd say my favorite shows at the moment are Battlestar Galactica (I miss it :(), Arrested Development (yay for a movie!) and Friday Night Lights (amazing and under appreciated). :D Do those sound SJ-like?