• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] Problems with my ISFJ Partner

Synthetic Darkness

I feel as though there's a great divide in communication between the two of us, that we both want to be together but at the same time we end up bickering over misunderstandings way too much. I don't understand him and he doesn't understand me. I just wish there was a way for the two of us to be together and get a mutual understanding of one another. I also can't help but think it's mainly my fault for not trusting him and not wanting to (in his words not mine) "take a chance" on him, this is my first I guess...serious relationship and while we do have some great times together a lot of the time we both end up fustrated and annoyed.

ISFJ's help!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why don't you trust him?

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
ISFJs are extremely loyal and trustworthy, just like ESFJs. They have high morals and would never manipulate anyone for fun in a very serious, low-self-esteem way. But, they may have their own demons. I am no ISFJ but my roommate is and I know her very well. She herself have self-esteem issues which leads to commitment issues but all she wants is a serious, stable relationship. Find out what his issues/weaknesses/fears are and your own and see if you two can't get to know each other in a raw way, be vulnerable with each other is most important. Just my opinion. What my ISFJ friend wanted from her INTP boyfriend was for him to fight for her and be very certain and confident of their relationship because she wasn't.

SubjectA

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I feel as though there's a great divide in communication between the two of us, that we both want to be together but at the same time we end up bickering over misunderstandings way too much. I don't understand him and he doesn't understand me. I just wish there was a way for the two of us to be together and get a mutual understanding of one another. I also can't help but think it's mainly my fault for not trusting him and not wanting to (in his words not mine) "take a chance" on him, this is my first I guess...serious relationship and while we do have some great times together a lot of the time we both end up fustrated and annoyed.

ISFJ's help!

I'm not an ISFJ, but I might be able to help, as I'm in a relationship with one.

One thing that I've learned was that you need to take deep breaths when you notice yourself getting angry with him. ISFJ's are very loyal to their friends and mates, and the last thing they want to do is hurt you. In fact, they can sometimes be downright offended if you accuse them of trying to manipulate you...so don't do that.

Me and my SO bicker a lot over what turns out to be misunderstandings, too. If this is the case, stop and realize that what you're getting angry over could be a misunderstanding. Just try to stay calm. And even if you do end up bickering, don't dwell on it. Just let it go and kiss and make up, so to speak. If you guys spend enough time together, you'll get to know one another's quirks.

Also, ISFJ's do want you to trust them as they realize that trust is an essential part of a relationship. I honestly think NT's have trust issues, but you do need to try. Ask him to be patient with you, but you've got to show an honest effort, too. I'm sure if an ISFJ male had it his way, you'd leap into his arms and be butter. :) But alas, NT's don't roll that way. It's just another thing you need to teach youself.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj1LDgph6PY"]ISFJ and ENTP[/YOUTUBE]

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not so sure people know what love is, and have very unrealistic expectations for relationships.

If it's a partner, you're supposed to bicker...argue, fight...not understand each other. It's supposed to be miserable.

Until one day you reach Nirvana, give up on the petty crap and learn to love another human being no matter what.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ITT, awesome make-up sex.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ITT, awesome make-up sex.

True.

:blush:

....as far as the rest, yeah, trust that the ISFJ is probably doing his best to be loyal, true, devoted, and whatnot. They take relational commitments very seriously and expect similar from their mates and while they tend to never quit, they will inside perhaps become very angry when the commitment is not reciprocated.

early in their relationships, they can become passive-aggressive. Later, they just learn to take responsibility for their own choices and realize not everyone will reciprocate.

Biggest issue I see is the lack of vision outside the norm. Their tastes tend to be more conventional, and until they get some experience with NTP types, they will get along with them fine on a casual level but in a committed relationship will just not understand why you're doing what you're doing ("why are you acting that way / saying that??"), might take NT cavalier behavior / aloofness personally, and not understand the need for flex and exploration.

ISFJs generally want things to be stable, secure, and defined. You can see why this might cause conflict with ENTP.

slippy said:
Until one day you reach Nirvana, give up on the petty crap and learn to love another human being no matter what.

There you go.
That's the bottom line in this style of relationship.

Anything else and it's going to throw sparks.