• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFJ] Random questions about ESFJ's

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I'm interesting in hearing some feedback about the following questions from Sas or any other ESFJ's on here. I'd also love to get the perspective of those who are close to an ESFJ and have observed the way they work. Anyone can feel free to add their own questions, as well. Please forgive my lack of knowledge about functions and types as I ask these questions.

1. As an ESFJ, how extroverted do you believe yourself to be? Do others perceive you as extroverted? Are you "the life of the party" or does your extroversion display itself in other ways?
  2. How organized and neat do you consider yourself to be? Are you meticulous about keeping things spotless and cleaned up? Are you more concerned about the details of a clean room or the overall cleanness of the room? Do you ever let things get messy because you've put priority on other things? If so, what takes priority?
  3. How emotional do you consider yourself to be? Which emotions do you tend to feel on a regular basis? Are you quick to get angry? Do you consider yourself sensitive to criticism?
  4. What lengths do you go to to avoid conflict? What forces you to deal with conflict? Do you ever try to hide your hurt feelings or negative emotions from others? If so, why do you do this? Are you successful at hiding them or do people always know something is wrong?
  5. When telling a story, do you get caught up in the details? Do you have a tendency to say the same thing in multiple ways to make sure you are understood and that you're making yourself clear?

That's all for now. May add more later. I would really appreciate any responses. Thanks in advance for your help!

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Also, if anyone could give any kind of clear overview of how the functions work for an ESFJ, that would be very helpful! Fe, Si, Ne, Ti

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm pretty close with an ESFJ and these are my observations:

As an ESFJ, how extroverted do you believe yourself to be? Do others perceive you as extroverted? Are you "the life of the party" or does your extroversion display itself in other ways?

She feels as though she is introverted. But my observation is that she clams up around new people until she gets a sense of who they are, but then becomes very extroverted. But her initial reaction to new people is silent suspicion. Otherwise, she is definitely extroverted especially in the way she presents herself physically - at a party she'll have the shortest of skirts and the highest of heels, or she'll present the most elaborate home made birthday cake. Everything with flair, and she likes to be noticed.

How organized and neat do you consider yourself to be? Are you meticulous about keeping things spotless and cleaned up? Are you more concerned about the details of a clean room or the overall cleanness of the room? Do you ever let things get messy because you've put priority on other things? If so, what takes priority?

She likes things neat and organized, but isn't as meticulous with cleanliness. As long as things look in order, she doesn't inspect further. Things come out of the dishwasher with food stuck to them and she wouldn't notice or care, as long as they are put in their proper place. Things get messy when she is busy with her kids but will very soon drive her crazy. Imbalance drives her insane. If her husband hangs a picture a little off center, she can't focus on anything else.

How emotional do you consider yourself to be? Which emotions do you tend to feel on a regular basis? Are you quick to get angry? Do you consider yourself sensitive to criticism?

She's so damn emotional and she knows it. She says things like " a good cry" often. When she's mad, she screams and throws plates. When she's happy, she'll laugh and bake. She never holds back. And if she tries to, there will be an explosion later. She doesn't get angry often though. She whines more than anything else.

What lengths do you go to to avoid conflict? What forces you to deal with conflict? Do you ever try to hide your hurt feelings or negative emotions from others? If so, why do you do this? Are you successful at hiding them or do people always know something is wrong?

She will do anything, *anything*, to avoid conflict. She has taken the dumbest shit from people (IF those people have something to offer her in the long run). If this person is not important to her, she can be extremely rude and direct. But when dealing with her mother-in-law, for instance, she'll grin and bear it, always.

When telling a story, do you get caught up in the details? Do you have a tendency to say the same thing in multiple ways to make sure you are understood and that you're making yourself clear?

She just tells what happened, without too many details. She says more details than I care to hear, but she'll never hold up the story if she's trying to remember a specific thing or name. She doesn't normally retell things a different way. If she tells me a story, she'll tell someone else that same story later with the exact same words. If she comes to an epiphane about something, she'll recount her discovery with the same intonation and dramatic pauses each time.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Thanks so much for your reply. I can relate to a lot of what you said and it clears some things up. The questions I asked are things that sometimes cause me to question my type

She feels as though she is introverted. But my observation is that she clams up around new people until she gets a sense of who they are, but then becomes very extroverted. But her initial reaction to new people is silent suspicion. Otherwise, she is definitely extroverted especially in the way she presents herself physically - at a party she'll have the shortest of skirts and the highest of heels, or she'll present the most elaborate home made birthday cake. Everything with flair, and she likes to be noticed.
That's exactly how I am as far as first interactions to people and then my response to them later after I know them well. I sometimes feel that I am introverted because I often am quiet and reserved at first. However, when I take the tests, I score as 75% extroverted. I love to be out and about and meeting new people, but when placed in a group of new people I tend to just observe for quite awhile before I start getting involved. But then put me in a group of several friends and my personality can be attention-getting and enthusiastic. In those situations, I feel totally energized and alive.

She likes things neat and organized, but isn't as meticulous with cleanliness. As long as things look in order, she doesn't inspect further. Things come out of the dishwasher with food stuck to them and she wouldn't notice or care, as long as they are put in their proper place. Things get messy when she is busy with her kids but will very soon drive her crazy. Imbalance drives her insane. If her husband hangs a picture a little off center, she can't focus on anything else.
Again, that's exactly how I am. Sometimes I let certain things get messy and put off cleaning up because I'm busy doing other things. For some reason my office space stays tidy and neat but my car accumulates stuff quite awhile before I get around to cleaning it. But certain little things bother me a great deal.

She's so damn emotional and she knows it. She says things like " a good cry" often. When she's mad, she screams and throws plates. When she's happy, she'll laugh and bake. She never holds back. And if she tries to, there will be an explosion later. She doesn't get angry often though. She whines more than anything else.
That's pretty much what I'm like except that I don't get too destructive if I get mad. I am fairly easily annoyed by minor inconveniences, but I'm not typically easy to anger. Things I read sometimes make ESFJ's sound like they are going around in fits of range. I feel like most of the time I'm pretty happy, and when I'm unhappy it's generally sadness/hurt/worry rather than anger.

She will do anything, *anything*, to avoid conflict. She has taken the dumbest shit from people (IF those people have something to offer her in the long run). If this person is not important to her, she can be extremely rude and direct. But when dealing with her mother-in-law, for instance, she'll grin and bear it, always.
Ok, yes. This is me, as well. If I don't care about my relationship with someone, I can be pretty blunt and almost uncaring with their feelings. But people who are close to me are the ones I want to hide my negative emotions from the most. I worry about being a burden to them and worry about hurting them by sharing my negative feelings. However, I'm not able to hide them at all. People can always tell when I'm upset about something even if I try my hardest to hide it.

She just tells what happened, without too many details. She says more details than I care to hear, but she'll never hold up the story if she's trying to remember a specific thing or name. She doesn't normally retell things a different way. If she tells me a story, she'll tell someone else that same story later with the exact same words. If she comes to an epiphane about something, she'll recount her discovery with the same intonation and dramatic pauses each time.
Very interesting. I think the latter part is true. I also have a knack for retelling a story the same way another person has told it. However, I think I am often prone to repeating myself in order to reinforce clarity. I don't necessarily always get hung up on the details if I can't remember them correctly...I am just inclined to give too many (for example, "And I was wearing such-and-such..." and then I stop and remind myself that it doesn't even pertain to the story and there's no need to include that detail).

Anyway, these are all things that cause me to question at times whether I got my type right.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Wooo Hooo .. About time too ;) We should have more threads about us.

How extroverted do you believe yourself to be?
Pretty extroverted. No problems talking to strangers. Even worse when drunk.

Do others perceive you as extroverted?
Yes, i believe so. Well i was at the pub the other day for lunch, on the floor, on my hands and knees, showing someone an example of something .. Do introverts do that?

Are you "the life of the party" or does your extroversion display itself in other ways?
I am not the life of the party unless i am drunk but i can easily walk into a room and wont be worried if i know no one. I'll make friends or just have conversations with people.

How organized and neat do you consider yourself to be?
More laid back these days .. My youngest (ENTP messy kid) actually asked me the other day 'When was the last time you hoovered the living room?' I don't go in there often and it was a mess :blush:

Are you meticulous about keeping things spotless and cleaned up?
Used to be very bad with this .. Now the pots can stay in the sink over night and the world won't end. I do get a little anal if someone has eaten something and there are crumbs on the counter.

Are you more concerned about the details of a clean room or the overall cleanness of the room?
You think to much ;) Is the room clean to my (lowered) standard, then great.

Do you ever let things get messy because you've put priority on other things? If so, what takes priority?
It will get cleaned eventually .. There are not enough hours in the day for the rest of the stuff i want to do. Read that book or clean .. Read :D

How emotional do you consider yourself to be?
I am in a better place regarding that .. I can evaluate if it is beneficial to me these days .. Got a better hold on them.

Which emotions do you tend to feel on a regular basis?
Optimism although that is more of an explanatory style than an emotion.

Are you quick to get angry?
There are many levels of anger .. I can get pissed at something but calm down 5 seconds later. I haven't blown up in quite a while.

Do you consider yourself sensitive to criticism?
No .. I love criticism .. Think outside the box people :D

What lengths do you go to to avoid conflict?
In the past, great lengths .. Realise now, communication really is the key. So i might get hurt from it, better than hiding your head in the sand.

What forces you to deal with conflict?
Past experiences :newwink:

Do you ever try to hide your hurt feelings or negative emotions from others?
Used to .. Not anymore .. It is liberating being honest with someone even if it does hurt.

Are you successful at hiding them or do people always know something is wrong?
This is what i realised .. People who truly know me, know i have a mushy side to me. This exterior is from hard life experiences. If these people can already see a part of me that i am trying to hide and still are not taking advantage of it .. Why continue to hide it? Makes no sense.

When telling a story, do you get caught up in the details?
Yes, i am a bugger for it. It is good on line because i can actually see what i am about to post and edit it, lol :blush:

Do you have a tendency to say the same thing in multiple ways to make sure you are understood and that you're making yourself clear?
If they understand what i am saying then i won't repeat it although sometimes the same advice can be applied to another subject so I'll make reference to it. I think it all depends on who i am talking to.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Thanks, Sas. I'm with you...I'm learning how to be more open and honest about resolving conflict before it goes ignored for too long. But I admit it is extremely hard.

One other thing...I am more anal about other people's mess than my own. Is that normal? I am more worried about picking up/washing dishes when I go to my boyfriend's house than I am at my own house.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Thanks, Sas. I'm with you...I'm learning how to be more open and honest about resolving conflict before it goes ignored for too long. But I admit it is extremely hard.

One other thing...I am more anal about other people's mess than my own. Is that normal? I am more worried about picking up/washing dishes when I go to my boyfriend's house than I am at my own house.

I resolved a lot of issues when i experienced a huge trauma (well, to me it was), it shook the very foundations of my being and helped me realise that my thinking had become incredibly warped and narrow over the years.
So for me, it was a blessing in disguise.

Lol .. Oh gosh .. Both me and my mum are esfj and when we visit each others houses, we are both cleaning up something. I am just trying to help her though so she doesn't have to do it later, it gives her free time to do something else. I am sure the same applies when she comes round my house.
:blush:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I now have some questions for you wrldisquiethere :newwink:

Regarding relationships, you do ever (try to) go back to your partner after it has finished?

Do you ever over analyze situations to the point you feel like your head is going to explode?

Do you try to grasp new concepts such as physics, quantum mechanics, knowing full well you won't be able to but will try anyway?

What is your idea of fun?

Do you make to do lists? Or do you just remember everything in your head then forget and rush around doing them all at last minute? Lol

I'll think of some more.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Lol .. Oh gosh .. Both me and my mum are esfj and when we visit each others houses, we are both cleaning up something. I am just trying to help her though so she doesn't have to do it later, it gives her free time to do something else. I am sure the same applies when she comes round my house.
:blush:
Haha! Yes! That's exactly why I do it...so they can focus on other things. Funny.

I also have an ISTJ friend that I am very careful and meticulous about my tidiness when I go to her house. But that's because if I'm not I'm afraid she'll kick me in the shins. Haha!

Regarding relationships, you do ever (try to) go back to your partner after it has finished?
It depends. I have always struggled with truly letting go. I think that I have to know that I have absolutely done everything I possibly can to resolve a relationship before I can move on. And quite frankly, I am so hard on myself that it's hard for me to get to that place and it often takes a long time. But honestly once I get to the place where I decide to move on and make that choice, I will do whatever it takes to do so and I won't look back. So I think it depends on what stage I'm at emotionally in the letting-go process. I will say I've been known to try to get someone back before.

Do you ever over analyze situations to the point you feel like your head is going to explode?
Sometimes. I think I've gotten better about this over the years, though. But there is always that tendency. It drives me crazy. I can totally relate to the feeling that your head is about to explode!

Do you try to grasp new concepts such as physics, quantum mechanics, knowing full well you won't be able to but will try anyway?
Yes. Heaven only knows how many times I have tried to read about physics and time travel. Still don't understand it more than a little bit, but oh how I wish I could! And I will try!

What is your idea of fun?
I think fun to me is being able to let loose and focus on letting go of responsibility for awhile to enjoy the company of others. I love going out with friends or having friends over and just being crazy. Laughing about things...enjoying life together. I love getting outdoors with people and enjoying nature together or having people over and eating a good meal or playing games that causes everyone to enjoy the company and the differences of one another. During this time the only responsibility I'm focused on is the happiness of my guests/friends, and I absolutely love when I am able to bring other people together and give them a good time together.

Do you make to do lists? Or do you just remember everything in your head then forget and rush around doing them all at last minute? Lol
I'll make to-do lists sometimes if I'm likely to forget things. I do often set up reminders (electronically) so I won't forget. I have to say I love the feeling of actually marking things off a list! The reality of it, though, is that even though I make these lists I don't really rely on them and seldom actually need them. I generally get things done as soon as I can so they won't be on my mental list, and if they have to be put off then I am likely to remember them in time, anyway. The mental to-do list never, ever sleeps. :D

By the way, I LOVED this PostSecret because I can relate to it so well. When making out a to-do list, I have often done this: put an item on the list that I'd already done and then checked it off...just for the sheer pleasure of having a checked off item.

n1276380112_30141748_4229.jpg

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Two questions for ESFJs...
1) Please shatter the stereotypical mother bear image I have whenever I think of the ESFJ type.
2) What do you like about being an ESFJ?

Thanks!

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
1) Please shatter the stereotypical mother bear image I have whenever I think of the ESFJ type.
I would really like to answer this but I'm not sure what to say. I know that the people close to me notice and appreciate that I am a nurturing person but I don't believe any of them think of me as being a mother bear. My BF thinks I'm damn sexy so I guess that helps keep me from being *too* mother bear in his estimation. Saslou is damn sexy, too, so you should look at her picture and then it might shatter the Mrs. Potts image you have of ESFJ's in general. Hah.

• I like being practical and down-to-earth.
  • I like being able to anticipate people's needs and provide for them.
  • I like having the ability to make each person feel special. A friend once said that I made every person individually feel like they were my best friend and like they are important to me. I'm glad I have that ability.
  • I like being able to think of creative ways to make people feel loved without having to try very hard. I like that it comes naturally.
  • I like the fact that my compassion for others allows me to comfort them when they're hurting.
  • I like the fact that I'm not a procrastinator and get things done in time.
  • I like being a dependable employee.
  • I like the fact that I get along with almost everyone and almost everyone I know enjoys my company.
  • I like the fact that children are drawn to me and feel safe with me. (So much for shattering that mother bear image! :doh:)

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thanks a lot!
I guess it takes more than one ESFJ to shatter the mother bear image :D.
It has also taken more than one ESTJ to shatter the conservative, controlling boss image I had of them :D (But for some reason, I've found almost immediately a small army of both real-life and imaginary ESTJs, who shattered the image with well-known efficiency)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

I think this "mother bear" image can also be viewed as a MILF, or cougar or anything else you'd like to substitute for it. Most of this outrageous stereotyping of ESFJs is because people overassociate ESFJs with mothers and being motherly. I bet people are probably even incorrectly typing their own mother as ESFJ or xSFJ. I think that's mostly a fault of type descriptions and how people generally conceive of Fe and FJs.

People don't typically ascribe sexual, sexy, earthy, or sensual characteristics to Fe for whatever reasons which is strange to me because Fe is usually thought of as being service-oriented in nature. I can think of a gajillion sexual thoughts based on that alone! Fe is associated with peas and carrots and making sure your bed is made...very asexual. Eh, their loss.

The mother bear image may be true depending of the age of the ESFJ and where there focus is. I'm 28 and most of the ESFJs I know are in their 20s and early 30s. I know skads of ESFJs and I would dare anyone to associate Mama Bear with them. These chicks are the hottest thing in the room and they know it, whether in a suit or wearing next to nothingm and also in attitude. I think people would mistype them as ESFPs probably. Location and local culture also has a lot to do with it. If you conjure up images of soccer moms when you think of ESFJ then that's a very incomplete picture. Like I said the ESFJs I know (and me too) are very career focused, kids are the last thing on anybody's to do list.

I just really like feeling people. I believe I have a heart towards other humans and their humanity. That sounds vague and like duh, but it's true. I guess Bjork says it best in that we're "irresistible." It's not difficult for me to get caught up in the human element. I'm not saying it's a "help" people thing, either. I feel very fond of people and even though they vex and frustrate me often I still don't want to push them away. I'm not a god sitting on Mt. Olympus looking at these curious creatures, I want to engage these creatures and experience things as they experience it. Argh, I'm doing crappy explanation but that's all I got for right now.

If I break it down functionally I'm happy I'm not Fi because they seem so torn up and anguished inside. I'm happy I'm not Te because I like feeling people, I'm not quite so efficiency minded and I feel like that would interfere with my doting upon humanity.

I'm OK with Ti, but I'm happy it doesn't predominate my thinking because it's a very isolating function. I feel it creeping up sometimes when I'm engaging with people and it makes me doubt people and view them as shadowy villains. That's good because it keeps me from being a mindless ninny but if that doubt is how TPs feel on a constant basis I would not want to feel like that either. I don't distrust people through my Fe, I distrust them through my Ti. Fe gives me no reason to distrust people, but Pi+Ti starts breaking them apart and questioning them. When used discerningly and judiciously, I don't distrust it. When I'm coasting on Fe+Pe, everyone's a friend and no one means harm or ill.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ

I have been a very protective mother over my boys .. Hurt them and I'd literally do time for you, if needs be. I have mellowed out over the last year though. Becoming a mother though at 16 and 18 yrs old .. I am so fucking proud of the way my boys have turned out :D I did a good job after all.

I am practical and grounded
Realistic yet optimistic
Enthusiastic and constantly seeking more knowledge
A true friend who will be there when needed most
I know how to have a darn good time
I love people and will forgive those who hurt me the most
Live and let live attitude
I love my sense of adventure (I need to go to Berlin now)
I personally think it is pretty awesome being an ESFJ.

:smile:

G

Glycerine

I'm interesting in hearing some feedback about the following questions from Sas or any other ESFJ's on here. I'd also love to get the perspective of those who are close to an ESFJ and have observed the way they work. Anyone can feel free to add their own questions, as well. Please forgive my lack of knowledge about functions and types as I ask these questions.

1. As an ESFJ, how extroverted do you believe yourself to be? Do others perceive you as extroverted? Are you "the life of the party" or does your extroversion display itself in other ways?
  2. How organized and neat do you consider yourself to be? Are you meticulous about keeping things spotless and cleaned up? Are you more concerned about the details of a clean room or the overall cleanness of the room? Do you ever let things get messy because you've put priority on other things? If so, what takes priority?
  3. How emotional do you consider yourself to be? Which emotions do you tend to feel on a regular basis? Are you quick to get angry? Do you consider yourself sensitive to criticism?
  4. What lengths do you go to to avoid conflict? What forces you to deal with conflict? Do you ever try to hide your hurt feelings or negative emotions from others? If so, why do you do this? Are you successful at hiding them or do people always know something is wrong?
  5. When telling a story, do you get caught up in the details? Do you have a tendency to say the same thing in multiple ways to make sure you are understood and that you're making yourself clear?

That's all for now. May add more later. I would really appreciate any responses. Thanks in advance for your help!
My dad is fairly extroverted and lights up a room when he socializes. However, he becomes quiet in certain situations like when he's around people that are more intense than he is or when he's stressed (he's probably like 7.0-7.5 out of 10 on the intensity level). One other thing to note is that his love language is affirmation so he feels like he NEEDS to help people to feel loved or that if he doesn't, it seems like he feels he let people down. That's how his extroversion plays out.

He's very organized and neat... pretty much a neat freak.

He is a very emotional man. He seems to get annoyed and/or angry almost on a daily basis, along w/ spurts of silliness in between. He's quick to anger but also quick to calm down. He's very sensitive to criticism. When my INFP mom tells him what he can improve on and/or tells him he made a mistake, he gets defensive (I don't blame him... unsolicited criticism can really suck).

Actually he's pretty assertive. He will tell it straight to your face if he needs to. 35 years in the military probably made him like it because you have to be really direct in that situation. However, on other things, he will engage in the informative interaction style. overall, he's not very conflict-avoiding. Oops, that didn't really answer the question. He will let you know he's mad just by the intense vibe he gives off, mild cursing, angry noises, and the frantic pace at which he will finish things.

I can't relate much to the last question other than the fact that he tells the same jokes and stories a lot, lol