• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] For those of you in Europe...

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm slated to go to Europe in January to spend a semester working for a member of European parliament.

Because I'm so anal it is no surprise that I am concerned about what to where around Europe.

So what do people wear in Europe, recreationnaly and for work?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Clothes?

Depends on the job and the country you go to. For a fancy job like that, I personally wear trendy/classic style which is decent with not too much cleavage etc. I'd say for the guys, a pants that isn't jeans, and looks almost like suit pants and a clean shirt will do the trick, though in your case you might wanna try a suit the first few days, just to feel the atmosphere. Otherwise, just ask them right out what the dresscode is, I do the same when I start a new job. Congratz btw on that position ;)

Recreationally, you can wear anything you want really, just don't flash shit all over the place, but even then we won't care. Jeans and a sweater are favs here too.

The Southern parts will be more into the whole bearing skin for obvious reasons, also their own temperature goes higher than those of us up North:alttongue:

I'd say most of Europe is indifferent to what you do though, unless you're planning on visiting churches and what not. Most Americans give themselves away with the baseball cap, sun glasses and clear accent though :D

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Thanks! I'm trying my best not to make me stand out as the obvious american.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, the norm is a bit different depending on which country you're going to. In London you can dress quite eccentric and idiosyncratic in your free time and no one in the street will bat an eyelid. You can see many different looks on the streets. In Russia women are more made up and make an effort to be a bit glamorous while in Germany (where I live) people tend not to care that much about being really stylish. Are you coming from America? I wouldn't worry about it too much and just wear what you would normally wear in your free time in your home country.

I also agree with Amargith that office dress will depend on the individual job conditions. For something like what you mentioned, I would say at the start wear clothes that are more on the conservative, sober, business side but without being super formal or looking too up-tight. That way you look like you care without being too extreme either way, then when you've gauged the dress culture you can adjust if you have to.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Clothes?

Depends on the job and the country you go to. For a fancy job like that, I personally wear trendy/classic style which is decent with not too much cleavage etc. I'd say for the guys, a pants that isn't jeans, and looks almost like suit pants and a clean shirt will do the trick, though in your case you might wanna try a suit the first few days, just to feel the atmosphere. Otherwise, just ask them right out what the dresscode is, I do the same when I start a new job. Congratz btw on that position ;)

Recreationally, you can wear anything you want really, just don't flash shit all over the place, but even then we won't care. Jeans and a sweater are favs here too.

The Southern parts will be more into the whole bearing skin for obvious reasons, also their own temperature goes higher than those of us up North:alttongue:

I'd say most of Europe is indifferent to what you do though, unless you're planning on visiting churches and what not. Most Americans give themselves away with the baseball cap, sun glasses and clear accent though :D

Yeah...I agree. Esp. the business part.

Recreational clothing here goes with season. Autumn-winter greyer and darker, in March everybody dresses down and wears bright clothing.

Gerbah

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w4
After I posted my message I saw you had just written you're American. Your normal leisure clothes should be just fine.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm slated to go to Europe in January to spend a semester working for a member of European parliament.

Wow, that's so exciting. Congratulations. :)

proximo

I agree, pretty much the same as in the US, although certain garments have taken on a slightly different significance here than there. The one to beware of most is the baseball cap. Particularly in the UK, but also in France (and other countries, I believe), it's become a symbol of thuggishness. The word used for the typical baseball cap wearer in the UK is "chav". Google it, to know what not to unwittingly associate yourself with :D

In general, athletic wear sported as daywear is a no-no for those who don't want to express membership of the chav classes ;)