• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ's and being smart/intelligent

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Ok, that's why I was asking.:hi:

I was just wondering if he was trying to say that an SJ couldn't love learning things and taking in knowledge just because that person might be selective about what it is.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Isn't there some theory about multiple intelligences?

Anyway, I am the kind of smart that smart traditionally means. I'm good at school, retain knowledge easily, and catch on quickly.

But I also have a lot of common sense--of which I cannot stress enough the importance.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Si + Te/Fe = diligent and procedural worker.

"Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration"

SJs probably got that 99% covered pretty well. SJs, the perspirators. :D

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Isn't there some theory about multiple intelligences?

Anyway, I am the kind of smart that smart traditionally means. I'm good at school, retain knowledge easily, and catch on quickly.

But I also have a lot of common sense--of which I cannot stress enough the importance.

You make a good point there. Thank you.

Common sense i also believe is very important .. You don't learn that necessarily in books.

I find it interesting in how people can, to an extent pigeonhole intelligence and what it is meant to be smart. There are so many factors that needs to be taken into account.
It is not black and white.
Hmmm.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Si + Te/Fe = diligent and procedural worker.

"Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration"

SJs probably got that 99% covered pretty well. SJs, the perspirators. :D

I really think that statement is bunk, if you (not you, Habba! Just general you) have no talent for something then it's better to stick to something else rather than waste time...

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
If intelligence is being knowledgeable than SJs are bounds to be the most intelligent since they know how to store their data.

To me intelligence is something that is mostly irrespective of personal experience. It's one's inherent ability to think and ask the right questions.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
All types have the capacity for intelligence. No one is an exclusive information sponge. While some types may continue to take in information on a subject and splice/dice it 50 different ways and from different angles, there's nothing wrong with being satisfied with the facts.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I don't see why it's a dichotomy between

a) wanting to learn everything for the sake of accumulating knowledge

and

b) learning things that are practical/relevant in day to day life

What about people who like to learn about subjects that interest them, and pay little attention to subjects they don't find interesting? Does that fall under the umbrella of practicality or knowledge-seeking?

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
P.S. I'm going to try to put a personal moratorium on using the word "dichotomy." That word is like a groundhog to me - every once in a while it pops up and I use it constantly for a couple of days. Then it goes back underground. I annoy myself. The only thing worse would be to be caught using the word "symbiotic." My co-workers and I made a pseudo-drinking game out of a certain consultant who would always try to give motivational talks sprinkled with "symbiotic," "symbiosis," etc... Please shoot me if I do that.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

and

What about people who like to learn about subjects that interest them, and pay little attention to subjects they don't find interesting? Does that fall under the umbrella of practicality or knowledge-seeking?

Usually it is knowledge-seeking when driven by only your interests - if your main interest isn't practical application of course.

I often learn about practical things, and get interested in them, when I have a practical problem to solve. Hence I know a bit about dry wall repair and washers/dryers.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Usually it is knowledge-seeking when driven by only your interests - if your main interest isn't practical application of course.

I often learn about practical things, and get interested in them, when I have a practical problem to solve. Hence I know a bit about dry wall repair and washers/dryers.

I guess. I'll personally learn the bare minimum about practical things, but when I get interested in a subject, I'll research it to death and form a range of theories about it. But it's a pretty narrow set of interests, and anything that doesn't fall in that scope I pretty much ignore. I don't measure my personal worth by knowledge or intelligence - I just find certain things interesting.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ

and

SJs aren't just interested in learning practical stuff. If I'm interested in it, I'll learn about it, practical or not.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

That falls more under knowledge-seeking. Learning things just because they interest you is a form of seeking knowledge (about the interesting things).