• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] ISFJ - How do I get my Mom Out of the House?!

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Heh, I have the same family situation kind of (ISFJ mom and INTJ dad). My mom literally goes out like once every six months with her one friend, and basically watches a whole shit ton of movies all the time. My dad is really good to her though.

If you want to get her out of the house, I would suggest just asking her to sign up for some sort of activity with you. Dress it up like a chance to spend time together outside of the house, and then quietly push her to make some friends there.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
and how!
im the reverse, my mother is isfj and frequently makes me want to pull my hair out.

i have the same problem as the op but it's for health reasons. my isfj mother is overweight but i have to fight her to get her outdoors and moving. it's tough and the state of her health terrifies me. what is the secret to dislodging isfjs from their shells?

Oh bless .. I am not sure there is a secret to it .. People change when they are good and ready and not a moment before.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
My ISFJ bestie likes routine a lot. She also likes being with friends, but in her own time. I think maybe ISFJ's are more likely to appreciate their life no matter what station they're in. I can understand why you think that about your mom (I used to think that about my friend, haha) but eventually you gotta let people figure out how they want to live their lives. I like the suggestion said earlier, about you asking her to do something with you as a bonding experience and getting her out of the house. The ISFJs I know love that kind of activity, makes them feel appreciated. :D

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ISFJ bestie likes routine a lot. She also likes being with friends, but in her own time. I think maybe ISFJ's are more likely to appreciate their life no matter what station they're in.

It's true. ISFJ's are like sandbags.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
Heh, I have the same family situation kind of (ISFJ mom and INTJ dad).

:shock: Me too! My mom is slightly more active- she likes her exercise routine at the gym a lot (it's like her religion- so maybe she could do that). My BFF (guy) is also ISFJ and used to be afraid even of trying new foods (he was afraid of cucumbers and still doesn't really know the difference between a shrimp and a lobster), but after we got closer he was willing to try new stuff with me. I think if your mom spends time with some more extroverted people it might help- I know that logistically this is not an easy thing to impliment (since you may not know any extraverts she can hang out with). But you may want to organize a once a month day in the city- go to a new restaurant or hiking, depending on how much of your time and effort you want to put into this.

Someone said you should wait until you move out of the house- which you probably want to do sooner than later. Since both my parents were IJ's I couldn't wait to get out (still don't like going home if I can avoid it). I know you're I so it may be a more comfortable situation in your case- the J's though- how's that working out for you? I'm sure you love 'em (we all love'em), but that doesn't necessarily mean you wanna be around them.

Plus your mom may actually change when you move out- my sis just moved out (her 1st year of college) and now my mom is crazy (and she was pretty much a house mom before this)- like throwing drinks in your face crazy.