• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Question for ISxJs...

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Even though the world doesn't actively see it, we are dominant perceivers. Our first reaction the majority of time is to look within ourselves for information or seek out further information from the external world. How often do you find yourself asking questions in your daily life just for the sake of information?

I'm asking this because I had a situation at work where I was wondering about it. I was asking a supervisor who the manager on duty for that night was and why so many managers were staying so late. A coworker heard the conversation, asking, "Is that ok with you?" sarcastically. I just answered back quickly telling them that I wasn't looking to approve what they were doing, all I wanted was information, nothing more.

It happened again last night during a game. Long story short, there was a rule in a game that didn't make much sense to me, and I started questioning the reasoning behind it. Other people then went on to use my ability to play the game effectively as a way of evaluating whether I was in the position to question the rule. All I wanted to know again, was why something was happening.

Does this happen often to others when Si compares your surroundings to what you're "used to" and then questions the differences, but then people take it the wrong way? In both situations, I was questioning authority for the sake of gaining insight into the reasoning behind an occurrence.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
It happens to me, but I don't get a lot of hostility. I think in some respects I've learned to not ask too many questions for the sake of not pissing people off, but now that I'm older and I realize I'm not bothering people, I ask.

My line of work supports the need to be inquisitive, and to not stop asking the questions because the person isn't giving me the answer I need, be it purposefully or not.

I am like you in that I don't take in information to make any immediate judgements, but a lot of times the information I do request will help me to make more sense of whatever it is in front of me, (for my own sanity), and in the event that a judgement or assessment is necessary, I've already gotten the facts together and can easily explain what's going on.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I used to ask a lot of questions. I have learned not to ask them and just find out the answers for myself.... or simply not care.

I always ended up making people mad. Now, sometimes I'll just ask questions with the hopes of getting someone mad. :devil: I mean, after all... it IS pretty funny.... but I think the best thing is when you purposefully misinterpret what someone says.... then make them feel guilty or embarrased.

For instance... last Friday I was with an ISFJ at a bar. (I don't normally go to bars and apparently neither does she.) Anyway, she asked me if I knew some guy with the last name "cocks". I seized the opporunity and said "oh my word! thats not very lady-like at all! :shock:" Acting as if I only caught the "cocks" part because it was so loud in there.

Then I tapped the guy next to me and said "Hey can you believe this girl? She just said cocks to me!" (turns out the guy was gay :doh:)

She was really embarassed but her and I were both laughing and we ended up having a really good time.

/rant

So, the trick is to use your questioning skills to your advantage, Raz. :cheers:

AutumnReverie

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I used to ask a lot of questions. I have learned not to ask them and just find out the answers for myself....
Same here. I've taught myself how to dial down on the question-asking. :blush:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I've read that dominant perceivers can actually get stuck in their perception, which is why the auxiliary judgment is so vital. For ISxJs, that just means constantly seeking out more and more facts without turning it into action. I'm guilty of that a lot. I can lose myself in a sea of data. I have to force myself to stop, evaluate it and translate it into action.

It happened to me once while surfing Newegg to build a computer. I wanted to find out the most efficient sales based on speed, accessories, etc vs. price. I spent hours upon hours making spreadsheets categorizing the data I was gathering from Newegg into neat lists. What happened after the hours and hours of amassing data? Nothing. All I had was spreadsheets of categorized information.

I eventually had to stop myself because I had to tell myself that taking action and doing something quicker, even if it's less efficient is more productive than spending more time than necessary finding the most efficient computer to build. I was losing hours at a time to it. I enjoyed it, but Te stepped in and said, "WTF? What have you accomplished here? You haven't bought anything or put together a system."

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
LOL! Raz, I have spent almost a whole day on Newegg before.... haha Then by that night I was like "wtf am I doing?!" hahaha :rofl1:

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I've read that dominant perceivers can actually get stuck in their perception, which is why the auxiliary judgment is so vital. For ISxJs, that just means constantly seeking out more and more facts without turning it into action. I'm guilty of that a lot. I can lose myself in a sea of data. I have to force myself to stop, evaluate it and translate it into action.

LOL Make sure my girlfriend gets none of this!

This is so true, it's probably why I haven't popped the question yet. I'm still in a info-gathering phase. As I can see it's potentially perpetual. I better get on it!

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I just answered back quickly telling them that I wasn't looking to approve what they were doing, all I wanted was information, nothing more.

All I wanted to know again, was why something was happening.

I did this all the time in the workplace. If i am to work to the best of my ability, tell me when i ask, why i am doing something. However, it was viewed as a positive thing and i never got any sarcastic remarks.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I constantly ask questions....and seek information....and everything you mentioned above. That's almost exactly what occurs when I ask questions, as well. People misinterpret my questions as something else, and then everyone is confused.

I just want to know. That's all.

Authority stuck out to me, too. People in authority think I'm questioning their abilities or messing with them or....something....when all I want is their reasoning behind their action(s).

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I constantly ask questions....and seek information....and everything you mentioned above. That's almost exactly what occurs when I ask questions, as well. People misinterpret my questions as something else, and then everyone is confused.

I just want to know. That's all.

Authority stuck out to me, too. People in authority think I'm questioning their abilities or messing with them or....something....when all I want is their reasoning behind their action(s).

See, and it's not really with the intent of picking apart their action, but it's more about solidifying your own base knowledge of the situation. For some reason, I can just work better knowing things like why something around me is happening or the reasoning behind someone's actions. It just helps me to do better just to know it.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I feel as if I ask more questions and get more information on something I'm working on, I can function more smoothly and efficiently... and you know us ISTJ's, Raz, we are all about efficiency! :cheers: