• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Fear of the unknown

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
That makes perfect sence. :) Its abstract though, losing control of what exactly?

What happens to you. This is out of your control. We convince ourselves otherwise most of the time. But, a meteor could fall out of the sky. You could get sick and die. Someone could hit you with a car. Death is around every corner. It is the flipside of life. Everything that is created from nothing returns to nothingness. But, to live in the midst of this truth you have to either live as if you could die today or you must ignore this reality or you must convince yourself that you really are in control of what happens to you, which is just another way to ignore this reality.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
People live on the basis of probability. The probability value of the danger of the unknown is impossible to measure which is why people are afraid of it

Probabilities are another form of knowledge, which is another form of control seeking.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love the unknown
You loved this comment before you read it then.

Probabilities are another form of knowledge, which is another form of control seeking.
Actually knowledge is what is required for someone to assume. And assumptions are caused by probability. Therefore probabilities are made by knowledge. It is not knowledge.

Pristinegirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
What happens to you. This is out of your control. We convince ourselves otherwise most of the time. But, a meteor could fall out of the sky. You could get sick and die. Someone could hit you with a car. Death is around every corner. It is the flipside of life. Everything that is created from nothing returns to nothingness. But, to live in the midst of this truth you have to either live as if you could die today or you must ignore this reality or you must convince yourself that you really are in control of what happens to you, which is just another way to ignore this reality.

Ahh that is so right! We fight death for a living every day. And yet so many people fear something that is said to 'liberate' us.

I have a hard time picturing a life living in the midst of truth, a life with death and if you ignore it then you are simply lying to yourself.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ahh that is so right! We fight death for a living every day. And yet so many people fear something that is said to 'liberate' us.

I have a hard time picturing a life living in the midst of truth, a life with death and if you ignore it then you are simply lying to yourself.

It's better to lie to yourself sometimes. It's better just to not think of certain things. It's sometimes better to ignore things. Because some things get in the way of living.

I think religion can be helpful for people in that it allows you to put these big, pointless, and stupid existential questions to the side. So you can get on with life.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I disagree. One has control of 90% of his life. The other 10% is just luck. All you said goes for that 10%.

Pristinegirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
It's better to lie to yourself sometimes. It's better just to not think of certain things. It's sometimes better to ignore things. Because some things get in the way of living.

I think religion can be helpful for people in that it allows you to put these big, pointless, and stupid existential questions to the side. So you can get on with life.

Thank you for the advice Synarch!! I shall do well to know that it exists yet ignore it. :)

How interesting that you think so. Because I thought it was the opposite. Thus, why I am kind of avoiding it. xD I had the impression that they deal with existential questions all the time, only that they do it as a group.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Synarch makes a good point. ;)

I used to be in control of most possible outcomes in my life to the point where i was a control freak. However, by having that attitude i actually limited my potential. Playing safe is good as i am aware of the outcome to an extent. Taking life and all it has to offer though, opens to many doors, more than i ever imagined. It is overcoming that fear and saying Yes to opportunities.

If i play it safe continously, i wouldn't of experienced a little of Canada. I wouldn't of tried to fight for my marriage. By doing that though, and even hurting the very core of myself, again i opened up possibilities. I can go back to Canada, i can survive a marriage breakdown and come back stronger than ever. Life gave me the opportunity to have everything i truly believed in, crash down around me and allow me to grow. Some might say that is harsh, i thank life for that. Makes me a better, more subjective (have i used the right word there) person.

We spend to much time in life creating problems and scenarios, why sweat the small stuff. We may be dead tomorrow (rather morid but the truth).

Thechosenone, i think i understand where you are coming from now. I just turned you into my son and it made perfect sense. He really fears the unknown especially when it comes to school. He is in his 4th year of secondary school and still even now, everyday he is nervous about going.
I have to somewhat push him into new situations. What saddens me the most is that he has told me, he'll never go back to Canada should the opportunity arise, he wants to stay with his nanna. He fears change.

I had to lose (so to speak) to gain what i know now. How do i make a 14 year old do the same without losing everything? Yes he is an ISTJ also. :)

Apologies for rambling on.:blush:

Pristinegirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I disagree. One has control of 90% of his life. The other 10% is just luck. All you said goes for that 10%.

We don't even know that luck exists...
It may only be cognitive biases. Because when good luck occurs, people tend to see purpose in it, thinking it has a higher meaning whereas when something unfortunate happens people are quick to feel they are doomed with bad luck.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
We don't even know that luck exists...
It may only be cognitive biases. Because when good luck occurs, people tend to see purpose in it, thinking it has a higher meaning whereas when something unfortunate happens people are quick to feel they are doomed with bad luck.
What I mean by luck is chance.
We as humans have will therefore we can control. The percentage that we control is 90%.

Pristinegirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I think we control MUCH less than 90 % to be honest.

Our whole environment and all external factors that impact our life are by far much larger than the petite control we have on our lives.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think we control MUCH less than 90 % to be honest.

Our whole environment and all external factors that impact our life are by far much larger than the petite control we have on our lives.
I disagree. Do your research. I'm not taking this information from up my ass.

Pristinegirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
I disagree. Do your research. I'm not taking this information from up my ass.

Okay I'm very interested to see this justified information. :) Perhaps you could direct me to it?

If you are talking about the 90/10 rule, then you have missunderstood it :/

It says "Ninety percent of what happens in your life is not in your control. The other ten percent is how you react to the ninety percent."

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Okay I'm very interested to see this justified information. :) Perhaps you could direct me to it?

If you are talking about the 90/10 rule, then you have missunderstood it :/

It says "Ninety percent of what happens in your life is not in your control. The other ten percent is how you react to the ninety percent."
...no. You misread it. It says 10% of life is made up of what happens to you. 90% of life is decided by how you react. :)

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
...no. You misread it. It says 10% of life is made up of what happens to you. 90% of life is decided by how you react. :)

I think extroverts still view it the other way around. This is very interesting and I see this difference in perception all the time, but everyone agrees it's a bit of both. I'm not too sure about the specific ratio myself though.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think extroverts still view it the other way around. This is very interesting and I see this difference in perception all the time, but everyone agrees it's a bit of both. I'm not too sure about the specific ratio myself though.
The percentages wouldn't change though.

Pristinegirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3

Nope not at all haha? I copied and pasted...

Ninety percent of a situation is out of your control and happened before you even knew about it. Ten percent of that situation and the most important is how you reacted to it.

The motif behind it is how we react!!!