• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Fellow SJ's - Weight Loss Help!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are like, 15 calorie popsicles, fat free popcorn, sugar free gum and possibly others. I chew gum all the time. I <3 popcorn. Half the reason I go to the movies is for the popcorn.

Mmm popcorn.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
How was i showing Fe? Humour me please ;)

What about a bowl of cucumber slices .. damn i love that stuff and it is practically water. Can't have many calories in .. ???

Google alert .. Approx 45 calories in one large 8¼ inch (10.6 oz or 301g), unpeeled cucumber.

Which got me thinking about 8 1/4 inches :devil: .. Burn off the excess with lots of adventurous sexxxxxxx. I am sure the kama Sutra will help tighten up those love handles (Note - i love love handles)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Umm, I was just stating that your response was very touchy-feely oriented and that's totally Fe.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
.. Burn off the excess with lots of adventurous sexxxxxxx. I am sure the kama Sutra will help tighten up those love handles (Note - i love love handles)

You make a good point, sas. I'm sure sex burns lots of calories and would be esp good exercise for all you people who are in committed relationships and don't have to worry about anything! And I love love handles too. :D

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I haven't read all the posts and i am in a quirky/weird/silly mood so here is my 2 cents.

1 - Take speed. You'll soon burn off that excess weight
2 - Down tablets that the opposite to Imodium, IE shit water all day
3 - Just don't eat
4 - Buy those slimming pills that are advertised everywhere on line .. They must work, or else why are they advertising them, lol
5 - Start smoking, you can't eat if you have a cigarette in your mouth 24/7.
6 - I am sooo plugging this book .. Fuck it By John C. Parkin (read it and say fuck it to all of life's problems, just give it a read before you possibly criticise)

7 - I suppose you could drive less, walk more, eat smaller portions, chew your food 17 times before swallowing (apparently that is what we are supposed to do) .. Sounds boring though. :cry:

Babe, live life on your terms, if you want to eat all the cakes, then you do it. Beautiful is beautiful no matter what your size. Now shut up and pass me a cake, the one with the cream inside please. :yim_rolling_on_the_

Please, please, please be laughing. :blush:
:devil:

:rofl1: What she said!

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I sit next to a "Slickness" at work. My boss always says that I'm the healthiest eater he's ever known. My co-worker eats pop-tarts for breakfast, pizza and regular Pepsi for lunch. When we get Starbucks, I always get a "skinny" and she gets regular. She is tall and thin just like Slickness! She never exercises and she drinks beer all the time on the weekends (I rarely drink and don't need the extra calories.)

One of the questions that has always plagued me -- why is that? I try so hard, she doesn't...and I'm the one with the weight problem!

Some people expend a lot of energy unconciously (fidgeting, foot tapping etc.). People that have ancestors from places with a steady supply of calories, tend not to put on as much weight as people who's ancestors came from an area where food supplies were less stable.

Evolution seems to select strongly against traits that lead to a negative energy balance (expenditure>intake) but has not put the same limits on having a positive energy balance (for obvious reasons I suppose).

The unconcious mind and behaviours account for a lot more of our energy expenditure and intake than most would like to believe.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
This is hardcore information!

As much as I hate to admit this, I've gained about 30 pounds in the last 7 years. I am having a horrible time trying to get it back off again. I used to be very OCD about my weight...the point system for Weight Watchers was perfect for me. I compulsively exercised 6 days a week and took Hydroxycut and Ephederine and even was in the Phen-Phen craze to keep my weight down. My ex that I was with for a very long time was critical of me, so that helped me keep it down as well. However, I left him and got happily married and started taking medication for OCD and hormonal issues and stopped caring so much about what I ate and was sooo terribly busy that I didn't have time for exercise and it somehow just creeped up on me. I HATE looking in the mirror some days. And I know that people have told me that I need to "accept" myself and accept the fact that as I age, I will accumulate some weight. But, I'm keep trying...and I feel like I'm getting nowhere. It's like one step forward and one step back. I eat healthy for the most part (I recently had a blood test and my cholesterol is really good, my risk of heart attack is below average and my blood glucose and blood pressure are all good) and I do manage to get exercise in at least once a week. During hormonal times, it might be none..but when it's not...it's sometimes 4 times a week. I take supplements and vitamins as well.

Does anyone have suggestions or books to recommend to me? A friend of mine told me about "The Gabriel Method" and I looked into that a little, but it has a lot to do with visualizations and meditation. Not that I'm knocking that or anything, maybe it does work. He's lost 21 pounds on it so far. He said one week he lost 3 pounds while eating like crap (fast food, etc)...just from doing the visualizations. I don't eat fast food and when I do, I gain weight immediately...so that scares me. I just feel a little lost, I guess.

Please NO "eat less and exercise more." :doh: I know that's common sense and I'm relatively bright..so I'm looking for more than that. Just wondering if anyone has struggled as well and any thoughts they might have. Thanks!! :)

P.S. My avatar blinks, but don't let that scare you! :)

Hello, first of all, I'm not an expert on how drugs can affect your body, but I am well aware that they can have a major influence on you appetite, energy level, and even what you can eat. You said your cholesterol and blood sugar was good, so that is GREAT and is what is truly important. What is on the inside is important, but I'll admit, body image is very important to me as well. No offense to your friend, but anything that sounds too good to be true is normally too good to be true.

I read most of the posts and I felt most of the advise was good. I'm going to just revisit what other people have posted and add some more details. Be warned I'm going to put a TON of information here. Oh, and I will be talking calories a lot to prove my points. I'm not saying you need to count your calories, but you can if you want. The number system on weight watchers is kind of like counting your calories. That is one reason why it works so well. When people keep track on what they eat, they are more likely to eat healthier. This is proven.

1. Drink less soda. Yes, this is SO true. If everybody would cut out their soda consumption, they could loose SO much weight. Let me elaborate. I don't have the calories per can of soda memorized, but I believe most sodas have around 100 calories per 8 ounces. I know this may not mean much to you but let me explain. The website below -

Basal Metabolic Rate : Calculators : Discovery Health

- will let you know how many calories your body will burn in a day just by sitting there and doing nothing. It is only a basic calculator, so don't take it to heart as it leaves out many other factors (activate level, if you are sick, and muscle to fat ratio are some of them). Most adults only need 1600-2100 calories a day. Most under 2000. Trust me we need a lot less calories than we actually consume. The only people who need like 2500-3000 calories are people over 250 pounds and/or serious athletes. Ok back to my point. Most people don't just drink 8 ounces of soda a day. They drink any were from 32-64 ounces of soda a day. 100 x 4 is 400. 400 calories from a 32 ounce soda. 800 calories from a 64 ounce soda. And some people get seconds doubling the calories. THAT is over three quarters of what you need to eat for the day. The worst part is drinking you calories won't trigger your brain to tell your body you are full. This includes other drinks such as milk (you can get full from milk because milk does have saturated fat in it causing you to feel full), juice, energy drinks, Gatorade, sweet tea, cool aid, and other drinks with sugar in it. Add those drinks to the soda and you are drinking a WHOLE lot of calories. My best bet is to try to limit sugar drinks to a couple of times a weak at the most drinking only 8 ounces at a time. Try not to drink too much milk as well as it does have a lot of saturated fat. Whole milk has 150 calories, while skim milk has 80 calories and no saturated fat. Your best bet is to try and drink more water as it has 0 calories. Eat your calories don't drink your calories. If you care to know 3500 calories is one pound.

2. Cutting out fast food is totally true. Dude you can get a calorie count on all items at any fast food. You can either look for it online, or ask for a calorie count at you local fast food. A whopper is like 640 calories I believe and lets not forget the fries and soda. That is over 1000 calories for ONE meal. Over half of what you need for the day. It no wonder why SO many people are overweight now days. If you have to eat out, try to avoid any fried food and don't go overboard on the mayo and salad dressing. Eating less fast food will not only help you eat heather foods in general, but you will also less likely drink less soda. Lets not forget fast food also has a ton of salt in it.

3. Eating smaller meals more often through out the day is great. The optimum situation would be to try and eat 5-6 small meals a day instead of 2-3 larger meals a day. Eating smaller meals will not only help you feel better (as you won't feel bloated after a large meal), but you will be using your metabolism all day. Using you metabolism will cause your body to use energy, which burns calories. That is one reason why breakfast is SO important. It gets your metabolism started for the day, and you will be using the energy from the food you eat to power you up for the day. I know this sounds unrealistic to MANY people, but try and add a snack a day, and subtract some food from your plate during a meal to start off.

4. Exercise regularly. I'm not a huge expert on exercise, but I do know some basics. Any kind of aerobic exercise that gets your heart pumping is great. Brisk walking, running, biking, swimming, sports, and step aerobics are all great for getting your heart pumping. If I remember right you should stay at 60-80% of you maximum heart rate for 20-30 min to get an effective aerobic work out. Working out for 20 min and over will cause your body to run out of its carbohydrate stores (carbohydrates main purpose is to provide your body with energy) and cause your body to use your fat as energy. Dude anything that gets your body moving is better than nothing. I mean go for walks, use the stairs, mow the lawn, walk the dog, playing with kids, doing house work, and other minor things like that is WAY better than watching TV, playing video games, and surfing the web all day. Try to limit those kind of activities to a maximum of 2 hours a day. Trust me when you exercise, it may be really hard at first because you don't have the energy to do so, but you will gain more energy in the future because of it. Oh and gaining muscle will actually help you burn more calories per day. So building muscle and getting that sexy tone will actually help your body burn more calories per day just by sitting there and doing nothing. Again, you don't need to do anything drastic as something is WAY better than nothing. It is recommended that you get at least 30 min of exercise a day 5 times a week.

5. Eat more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Eat less meats and empty calories. We eat WAY too much meat, period. The average adult only needs around 5-6 ounces of meat a day. With meat fish is your best bet as it has omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are known for lowering your BAD cholesterol and raising your GOOD cholesterol. That is one reason why Japanese people in Japan have such healthy hearts. White meat is you second best bet and I believe turkey actually has the highest concentration of protein per ounce in it. Try to limit red meat to once a week. If you are thinking about cutting you meat out of you diet, that is fine but just know how to get your protein. Other sources of protein are nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, and dairy products. Most of these protein sources won't be enough for you because they don't have all of the essential amino acids you need to survive. You have to eat the beans and legumes together to make get all of you essential amino acids (That is why beans is served with rice ;)). Yes soy products have protein as well, but soy products have estrogen and raising your estrogen levels too much can actually raise your chances of getting cancer. Fruits and veggies have no saturated fat, high vitamin and mineral count, and fiber. If you can eat a total of 5 different fruits and veggies a day, then you are SUPER awesome and will be gain a tone of health advantages. Realistically try to at least eat a fruit and veggie a day. Eating a variety of colors is great as each color has its own distinct advantage. Just remember that apples and bananas are considered white instead of red and yellow. Eating the skins of the veggies will help you gain the maximum nutritional content of the food (as that is where all of the fiber some of the vitamins and minerals are located). Whole wheat, try to replace every white bread item to wheat. This includes bread, pastas, and tortillas (corn works tortillas work as well). The advantage of whole wheat products is the fiber in it. Fiber has a great number of benefits such as helping you feel full, having some B-vitamins (gives you energy), having some antioxidants (lowers your chanced of getting cancer), helps lower your cholesterol, and it turns in to sugar slowly in your body. You see carbs get a bad rep because most of them are what are called EMPTY calories. White bread items have most of the fiber taken out if it during the process and all that is left is the starch. Starch is a form of carbohydrate that turns into sugar very quickly in you body. You body can only hold a certain amount of sugar in you body at a time, so your body converts that sugar into fat. Oh and potatoes and corn are considered starchy vegetables because they have a ton of starch in it. As you can see (from overweight people), you body can create an infinite amount of space for fat. Think about it cakes, chips, corn, potatoes, fries, cookies, top roman, pastas, hamburger buns, and white bread are just some of the items that are considered empty calories. An empty calorie is just what is sounds like, it is a calorie that has NO nutrition value (No vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber).

Have you heard of the Atkins diet. The idea of it is to cut out your carbs while eating a lot of protein. As I said before, your body only has a limited amount of carb stores, so when they run out your body will use fat as energy. This is good when exercising, but not for anything else. You see, when your body starves it will use your fat stores for energy by converting them to Keaton bodies. Keaton bodies are very acidic which is horrible for you liver and kidney because they can't filter them out. The Atkins dies pretty much starves your body with out you feeling starved. This causes all sots of problems in the future, so don't cut out carbs completely. Instead replace all the empty carbs with carbs rich in fiber. Ask for wheat bread instead of white. Look for the word WHOLE when considering bread items. Trust me the fiber makes a world of a difference. Just remember the more fiber you eat, the more water you should drink. If I remember right the average adult should around 25-30 grams of fiber a day.

Ok I bet you have some information overload now, but I'm not done yet. Now here are some of my advise.

6. Have a positive attitude. When you are negative you metabolism is naturally slower than it could be, trust me.

7. Don't go on a diet, but make a life style change. Anything that promises a fast result is phony. I lost 25 pounds in 3 weeks is crap. The problem with diets is that they are temporary, so what happens when you get off your diet? You will gain your wight back in no time. Our bodies were made to survive and a huge change in our lives will shock our bodies. Our bodies will want to store more calories (turning them into fat) when they are introduced into diet again. What you need to is right now make simple changes in your life that are REALISTIC. I listed many things above that would fit the optimum situation, but we live in the REAL world. Make simple changes like I'll drink one less soda a day, eat one fruit and veggie a day, walk 10 min a day, cut out my chips, replace white bread with wheat break, and other simple things like that. These changes are simple and REALISTIC. You will also more likely stick to those life style changes as well. When these changes become second nature for you (meaning you don't have to think to do them) then make some more small changes. Continue this healthy life style change until you reach you goal. Also make REALISTIC goals. A healthy amount of weight to loose per week is only 1 pound and maybe 2 pounds for someone over 220 pounds. Also with the foods I said "don't eat" above, that just means limit them for special occasions or at the very least once a week. I mean there will always be a special occasion where we will all pig out (Halloween, thanks giving, Christmas, and new years). Don't stress on those days and go all out, just continue your healthy lifestyle on the next day and you will be fine. One day won't kill you. And even on those days you don't need to eat TOO much. Anyways, use small steps and they will turn into a huge leap. Your change should not be temporary, but permanent and the weight will always stay off.

Phew that was a mouth full. There is one more thing I would like to add. One of the main reasons why older people gain weight is because their metabolism slows down. They need less calories a day to survive, but they still eat the same amount of calories as before. If is very possible for an older person to gain muscle and burn fat. Older people who have taken good care of themselves can have quite a good amount of energy.

I could go on and on (as there are other points I can brings up, but these are some of the MAIN ones and doing these will help you permanently loose weight), but I'll stop it here. If you have any questions I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. I'm sorry if I went into information overload, but this information WILL work. I truly hope things go well for you, and you have a wonderful day! :hi:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, if you used to take Ephedrine to keep your weight down, it's perfectly normal that you will gain a weight when you get off it. Ephedrine is very much toxic, better be 30 pounds more than risk your health like that. Furthermore, you still seem to be full of pills...well sorry if I sound harsh, but you probably don't notice how much you're harming yourself with all that stuff. I don't think weight-watching is something you should care about as much as finding a balance in lifestyle that lowers your stress levels and hormonal problems. In any case, guys always prefer women with some meat on their bones, don't care so much about social expectations, I'm sure you look great since you pay so much attention to everything.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I haven't read all the posts and i am in a quirky/weird/silly mood so here is my 2 cents.

1 - Take speed. You'll soon burn off that excess weight
2 - Down tablets that the opposite to Imodium, IE shit water all day
3 - Just don't eat
4 - Buy those slimming pills that are advertised everywhere on line .. They must work, or else why are they advertising them, lol
5 - Start smoking, you can't eat if you have a cigarette in your mouth 24/7.
6 - I am sooo plugging this book .. Fuck it By John C. Parkin (read it and say fuck it to all of life's problems, just give it a read before you possibly criticise)

7 - I suppose you could drive less, walk more, eat smaller portions, chew your food 17 times before swallowing (apparently that is what we are supposed to do) .. Sounds boring though. :cry:

Babe, live life on your terms, if you want to eat all the cakes, then you do it. Beautiful is beautiful no matter what your size. Now shut up and pass me a cake, the one with the cream inside please. :yim_rolling_on_the_

Please, please, please be laughing. :blush:
:devil:

ahahahaha, great post, I agree with everything :D

Oh, and by the way, it has been proven that people with a slower metabolism live longer. It seem quite a fair tradeoff, a ghetto booty (??) for 5 years more of life. (this is also one of the reasons why women live more than men, on average). People that are always on a diet are really miserable, in my experience.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
What sucks is that I weigh 173, but I probably look like I weigh 190ish. I have loose skin from losing so much weight and stretch marks. I've talked to my doctor and he's told me to not lose anymore weight and that this effect was very hard to avoid after losing such a large amount of weight, even though I did it the right way. He said the only option is surgery. I don't have the money, so, I'm stuck like this.

The thing with my diet, is I tend to stick to more rigid plans for eating as an ISTJ. It doesn't bother me that much. People would say that I "dieted," but it's really just how my mind works that's caused rigidity rather than an actual strict diet.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
What sucks is that I weigh 173, but I probably look like I weigh 190ish. I have loose skin from losing so much weight and stretch marks. I've talked to my doctor and he's told me to not lose anymore weight and that this effect was very hard to avoid after losing such a large amount of weight, even though I did it the right way. He said the only option is surgery. I don't have the money, so, I'm stuck like this.

Are you offering to send me a pic of yourself naked?
I am still in my silly mood, sorry couldn't resist

Darling .. Sexy is a frame of mind. I wouldn't care if you have loose skin, you should see my upper arms. Don't need the moon to help with the tides. I can just flap my arms back and forth and hey, job done. OK i am exaggerating but you can't afford it so just look at yourself (naked, don't forget i want a pic ;)) and focus on the overall you. I am sure you are GORGEOUS. :D

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I think that's more about the T vs. F difference. Still, I don't look at it in terms of looks, I rarely ever do. I look at it more as a frame of reference for how many body should be. A body in a well maintained condition to me doesn't have loose skin.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ahahahaha, great post, I agree with everything :D

Oh, and by the way, it has been proven that people with a slower metabolism live longer. It seem quite a fair tradeoff, a ghetto booty (??) for 5 years more of life. (this is also one of the reasons why women live more than men, on average). People that are always on a diet are really miserable, in my experience.

What if you're a woman with a higher metabolism but are not dieting, will you still live longer?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
What if you're a woman with a higher metabolism but are not dieting, will you still live longer?

Well, obviously statistics aren't valid on an individual basis so I wouldn't reccomend being worried about dying earlier - but you'd supposedly still live longer than men but less than women with slower metabolism, all other things being equal (which is a really strong assumption).

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think that's more about the T vs. F difference. Still, I don't look at it in terms of looks, I rarely ever do. I look at it more as a frame of reference for how many body should be. A body in a well maintained condition to me doesn't have loose skin.

Ok then. You've put me in my place. I'll just sit in the corner. My response was better though, lol.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Ok then. You've put me in my place. I'll just sit in the corner. My response was better though, lol.

I'm not putting you down. I just think the reasoning for T's to get hung up on their weight is much different than F's, especially FJs. FJs just tend to care more about their social reputation.

I learned the lesson to not get hung up on looks in middle school, and have ingrained it in my head ever since. I rarely worry about how bad I look. If I end up looking hot one day, then I just think, oh cool. I don't think about it often enough for it to be of massive concern. Looking good in smaller clothes after losing weight was just a really cool unintended side effect. :)

I would be lying though if I said I didn't take into consideration what other people would think when I buy my clothes. I don't really care much about how my clothes look, except for like, professional clothing. That looks hot to me. When I buy my clothes, I look at it more as an intended effect when worn. How will other people react to it? Will I get an interesting reaction from other people? How do I feel about how I look?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm not putting you down. I just think the reasoning for T's to get hung up on their weight is much different than F's, especially FJs. FJs just tend to care more about their social reputation.

I learned the lesson to not get hung up on looks in middle school, and have ingrained it in my head ever since. I rarely worry about how bad I look. If I end up looking hot one day, then I just think, oh cool. I don't think about it often enough for it to be of massive concern. Looking good in smaller clothes after losing weight was just a really cool unintended side effect. :)

I would be lying though if I said I didn't take into consideration what other people would think when I buy my clothes. I don't really care much about how my clothes look, except for like, professional clothing. That looks hot to me. When I buy my clothes, I look at it more as an intended effect when worn. How will other people react to it? Will I get an interesting reaction from other people? How do I feel about how I look?

I know you wasn't putting me down. I was trying to make you feel good about yourself. :)

Looks like i didn't need to worry in the first place. You've got it all pretty much covered. Good for you.

Social reputation is not high on my list of priorities. ;)