• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How to spot an ESFJ? Or is it ESTJ? Or is it E___?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'm trying to type someone I know and I'm pretty sure he is an ESFJ, though going by all the different descriptions on line, I'm confused now.

How do you spot an ESFJ and distinguish them from say an ESTJ or ESTP or ESFP?

The guy I know is extremely confident but unassuming (casually confident?) and has a very natural, easy going manner. He also has artistic tendencies towards painting and writing -- so it's possible he is an SP right?

BUT -- most of his life was spent as career combat military which made me think of SJ for sure. He talks about how he went into the military because he wanted to protect and help people but doesn't want to boss people around or try to intimdate people.

I'm certain he's an E because he goes out a lot and engages with strangers and makes friends easily (and this is coming from an ENFP).

So, what are the obvious differences between ESFJ and ESFP and between ESTJ and ESTP?

I'm almost thinking he is a 'hidden' ESFP who militarized and is just recently re-entering civilian life and this may cause seeming changes to his personality?

I'm pretty sure the military molds and cranks out _STJ's regardless of who you really are inside.

So, broad topic, but yes -- help me decipher a personality please! I also appreciate your further thoughts and experiences with ESFJ/ESFP/ESTJ/ESTP...

Thanks!

JediM05

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I personally am an ESTJ, and people consider me to be an easy going person. I aso have artistic abilites in drama, and especially music. I can also make friends pretty easily and can sympathize with people more easily than what certain personality profiles can make it seem. I hope I helped!

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I'm trying to type someone I know and I'm pretty sure he is an ESFJ, though going by all the different descriptions on line, I'm confused now.

Very simple, ask them what they are like when they don't have a certain schedule/ set structure to their lives. Most likely, all the Js will be depressed and can't handle having too much time to themselves, all the Ps will be happy working from home 100%.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Thanks for the answers -- it's good to know there's at least one other ESTJ who is also artistic and easy going (way to break stereotypes?) :)

The J/P suggestion is a good test. I forgot this is also how I type people as 'Ps' Always late? Room always messy and you don't care? Always losing stuff? Yep, you're probably a P.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
The J/P suggestion is a good test. I forgot this is also how I type people as 'Ps' Always late? Room always messy and you don't care? Always losing stuff? Yep, you're probably a P.

I don't consider that an accurate P/J differentiation. Mainly I think 'S'-people, are neat and always on time in general. 'N'-people do things at the last minute, change things around right before having to leave/perform etc because they can get away with it. I've known some INTJs who were slobs. All S people I've found are ALWAYS neat/ tidy and very well organized in their surroundings, although not all N-people are slobs, they usually need a maid to pick up after them.

Luke

MBTI Type
INTX

My strategy would be try and narrow down the dominant trait first. Especially since this is an extrovert. What about him is most extroverted?

Fi tends to be more soul-searching and deep, making sure that a given feeling is authentic. Fe is more expressing a mood of the moment without necessarily assigning a huge amount of meaning to it.

P types are more self-questioning because their introverted trait is judging. Their basic strategy for making decisions is something they are always reconsidering. If that's FP, they are making sure their feelings are authentic. If it's TP, they are making sure their underlying logical reasoning is sound. However EP types won't spend quite as much time on this (or take it as seriously) as IP types, instead focusing more attention on specific elements of the world around them.

Extroverted T or F (any J type) is going to result in a lot of decisive action. Te will always be able to provide a concrete reason for these decisions, which will usually be of a very pragmatic nature, but Fe makes them more spontaneously, without the ability or inclination to explain them immediately. So basically the FJ is more likely to just do something because it feels like the thing to do, whereas the TJ must have (and generally does have) an immediate logical justification for a given action.

ESFJ makes decisions quicker, with the concrete information being internally generated (remembered, imagined, e.g.) whereas ESFP takes their time coming to a feelings-based conclusion, but takes in concrete information directly from their environment on a constant basis.

Hope this helps :)

MBTI Type
ENTP
legally_blonde,0.jpg

dblhelix

MBTI Type
INTP

The guy I know is extremely confident but unassuming (casually confident?) and has a very natural, easy going manner. He also has artistic tendencies towards painting and writing -- so it's possible he is an SP right?

BUT -- most of his life was spent as career combat military which made me think of SJ for sure. He talks about how he went into the military because he wanted to protect and help people but doesn't want to boss people around or try to intimdate people.

I'm certain he's an E because he goes out a lot and engages with strangers and makes friends easily (and this is coming from an ENFP).

So, what are the obvious differences between ESFJ and ESFP and between ESTJ and ESTP?

I'm almost thinking he is a 'hidden' ESFP who militarized and is just recently re-entering civilian life and this may cause seeming changes to his personality?

I'm pretty sure the military molds and cranks out _STJ's regardless of who you really are inside.

So, broad topic, but yes -- help me decipher a personality please! I also appreciate your further thoughts and experiences with ESFJ/ESFP/ESTJ/ESTP...

Thanks!
As an INTP in the military, I resent this. I'll also say that the ESTJs I know are actually pretty nice, but they get really frustrated with all the the "politics" involved and they get really annoyed and start yelling and stuff. They're really nice to me though because I'm helpful and they know I'm generally good natured. Don't assume "S" either because I know plenty of "N"s. If he doesn't like to intimidate people or tell them what to do, I would rule out ESFP, ESTP, ESTJ, ENTJ, and possibly ENFJ; however, no one will ever say they like telling people what to do and intimidating them, so I'm not sure what to make of this. Believe it or not, there are ESFJs in the military--I know two of them (well one of them got out after 8 years, but I still count her).

The other ESFJ I know took a while for me to pin down, mostly because he's a guy. Male ESFJs are like the stereotypical "nice jock" who are probably into sports and everything, but they are a lot nicer than most. The one I know keeps in touch with his girlfriend back home and really misses her and he's really sensitive, but he LOVES football and plays it all the time. He always talks about movies he loves, and he loves pretty much every movie. He's really insecure about his intelligence though. We get along very well.

My strategy would be try and narrow down the dominant trait first. Especially since this is an extrovert. What about him is most extroverted?

Fi tends to be more soul-searching and deep, making sure that a given feeling is authentic. Fe is more expressing a mood of the moment without necessarily assigning a huge amount of meaning to it.

P types are more self-questioning because their introverted trait is judging. Their basic strategy for making decisions is something they are always reconsidering. If that's FP, they are making sure their feelings are authentic. If it's TP, they are making sure their underlying logical reasoning is sound. However EP types won't spend quite as much time on this (or take it as seriously) as IP types, instead focusing more attention on specific elements of the world around them.

Extroverted T or F (any J type) is going to result in a lot of decisive action. Te will always be able to provide a concrete reason for these decisions, which will usually be of a very pragmatic nature, but Fe makes them more spontaneously, without the ability or inclination to explain them immediately. So basically the FJ is more likely to just do something because it feels like the thing to do, whereas the TJ must have (and generally does have) an immediate logical justification for a given action.

ESFJ makes decisions quicker, with the concrete information being internally generated (remembered, imagined, e.g.) whereas ESFP takes their time coming to a feelings-based conclusion, but takes in concrete information directly from their environment on a constant basis.

Hope this helps :)
um, I would say that ESFJs definitely do NOT make decisions faster than ESFPs. The ESFJs I know can be terribly indecisive. They're always trying to be perfect, whereas the ESFPs are of the "shoot first, ask questions later" mindset. I would also disagree with Te types being able to justify their decisions better than anyone else, only their reasoning is different. P types are NOT more self questioning, especially EP types. Actually, I would say your entire post is BS.