• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Parental/Genetic Component?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Dad was an INTP

Mom is an ESFJ

Sister is an INFP

Other sister an ESTJ

And I am a hardcore ENFP

I deeply fear if I were to mate with an IT that my child would be like a sociopathic, emotionally retarded, brilliant asshole, kinda like my dad. :/

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I can provide enough emotion (when times are tough) for all 3 of us. Why on earth would i want more F people around me, lol. My youngest turned round to me today after seeing that i had received another book i ordered on line and after asking what i had brought said to me 'Stop buying that crap'. It was another self help book. I love T's in my life. :D:yes:

Like Jennifer said though .. There has been some interesting head banging with me and my youngest in the past. We are what we are and i know he is never going to have a clean room or wash unless i drag his butt to the shiny thing called a tap and make him clean himself. lol. It is amazing and i only wish i knew about this MBTI earlier.

I was under the impression your children were quite young as the picture you showed us of yourself, well ... What's your secret darling??? ;)

"Stop buying that crap" is great! Maybe with more Ts in my life, I'd be better at balancing my checkbook!

Bless you for asking me my "secret!" My secret is getting pregnant when I was 15, unfortunately! It's funny...people always confuse me for my oldest son's sister. I remember shopping once for school clothes and he said "Mom!" to get me to go looking at something and the sales lady's eye flew open and she said "Did he just call you MOM?" :shocking: Also, once I went to get him at a little "hang out" place for 17-18 year olds and I was arguing with him in the parking lot (yes, I sometimes sink to 18 year old maturity - I admit it!). It was drawing a bit of a crowd and the owner of the place came out and said if we didn't leave, he was going to have the police break up our little "lover's quarrel." He was very humble and quickly snuck away when I informed him that I was his mother. :alttongue: His friend couldn't find a date for prom and really wanted me to go with him. Funny stuff! The only problem is that it backfires too...because many people don't take me seriously until I open my mouth and start talking.

I love the "darling" thing too. I want to put my head in your lap, to have you stroke my hair and tell me stories!!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can provide enough emotion (when times are tough) for all 3 of us. Why on earth would i want more F people around me, lol. My youngest turned round to me today after seeing that i had received another book i ordered on line and after asking what i had brought said to me 'Stop buying that crap'. It was another self help book. I love T's in my life. :D:yes:

This is how I feel too. T's balance me. :yes:

Bless you for asking me my "secret!" My secret is getting pregnant when I was 15, unfortunately! It's funny...people always confuse me for my oldest son's sister. I remember shopping once for school clothes and he said "Mom!" to get me to go looking at something and the sales lady's eye flew open and she said "Did he just call you MOM?" :shocking: Also, once I went to get him at a little "hang out" place for 17-18 year olds and I was arguing with him in the parking lot (yes, I sometimes sink to 18 year old maturity - I admit it!). It was drawing a bit of a crowd and the owner of the place came out and said if we didn't leave, he was going to have the police break up our little "lover's quarrel." He was very humble and quickly snuck away when I informed him that I was his mother. :alttongue: His friend couldn't find a date for prom and really wanted me to go with him. Funny stuff! The only problem is that it backfires too...because many people don't take me seriously until I open my mouth and start talking.

Lovers quarrel!! :rofl1: That is hilarious.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
"Stop buying that crap" is great! Maybe with more Ts in my life, I'd be better at balancing my checkbook!

I love the "darling" thing too. I want to put my head in your lap, to have you stroke my hair and tell me stories!!

Same here, pregnant at 15 and 17. We prove that you can have kids very young and still do right by them. The amount of filthy looks i used to get from people, i would love to see them now, throw my kids in their face and say 'Ha, my kids are no delinquents even though i was young'.
I think i would pick my kid up from the local hangout just to embarrass the hell out of him. He'd kill me for that, still got a few years though. lol :yes:
Awww, that is so cute being asked to the prom. You MILF. lol. Well you are gorgeous. I am only speaking the truth.

You are a darling. OK then, come over, I'll make us a cuppa and we can chat whilst i stroke your hair. :wubbie:

On a serious note .. You can't balance your checkbook? You mean your finances are not in order? I insist you fly over immediately .. We can't have this, It needs to be rectified at once. lol
Take no notice .. I am rarely serious ;)

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I don't mind you calling me "Sonata". I have been called worse before, I'm sure, and I've also been known to answer to "Hey You!" before as well. So whatever you prefer is fine. :D

Hmm. And I thought my Mom had me young. She was 22 when she had me. Here's a thought.....I learn mostly by reading, but to a somewhat lesser degree, by mimicking. What if mimicry is one of an ISTJ's traits, and I not only developed by "nature", but also indirectly by "nurture", by mimicking my Mother?

Did that make sense? Is there a personality trait/type that absolutely refuses, or at least doesn't like/prefer external influences on their development, be they for conscious or subconscious reasons?

I tend to believe Nature and Nurture are on a continuum, like the rest of the dichotomies. Perhaps some types of people are more or less influenced by either end of the pole?

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
There is a genetic component to behavior and personality, some of the studies I've read dealing with such work with comparing Monozygotic twins separated at birth, to Dizygotic twins, and studies determined that in their samples ranging from 50% to 60% is determined by behavior, the rest, the 50% to 40% is malleable to fit current circumstances.

For those who question the genetic portion of personality (of whether it exists or not) and don't trust studies. Remember that all dogs came from one common ancestor, and they were unnaturally modified (by human hands) to fit what people needed them to do. We breed dogs for intelligence, ferocity, protective instincts, gentleness, size, shape, obedience, strength, etc.

And this was not performed by scientists with knowledge of genetics but by simple observations by average people, and breeding those with similar traits that they wanted to cultivate.

Are their dogs that do not fit their mold and what they were breed to do, yes, but one would agree that different dogs have vast differences with innate behavior, intelligence, personality, etc.

Like all genetic material there is the phenotype and the genotype, the phenotype is what comes out, what is visible, obvious and currently active in the individual, and the genotype is what has not activated, unseen, but is still carried within the individual, and thus still subject to being passed on.

Crossover also allows for mutation to occur, which assists in biodiversity and allows a small break away from both parents, thus personality can be effected by this as well.

You can also look at mental/genetic diseases as well, how they skip generations, dominate vs. recessive genes, etc, we have a lot of research on the passage of mental disabilities. we classify mental conditions that are deemed unhealthy because they are more devastating and thus are given labels and identity. Positive and neutral traits pass along the same way, but are not researched at the same level as those which cause problems.

Man I’m all over the place, my basic premise is that there is a genetic component.