• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INxJ majorly clashing with ESFJ roommate!

penelope

MBTI Type
INxJ
And it's driving me crazy!

I have no idea how to deal with her. Any suggestions on how to handle the ESFJ? Especially from a roommate's perspective?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I have no idea how to deal with her. Any suggestions on how to handle the ESFJ? Especially from a roommate's perspective?

Ooh, leave handling the ESFJ's to me!

She will no doubt listen to you in normal conversation. It may help a lot to get each other on a base of respect. Acknowledging and accepting you two are different is the first step to charming an ESFJ.

I find ESFJ's to be the most unreasonable and stubborn sort of people in most arguements. But in a cute way. I admire their persistance. And they usually don't mean harm at all. They're just, outspoken. If you can accept that and live with that. Maybe brush it of with humor and try to have some laughs. You'll be perfectly capable of living together.

Just get on a common ground in normal conversation first. Trying to understand why you two are the way you are. ESFJ's are full of potential respect, but you do have to tap into it first. :)

edit: Either way, they seem impossible creatures sometimes, especially towards us N's. But they're still quite warm on the inside. :smile:

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
Ooh, leave handling the ESFJ's to me!

She will no doubt listen to you in normal conversation. It may help a lot to get each other on a base of respect. Acknowledging and accepting you two are different is the first step to charming an ESFJ.

I find ESFJ's to be the most unreasonable and stubborn sort of people in most arguements. But in a cute way. I admire their persistance. And they usually don't mean harm at all. They're just, outspoken. If you can accept that and live with that. Maybe brush it of with humor and try to have some laughs. You'll be perfectly capable of living together.

Just get on a common ground in normal conversation first. Trying to understand why you two are the way you are. ESFJ's are full of potential respect, but you do have to tap into it first. :)

edit: Either way, they seem impossible creatures sometimes, especially towards us N's. But they're still quite warm on the inside. :smile:

This approach works well for me too, but I wonder if that's because we're Ps, not J. I'd think it more challenging for the a J to overlook the differences and focus on other approaches to relate.

Not trying to demean penelope, of course, and if we had more info on the situation we could probably give a better sense of direction with advice. I had an INTJ and ESFJ roommate who were pretty much best friends since high school. They related intensely on their passion for fitness and code of respect. However, the INTJ roommate liked to tell the ESFJ what he should do, and the ESFJ would sometimes stubbornly go against him, albeit in a very friendly and docile way.

I found it easier to relate intellectually with the INTJ, but would sometimes butt heads with him when my persistence to rationality equaled his (he once outright told me he was upset at me because I kept disagreeing with him). It was easier to get along with the ESFJ since we mutually focused on seeing where we relate.

My advice would be similar to Fluffywolf's, with the added suggestion that you use your N to see the ways in which your relationship can at least be mutually beneficial, if even on a superficial level. If you can get to the point where you're not butting heads and instead able to tolerate each other, then you could perhaps understand the ESFJ's perspective in an empathetic manner. Keep in mind that relationships with others aren't made by bending one's will over the other; that would be employment. It may be unfair to have to be the one to compromise, but someone's gotta take the step forward and it will be the one who can see the situation as a whole.

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ

How is she driving you crazy? What does she do?
Is this in a college dorm or an apartment?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Are you leaning more towards NF or NT as that is going to make so much difference here?

NTJ's - 100% respect they'd get from me but as someone else mentioned, forcefully tell me what to do and you'll piss me off .. Tell me why it is in my best interest and i'll go and mull it over. Love the no bullshit approach so happy days. :)

NFJ's - Hmmmmm. Sensitive and more so than myself which is scary.

I'll wait to find out more info before i go on with this.