• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ's and organization

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
So organization is supposedly what SJ's are known for and what we're supposedly best at. Well I'm not that great at it and I don't really like to do it. Tips? Are YOU an organized SJ? It seems like some SJ's I know are more focused on minor details than organizing everything. Like OCD I guess. I don't really know what I was going for here...

Discuss?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
:huh: .. What do you mean you don't like to do it? ;)

It just makes sense to get things organised.

For example - If your clothes are out and ready the night before, should you wake up late, you won't be rushing around. If your bag is ready and packed, you can walk straight out the door.

I think of it as time efficiency. I don't like wasting time messing around looking for my keys, my paperwork etc.

I have an appointment somewhere tomorrow morning and everything is ready on my table. I am a good girl :)

Although, i am learning not to organise my kids stuff so much these days as they have to learn this themselves. No point me doing everything for them only for them to not have a clue when they go into the big wide world alone.
:yes:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, I'm not always organized. There is not enough time to organize everything anyway because I like to do other things as well.

I think there's a happy medium for this. If you are too organized, you won't have time to do anything else besides keep organized. If you're not organized enough, you waste time/money/energy and may miss good opportunities.

/DG/

I think there's a happy medium for this. If you are too organized, you won't have time to do anything else besides keep organized. If you're not organized enough, you waste time/money/energy and may miss good opportunities.

Heh. That's very true. I like your way of thinking about it. :alttongue:

I suppose I do organize things a little bit, but only minor details. I don't organize the whole picture, if that even makes sense. But I suppose that has to do with being an SJ, doesn't it? :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heh. That's very true. I like your way of thinking about it. :alttongue:

I suppose I do organize things a little bit, but only minor details. I don't organize the whole picture, if that even makes sense. But I suppose that has to do with being an SJ, doesn't it? :)

Yep. They say Ss get caught up in the details. The details are sometimes just so distracting... like glow sticks! :shock:

/DG/

Did someone say... GLOW STICKS?

Weeeee!

glowsticks.jpg

I think I'm derailing my own topic. :/

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*Stares at the glowsticks* :D I wonder how they make those.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
You may be underestimating yourself. You may think that your lifestyle is somewhat disorganized, but when you have to live with or spend a lot of time with a P, you'll realize how organized you truly are. Not to say that Ps are always total slobs, but I think there's generally a noticeable difference.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm organized for the most part, but not super-organized. There are times when I won't be that organized, but I'm definitely good at it, and if it's necessary, then I will excel at it.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Organization is definitely the thing I respect most about SJ's. They are all organized in one way or another. I'm organized with some things- My house is clean, my bills are paid, etc. But I FORCE myself to do these things, whereas it seems to come more naturally to an SJ (even if it doesn't seem like it to them) because it brings, not so much happiness, but definitely security. Like when Saslou mentioned having clothes ready the night before and keys on the table, it probably allows her to go to sleep in peace without having to worry.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Organization is definitely the thing I respect most about SJ's. They are all organized in one way or another. I'm organized with some things- My house is clean, my bills are paid, etc. But I FORCE myself to do these things, whereas it seems to come more naturally to an SJ (even if it doesn't seem like it to them) because it brings, not so much happiness, but definitely security. Like when Saslou mentioned having clothes ready the night before and keys on the table, it probably allows her to go to sleep in peace without having to worry.

Lol .. No, i can worry about something else instead ;)

Sil

This is a test.
So organization is supposedly what SJ's are known for and what we're supposedly best at. Well I'm not that great at it and I don't really like to do it. Tips? Are YOU an organized SJ? It seems like some SJ's I know are more focused on minor details than organizing everything. Like OCD I guess. I don't really know what I was going for here...

Discuss?

I'm...loosely organized. I keep lists and whatnot. I just forget about them soon after making them.

Unless I'm passionately engaged in whatever the hell it is I'm doing, details slip by me.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh, organization...

I have OCPD, which is similar to OCD except instead of being a mental disorder, it's a personality disorder. Also I don't have a thing with numbers. Just with organization and cleanliness. Like, you have to wash your hands before I'll let you touch my game controller because I don't know what you've touched and if you don't do it I'm going to have a meltdown.

I've heard the difference between OCD and OCPD be explained as this: OCD, being a mental disorder, finds having OCD frustrating and stressful and wants to seek help to stop experiencing symptoms. OCPD, being a personality disorder, sees itself as an ingrained core part of one's personality and very being, and rejects the idea of "curing" OCPD, because the person with OCPD does not see it as a problem (and may even see it as a benefit).

I do see it as a benefit. Anyone who complains about my OCPD with my possessions and hygiene and things says it gets in the way of having fun, but honestly all I hear is "stop being so organized" which makes no sense because why would someone choose to stop being organized if they're organized? Organized is a good thing. Why would I want to stop being good. It's like telling me to start being a slightly shittier version of myself.

Like who cares if I want you to wash your hands before we play monopoly and you all touch my game pieces. I just don't want dog fur and germs and general yuckiness getting all over my stuff and I can't sleep at night knowing that there's something disgusting that hasn't been cleaned. I wash my hands immediately after petting any of my dogs and if anyone tries to touch me (or anything else) after petting an animal without washing their hands first it stresses me out.

I will admit I have annoyed people because of it. They get pissy with me sometimes but I honestly don't understand why. I honestly don't think it's too much to ask everyone to wash their hands before touching me or my stuff. I don't think it "gets in the way" or anything or is a "waste of time."

But um yeah, I guess you could say I'm very obsessed with organization and cleanliness and hygiene.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I posted similar questions about this in a few posts and I have been told repeatedly that the descriptions suck, I think you have to look at your cognitive functions, the why of why you do things. I also read Dick Bolles opinion on this (What color is your parachute) and he referred to them as families. Like ISTJ is a family and you can be different from the rest of your family. Some folks here think I could be an ISFJ, but I have never been organized. Actully basic organization/housework is pretty low on the totem pole for me in terms of priorities. I am much more focused on money, what they heck I am going to with my life and getting my financial house in order. I also heard that there is some research to report that messy kids have higher IQs. Again all this is what others have told me. If you want motivation to clean/organize, think of it as therapy. Cleaning/organizing can be very therapeutic and after you are done, you can see a tangible result of your work which is always satisfying and reward yourself afterwards, have a cookie.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most. I know are good at it, now does it mean they actually do it? Nope

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Oh, organization...

I have OCPD, which is similar to OCD except instead of being a mental disorder, it's a personality disorder. Also I don't have a thing with numbers. Just with organization and cleanliness. Like, you have to wash your hands before I'll let you touch my game controller because I don't know what you've touched and if you don't do it I'm going to have a meltdown.

I've heard the difference between OCD and OCPD be explained as this: OCD, being a mental disorder, finds having OCD frustrating and stressful and wants to seek help to stop experiencing symptoms. OCPD, being a personality disorder, sees itself as an ingrained core part of one's personality and very being, and rejects the idea of "curing" OCPD, because the person with OCPD does not see it as a problem (and may even see it as a benefit).

I do see it as a benefit. Anyone who complains about my OCPD with my possessions and hygiene and things says it gets in the way of having fun, but honestly all I hear is "stop being so organized" which makes no sense because why would someone choose to stop being organized if they're organized? Organized is a good thing. Why would I want to stop being good. It's like telling me to start being a slightly shittier version of myself.

Like who cares if I want you to wash your hands before we play monopoly and you all touch my game pieces. I just don't want dog fur and germs and general yuckiness getting all over my stuff and I can't sleep at night knowing that there's something disgusting that hasn't been cleaned. I wash my hands immediately after petting any of my dogs and if anyone tries to touch me (or anything else) after petting an animal without washing their hands first it stresses me out.

I will admit I have annoyed people because of it. They get pissy with me sometimes but I honestly don't understand why. I honestly don't think it's too much to ask everyone to wash their hands before touching me or my stuff. I don't think it "gets in the way" or anything or is a "waste of time."

But um yeah, I guess you could say I'm very obsessed with organization and cleanliness and hygiene.

If I spill salt on the floor do you have to count each grain or is that only fairies?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I spill salt on the floor do you have to count each grain or is that only fairies?

I don't know, I just pull out the vacuum. :laugh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm very organized. I'm not always neat and tidy, but I'm always organized. Even if my space is messy, I still know where everything is, and everything is located somewhere easy for me to access. Somewhere time-efficient and space-efficient.

Not sure if I have advice on the organization front, because that comes so naturally and instinctively for me. I'm too opposed to chaos, to allow it to enter my space -- and I'm to opposed, on principle, to things going in stupid places, to allow them to go in stupid places.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm organized most of the time, but there's some weird cycle I go through where I alternate between organized and disorganized. Like I'm always disrupting my own routines and then establishing new ones.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
how do decide what to throw away? and what to keep? are you hoarders?