• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Tertiary function use (SJs)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Hi all,

I've been meaning to post more in the SJ part of the forum, so sorry that my first post is brain probing :). Make it social also if you like.

My question is: What is your experience of your tertiary function like, and how does it display?

In the type profiles I see glimpses of it, but they tend to gloss over these details.

The tertiary function for each SJ type is:

ESFJ: Extroverted Intuition
ESTJ: Extroverted Intuition
ISFJ: Introverted Thinking
ISTJ: Introverted Feeling

To see what things belong in each function, you can go to this cognitive processes test, and scroll down to the function you want.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I'm not extremely knowledgeable about cognitive functions, but based on my limited understanding here's when I use Ne:

I'm good at thinking of possible "what-if's" in order to prepare for an event or scenario. I am the one who packs EVERYTHING just in case it rains, or I get bored, or I end up locking my keys in my car, or whatever. I am constantly thinking of possible realistic factors that enable me to prepare for whatever may happen in a given situation. It also tends to make me a bit worrisome because I tend to think about negative things that MAY happen. I use Ne a lot to ask myself, "What if I'm not prepared for such-and-such to happen?" and then I go and do what I can to prepare for that possible situation.

I also use Ne in play. Random discussions, playing imaginative games with kids, crafty things like card making or scrapbooking, using creativity in social events I plan.... Ne emerges in my hobbies.

I also use it some in my work (I'm a graphic designer).

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
My Fi is quite high, even for an ISTJ. It guides me on a lot of decision-making, believe it or not. It also tells me what things I hold true to myself. It also helps tell me when a situation is unjust. And when it tells me this, it helps show me what I can do to make something just. It gives me more motivation. Over the past year, I can definitely tell that my Fi is expanding, while Fe seems to deteriorate. Get back to me on Ne, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Snow Turtle

Sometimes I'm a little confused on what Ti is because it seems really similar to Fi. However I guess one big difference between me and my IFP friend is that I seem to try and organise all my ethical feelings and systems in a logical manner.

It tends to manifest itself in sort of like a...

"I'm feeling XYZ"
"The reason I feel XYZ is this"
"The reason I feel that is this"
"That combination of factor leads to this"
"That thing causes these problems"
"It's obvious how silly this all really is. To overcome this problem I need to do that"
"But problem Y is the reason I haven't overcome it"

It's the reason that I often get into semantics arguments on what Empathy vs Sympathy is exactly. Ti attempts to define things to get a universal understanding system.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I have just looked it up on Wikisocion .. and i am really surprised.

This is a function we do not use very often if i am correct however,
1 - In a group setting when brainstorming, i am mostly making connections and will speak up .. Will it generate enough funds, get enough people interested etc. Means to an end as i don't want to waste my time.

2 - Oh, i recognise talent in others, and will bring it out. I am looking for potential, i can see it, and you will eventually.

3 - I am very curious by nature so i like asking questions. Do others become curious, i am not sure. I like to know why you think what you do, i am trying to get to the core of your reasoning on particular subjects (especially if surrounding Psychology)

4 - Types that value Ne prefer to try out an opportunity rather than consider all possible ways in which it could not work out. They pick a few options and stick with them .. Yeah, but that is just stubborness on my part when i am that kind of mood.

Do i even have this right .. I am not sure if i am so far off the mark here .. :blush: I know i should research it more. I just can't get on with it for some strange reason. Is it abstract in some way? lol

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I don't know how much I use Fi, to be honest. I could be using it all the time and simply not know it. I have noticed I use quite a bit of Ne. I've been told I use it a lot more than other ISTJs.

Who knows.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That was a neat and helpful link. I'm still not entirely sure when I use Ti but I think I can do it okay but only when I have to. I find it pretty exhausting and unnatural and not fun for me.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Since there aren't a whole lot of SJ's on this forum, I think I'll make my attempt at contributing. :p

*looks at link*

Hmm. Well, assuming that I'm an ISTJ, my tertiary function is Fi. I think I use it when deciding whether or not to tell someone the truth or to lie to get out of it. I feel guilty when I lie (although I may do it quite often :devil:). I'd like to think of Fi as my conscience. It tells me whether or not an option is morally right or wrong. Fi is compassion even though I may not show it. But, according to some theories, I shouldn't really be discovering Fi yet. I would do the ISFJ one also, but I don't really understand what Ti is. :p

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I was expecting you all used them a little bit.

I've never seen the divide a lot of people mention between types. I know I get on very well with an ESTJ I know, and have never seen her as being that different to me. In terms of functions, she isn't. She is Te Si Ne. I'm Ne Fi Te. I actually share two of my first three functions with STJs.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about cognitive functions, but based on my limited understanding here's when I use Ne:

I'm good at thinking of possible "what-if's" in order to prepare for an event or scenario. I am the one who packs EVERYTHING just in case it rains, or I get bored, or I end up locking my keys in my car, or whatever. I am constantly thinking of possible realistic factors that enable me to prepare for whatever may happen in a given situation. It also tends to make me a bit worrisome because I tend to think about negative things that MAY happen. I use Ne a lot to ask myself, "What if I'm not prepared for such-and-such to happen?" and then I go and do what I can to prepare for that possible situation.

It sounds familiar. I do it a little bit too. My father who is INTP(Ne Si) does almost the same as you.

I also use Ne in play. Random discussions, playing imaginative games with kids, crafty things like card making or scrapbooking, using creativity in social events I plan.... Ne emerges in my hobbies.

I also use it some in my work (I'm a graphic designer).

I'm not sure you need it to be creative or have an imagination; I think they are human traits. Maybe we're more likely to follow it off into complete chaos, but everyone dreams and imagines.

My Fi is quite high, even for an ISTJ. It guides me on a lot of decision-making, believe it or not. It also tells me what things I hold true to myself. It also helps tell me when a situation is unjust. And when it tells me this, it helps show me what I can do to make something just. It gives me more motivation. Over the past year, I can definitely tell that my Fi is expanding, while Fe seems to deteriorate. Get back to me on Ne, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I think I experience Fi in a similar way, but on anything but big situations I have less conviction when acting on it. It can make you a bit more of a pack animal too. Not in the competitive sense, more looking out for others in the group.

Sometimes I'm a little confused on what Ti is because it seems really similar to Fi. However I guess one big difference between me and my IFP friend is that I seem to try and organise all my ethical feelings and systems in a logical manner.

It tends to manifest itself in sort of like a...

"I'm feeling XYZ"
"The reason I feel XYZ is this"
"The reason I feel that is this"
"That combination of factor leads to this"
"That thing causes these problems"
"It's obvious how silly this all really is. To overcome this problem I need to do that"
"But problem Y is the reason I haven't overcome it"

It's the reason that I often get into semantics arguments on what Empathy vs Sympathy is exactly. Ti attempts to define things to get a universal understanding system.

I don't have much experience of Ti, but it seems like Ti. Fi is more concerned with motivation and harm. Ends up concluding something similar though.

I have just looked it up on Wikisocion .. and i am really surprised.

This is a function we do not use very often if i am correct however,
1 - In a group setting when brainstorming, i am mostly making connections and will speak up .. Will it generate enough funds, get enough people interested etc. Means to an end as i don't want to waste my time.

2 - Oh, i recognise talent in others, and will bring it out. I am looking for potential, i can see it, and you will eventually.

3 - I am very curious by nature so i like asking questions. Do others become curious, i am not sure. I like to know why you think what you do, i am trying to get to the core of your reasoning on particular subjects (especially if surrounding Psychology)

4 - Types that value Ne prefer to try out an opportunity rather than consider all possible ways in which it could not work out. They pick a few options and stick with them .. Yeah, but that is just stubborness on my part when i am that kind of mood.

Do i even have this right .. I am not sure if i am so far off the mark here .. :blush: I know i should research it more. I just can't get on with it for some strange reason. Is it abstract in some way? lol

:). Maybe it's abstract. There isn't a huge amount of clear information around on it. The dislike of abstract comes from having Ti as inferior function, I think.

I definitely can associate with the curious and wanting to know the whys. The first one sounds like Ne. Wanting to bring talant out in others might be Fe. Both Fe and Fi do it, with a different focus.

I don't know how much I use Fi, to be honest. I could be using it all the time and simply not know it. I have noticed I use quite a bit of Ne. I've been told I use it a lot more than other ISTJs.

Who knows.

Fi will make you a bit more idealist, and aware of the effect on people's motivation and dreams. In a way, you want them to choose what is best for them to be them and succeed as themselves (no matter how crazy themself is).

That was a neat and helpful link. I'm still not entirely sure when I use Ti but I think I can do it okay but only when I have to. I find it pretty exhausting and unnatural and not fun for me.

From what others have said, I think it creeps in to support the things you normally do and like, rather than taking over and making you talk all logical. How? I'm not sure. I know I use Te very differently to an ExTJ.

Since there aren't a whole lot of SJ's on this forum, I think I'll make my attempt at contributing. :p

*looks at link*

Hmm. Well, assuming that I'm an ISTJ, my tertiary function is Fi. I think I use it when deciding whether or not to tell someone the truth or to lie to get out of it. I feel guilty when I lie (although I may do it quite often :devil:). I'd like to think of Fi as my conscience. It tells me whether or not an option is morally right or wrong. Fi is compassion even though I may not show it. But, according to some theories, I shouldn't really be discovering Fi yet. I would do the ISFJ one also, but I don't really understand what Ti is. :p

From what I've noticed most people use the tertiary from quite early. Just don't become really strong and aware of it until mid-20s. What you said about Fi makes sense. I get overwhelming guilt about things. I think most people have a conscience and feel guilt in some way though. Just Fi throws you a feeling of what you are damaging at the core of others. I like to take responsibility too if I've made the mistake, but not sure it is Fi.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I have heard it said that Ne is curious but after finding an immediate answer is satisfied (as opposed to Ni being ever-inquisitive). Well, that is definitely me.