• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Different home/work personality types?

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
On the MBTI tests, I pretty much test exclusively ISFJ. But I've been taking some "what should your profession be" or professional tests and find myself testing exclusively ISTJ.

I could see that, since I tend to be more thinking and logical oriented at work and leave my personal life at home.

Does anyone else test different for work/your profession?

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I have no clue if this relates at all, but my highest Enneagram scores were 1and 5.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I could see that, since I tend to be more thinking and logical oriented at work and leave my personal life at home.

I am very much the same in the workplace. I don't show my feelings. I am very much, go in, get the job done and leave (with a little steamrolling if necessary ;))
Only those (2 ppl) who truly knew me, knew when something was up and would pull me to one side.
Other than that. Got a job to do.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I just graduated high school, so the only jobs I've had were customer service oriented. I definitely had a different persona, probably more akin to some kind of ENFX (chipper, energetic, friendly, always smiling). In an environment where my INTJ traits didn't really help me any, I adopted very different mannerisms with the intent of making a good impression so that I would have a good reference when I applied for a job that actually mattered to me. At least until some of the more ridiculous customers pushed me too far, then it was straight back to logical, withdrawn and icy, much to my supervisor's surprise :laugh:

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I agree with poppy, to a certain extent. I also have a job in customer service (I used to be a bagger, and now I'm in Produce) and I know where he's coming from. My highly introverted nature isn't that helpful at work, to be honest. I'm supposed to be....outgoing, friendly, and all that other stuff poppy listed.

And that's how I came up with my "Mask". I wear a "Mask" of the Customer Service Superman. I have many faults, but thankfully impatience isn't one of them, so I've never reacted negatively to a customer. Although I applaud poppy for the bravery --- I would have chickened out and then some.

The "Mask" I wear only on the sales floor, too, now that I think about it. My fellow co-workers know me somewhat. Well, as much as my introversion allows them to. ; )

On another note....Lambchop, are you completely certain you are indeed ISFJ? Is there a possibility that you could be ISTJ? Try taking a Cognitive Functions oriented test instead of an MBTI and see what happens ---- just for giggles.

When it comes to work, it should be something you enjoy, or so they say. Do you prefer (enjoy) the jobs an ISTJ would like, or would you be happier in a position recommended for ISFJs?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I prefer jobs where I'm allowed to be myself, or more or less ISFJ, but unfortunately, they aren't always secure or don't pay well. :(

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I am very much the same in the workplace. I don't show my feelings. I am very much, go in, get the job done and leave (with a little steamrolling if necessary ;))
Only those (2 ppl) who truly knew me, knew when something was up and would pull me to one side.
Other than that. Got a job to do.
I am very much like this. Very rarely showed much at work aside from a commitment to getting the job done. Actually my coworkers at my last job were literally shocked when they found out what an active social life I had outside of work because they rarely saw the extroverted, fun-loving side of my personality.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I agree with poppy, to a certain extent. I also have a job in customer service (I used to be a bagger, and now I'm in Produce) and I know where he's coming from. My highly introverted nature isn't that helpful at work, to be honest. I'm supposed to be....outgoing, friendly, and all that other stuff poppy listed.

And that's how I came up with my "Mask". I wear a "Mask" of the Customer Service Superman. I have many faults, but thankfully impatience isn't one of them, so I've never reacted negatively to a customer. Although I applaud poppy for the bravery --- I would have chickened out and then some.

The "Mask" I wear only on the sales floor, too, now that I think about it. My fellow co-workers know me somewhat. Well, as much as my introversion allows them to. ; )

On another note....Lambchop, are you completely certain you are indeed ISFJ? Is there a possibility that you could be ISTJ? Try taking a Cognitive Functions oriented test instead of an MBTI and see what happens ---- just for giggles.

When it comes to work, it should be something you enjoy, or so they say. Do you prefer (enjoy) the jobs an ISTJ would like, or would you be happier in a position recommended for ISFJs?

What are some cognitive function oriented tests that I can take? Funny thing, I think I could be happy in either.

Today, I definitely knew I was an ISFJ when I started CRYING (much to my humiliation) because of something my boss said to me!! :violin:

In looking at personality types, I'm pretty certain he's an ISTJ. (He's an attorney too, and it totally fits) There are some distinct differences between he and I. In fact, I might start a post on how to relate better to him!

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
:puppy_dog_eyes:
I'm a girl!

:)

Yes, the customer service mask! The place I worked at kind of overcharged for food (it was pretty good, but a little pricey and took forever because it was always so busy). I thought the customers deserved a little pep because I think it's such a drag to pay a mopey little teenager who obviously hates you $2.50 for a bagel with cream cheese. So I guess that was my NiFi-fueled reasoning for adopting such different behavior.

I'd love to have a job where I could be my pedantic asshole self some day though...

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:puppy_dog_eyes:
I'm a girl!

Your profile pic is SO man like, don't lie. :D

As for me, I don't really change at work. I mean, I have a "work mode" in my mind, but my TYPE or personality doesn't really make shifts. I am just a certain way at work is all. I think we all are.

Lightning_Rider

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well if I remember correctly, the ideal ISFJ jobs are jobs that involve caring for people or helping people in some way or basically just being involved with people.

I could see myself being a psychologist or something like that, and often in my job there are times where I wish I could be involved with people just a little bit more. But then again, I also love what I do and I might miss some aspects of the job I have now if I were something else. So I think the 'ideal jobs' for your MBTI type are just a guide, they aren't necessarily black and white saying you'll never be content with your profession if you don't pick one of the ideal jobs for your type.

That said, I do get to talk to people in my job fairly often and I have a good relationship with my co-workers so I guess my people-need is filled in that respect. I am a web developer for my profession by the way.

Just because we are F's doesn't mean we don't enjoy logic and just because we are S's doesn't mean we don't enjoy a bit of theory, etc.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Lambchop, here's the link to the test I took. It measures "Cognitive Function", which basically just shows you in what order your prefer/use the eight functions.

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/assessment/develop_old.html

FallaciaSonata,

Now I'm even more confused:

Based on your ranked responses to the 120 phrases...

Based on your ranked responses to the 120 phrases...

- Fi

- Si

- Ti

- Te

- Ni

- Fe

- Se

- Ne

Your Possible Type Code
According to the traditional sorting method of finding the most-used functional pairs (such as Fi-Ne), your type might be:

Possible result: ISTJ

We are also trying a new sorting method to try to indicate best-fit type. This method is experimental and may not match your type.

Possible result: ISFJ

Your Developmental Curve
This model attempts to graph a 'developmental curve'. Theoretically, people should choose simpler, less sophisticated aspects of the cognitive processes more often than they choose complex, more sophisticated aspects. The simpler aspects of each process are necessary to perform the more sophisticated aspects! However, because the phrases are in development, this measure has questionable validity.

Your self-assessment curve = -5.7

-- A curve less than 0 indicates you checked simpler phrases more often than sophisticated ones. This is expected, although a particularly low number (more than -10) might happen if the phrases were particularly unclear to you, or if you under-estimated your abilities.

-- A curve greater than 0 indicates you checked sophisticed phrases more often than simpler ones. This would be counter to a developmental model and might happen if many phrases are badly written or if you have over-estimated your capabilities.

Your Most-Used Processes
Based on your response, these are your top three cognitive processes in use:

Fi : Evaluating; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for.

Si : Reviewing past experiences; 'what is' evoking 'what was'; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been.

Ti : Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision.

These definitions are the copy protected material of Linda V. Berens and Telos Publications, Huntington Beach, CA and may not be used without the authors express written consent. All other material is the exclusive property of Dario Nardi, 2004 and may not be used without express written consent. Please contact us for permissions.

Your Developmental Report
Your pattern of responses indicates a developmental level in each cognitive processes. Since this is experimental, this report may be in error.

Se,Ne
You notice this process and enjoy when others use it but only occassionally find yourself engaging in it. You may marvel at others who do it very well. It doesn't appear useful to you personally and can annoy you if others use it too much.

Ni,Te,Fe
You value this process as a helpful aid, even if you do not engage it that often. You trust it contributes to life, particularly when done by others who do the process well. You might recruit others to help you do this process for you.

Ti,Si
You create value, aid others and get things done everyday using this process. You function well here, know all the ins and outs, strengths and limits of this process. You have made this process your own, something personal and unique to you.

Fi
You sustain and grow yourself and those around you long-term through this process. You are at your best, your peak creative and leadership moments when engaged in this process. This is a lead role; it is who you are and what you truly do.

I'm not sure this helped -- can you help explain it to me?

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This was mine from a while ago.

cognitivetestresultsph3.jpg

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
That test isn't really supposed to be used to type yourself with, but if answered correctly, it can show which of the eight functions you favor, or use more.

My dominant function is Si, but that test showed that I use Te slightly more. But I still have the traditional, Si-Te, Ne, and Fi. I actually use the Ne more than the Fi, too, which is interesting.

Didn't mean to confuse you. If you have any questions, I'll try to clear them up. But no promises. I only *think* I know everything. ; )

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
"Se,Ne
You notice this process and enjoy when others use it but only occassionally find yourself engaging in it. You may marvel at others who do it very well. It doesn't appear useful to you personally and can annoy you if others use it too much.

Ni,Te,Fe
You value this process as a helpful aid, even if you do not engage it that often. You trust it contributes to life, particularly when done by others who do the process well. You might recruit others to help you do this process for you.

Ti,Si
You create value, aid others and get things done everyday using this process. You function well here, know all the ins and outs, strengths and limits of this process. You have made this process your own, something personal and unique to you.

Fi
You sustain and grow yourself and those around you long-term through this process. You are at your best, your peak creative and leadership moments when engaged in this process. This is a lead role; it is who you are and what you truly do."

So according to this, Fi (Introverted Feeling) is my lead cognitive process and my other two main ones are Ti (Introverted Thinking) and SI (Introverted Sensing)? And none of my main cognitive functions are extroverted? I guess I'm not sure what this is telling me? :doh:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Don't you want to smack me Giggly and say "Duh!"?? I guess I'm a little slow to understand things sometimes! The balance statement might be exactly correct though. :hug:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't you want to smack me Giggly and say "Duh!"??

No, not at all! :hug: I didn't know what the cognitive functions meant either when I first come to the forum. In time, you'll get it. :)

I guess I'm a little slow to understand things sometimes! The balance statement might be exactly correct though. :hug:

It took me months to get it and I still don't have all 8 down. This was even after Magic Poriferan explained it pretty well. :doh:

When I took this test I didn't know what any of it meant, but I'm glad that I took it when I didn't know what any of it meant, because once I learned what some of it meant, I could look back on my results and trust that I answered more accurately and objectively. Once you know what some of it means, you might be more prone to be biased when you answer the questions.