• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs, what is your take on Twilight?

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Sounds awfully realistic to me. Perhaps it's because I'm a pessimist. I've never been in love, but the people I know (parents especially) have told me that it isn't a fairytale. There isn't any magic to it. I trust their opinion. ; )

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
maybe spoiler for anyone who wants to read the books and hasn't

I don't think the books portray "being in love" as perfect, either. The main characters are drawn to each other, while knowing realistically that in "real life" fairy tales don't exist. Bells develops another love interest (kind of) who is a vampire because it would be a relationship more realistic of lasting "in the real world", who then ends up "imprinting" on her daughter that she has with the vampire and becoming her daughter's lifetime soul mate.

I don't think Stephanie portrayed the typical female all consumed with the male thing as much as some people do. She kind of makes fun of Jessica for being such a puppy dog with the guy (I'm HORRIBLE with remembering names) who obviously wants Bella. She takes the whole good vs. evil battle in the traditional sense of black and white and puts some color into it and then stirs it up. The very last book was extremely unpredictable to me and I LOVED that. I can read VERY quickly (like you Sonata...I get annoyed when people can't talk, think, type, etc as fast as I can)...but I read as SLOWLY as possible to try to stretch out the pleasure because I knew it was the last book.

I hate fluff books...I look for depth and strong plot and interesting themes. I had no intention of ever reading the Twilight books, despite my obsessive addiction to True Blood (a whole 'nother story!) I thought it was a teenage girl thing (I'm 35) to giggle over. I picked it up on a bored whim at the library. I ended up loving it! Sometimes you can't judge a book by it's cover...MUWHAHAHA.

Sonata, give it another shot. Read the second one. Yes, it has sappy romance crap in it. But I think you'll find more there. You now have both your sister and I egging you on. I think you should rise to the challenge! I "double dog" dare you to read the whole series and then come back and post!!! :devil:

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Sounds awfully realistic to me. Perhaps it's because I'm a pessimist. I've never been in love, but the people I know (parents especially) have told me that it isn't a fairytale. There isn't any magic to it. I trust their opinion. ; )

Long term relationships, marriage....those things are not fairytales - your parents are right. They take commitment and faith and hard work, etc. However, being in love with someone always has a magical quality about it...especially if it's with the right person!!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Long term relationships, marriage....those things are not fairytales - your parents are right. They take commitment and faith and hard work, etc. However, being in love with someone always has a magical quality about it...especially if it's with the right person!!

That sounds very wise.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
My take on Twilight (and people who "love" to talk about it all the time): :rolli:

^Granted of course, I have never seen or read any of it, just the fact that people get all hyped up over fictional emo-vampires is kind of..... strange, or maybe that's not what it's all about. :unsure:

I have seen the posters and stuff in bookstores and stuff, just a marketing ploy to get "consumers" to buy more things. :yes:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I've never watched/read Twilight either. And the first time I heard about it was when someone randomly started talking about it. I was totally confused and asked what it was and they said, "What?! You've never heard of Twilight????" They really wanted me to read it too, but I don't really think I'd like to. The whole book is about romance, if I'm not mistaken, and I don't really like that sort of thing because it bores me. But like I said, I've never read the book or watched the movie. There's no harm in giving it a shot.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
My take on Twilight (and people who "love" to talk about it all the time): :rolli:

^Granted of course, I have never seen or read any of it, just the fact that people get all hyped up over fictional emo-vampires is kind of..... strange, or maybe that's not what it's all about. :unsure:

I have seen the posters and stuff in bookstores and stuff, just a marketing ploy to get "consumers" to buy more things. :yes:

You sayin I'm "strange?" Them's fightin words! :azdaja: :cheese:

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
We'll see.

Speaking of emo-vampires, I think I've noticed a trend. Do girls in the "emo" crowd get attracted to ISTJs? Because those people who wear too much makeup and looks sort of like clowns, well, they check me out. It's odd.

Especially when I was at skill center. It was like a swarm of bees to honey or something. I've spoken with both male and females that fit this "emo" group, and they're perfectly normal in my opinion. They just look a little strange to some folk, with the few rare exceptions that are actually depressed or slightly off-center.

Anyone here read any of H.P. Lovecraft's stuff? Not to derail the thread, but I'm curious as to what you all read, as SJs. The stereotype says we like true stories and what not, but I've never been that way --- I like sci-fi / fantasy, and that's what I've been told is "more of an N thing".

So, what do you guys read for fun?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's interesting this was brought up.

I was talking to my dad's friend's girlfriend, who is an ESTJ, about Twilight the other month when I was down visiting.

She said some interesting things. She had read the series, so wasn't making a strict judgment. She said that it shouldn't be allowed for teenage girls to read them because it "portrays perfect romance" that young girls will probably never find. And reading the book will give them a faulty perspective of romance, and that finding romance on that level was near impossible.

I am not exaggerating, or bending the story at all. That is how she said it, and I was appalled. And I disagreed with her, though I didn't say so.
I hope you didn't think that I agree with that ESTJ's point. Because I don't. I disagree with that ESTJ on many, many levels.

But yes. That is interesting.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Fun for me to read:

LOVE Legal thrillers...James Patterson, Stephen King and his "genre" - would that be science fiction...probably not, Robin Cook, Charlaine Harris (she would be considered fantasy or mystery I guess), William Diehl (his book Primal Fear was made into a movie with Richard Gere and Edward Norton). I also like Jodi Piccoult, Sophie Kinsella (guilty...*sigh*), Jennifer Weiner. I love books set during Hitler's reign and Nazi Germany and historic ones like that. I'm open to reading just about anything. In fact, if anyone has suggestions for good books...PLEASE post them!

Sonata - have you read "Ender's Game?" That's a science fiction book I read for an English class last year...I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Ender's Game....isn't that one of Orson Scott Card's books? I haven't read it, but I've heard of it. Perhaps I should visit the library.

What's it about?

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Ender's Game....isn't that one of Orson Scott Card's books? I haven't read it, but I've heard of it. Perhaps I should visit the library.

What's it about?

Yes, an Orson Scott Card book

Ender Wiggins is sent away to military school at a very early age. He is among other special recruits who are also the only hope for the planet to survive the next war against the aliens. Ender was picked over his siblings by the school despite his also having very talented siblings. Ender is a little boy who should be in early elementary school. This makes it all the more astounding that he engages in daily warfare with his classmates, all of the same age, while also tackling massive academic challenges. Meanwhile his siblings become secret journalists writing for opposite political sides, with one another's knowledge and cooperation, to make their marks on the planet.

To say more would ruin it. I highly recommend it!

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Call me what what you wish, but I would never give a book a chance in hell when a person that says "I ain't got no money" moments after recommending said book to me.

True story.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Call me what what you wish, but I would never give a book a chance in hell when a person that says "I ain't got no money" moments after recommending said book to me.

True story.

Ohhh...ohhh....I want to call you something! Pick me! Pick me! Uhhh...I can't think of anything though. Damnit Jim! :girlfight:

Why would you judge a book by what some lame person said after recommending it to you? Would you just a person on what some other lame person said about them? If so...I might have a name or two for you.. :newwink:

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ohhh...ohhh....I want to call you something! Pick me! Pick me! Uhhh...I can't think of anything though. Damnit Jim! :girlfight:

Why would you judge a book by what some lame person said after recommending it to you? Would you just a person on what some other lame person said about them? If so...I might have a name or two for you.. :newwink:

Fine, I'll read the book.