• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] You can trade in one 'letter' of your type, for the opposite...........

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
That's an odd way of asking "if you could be any type, what would it be?"

Not at all. If anything, it's exploring, and experiencing others views of life. Its limited to a month to distinguishes
Itself from those "if you could be another type" where the person is looking to make a permanent
Change

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I was able to trade for a month I'd trade my ENT for ISF, it's about as different as you could get switching from Ne-Ti-Fe-Si to Fi-Se-Ni-Te whilst being able to see wtf is up with introverts always complaining that waaah extroverts can't understand them, sensors complaining about the stereotypes that are thrown about and experiencing that strange, strange beast Fi taking control. The best way to understand something different is to live it. You can't have my Pee though *points shotgun at would be pee stealers*

KDude

Simply having a J would be nice for me. That way, I don't wake up at 10 pm, miss important dates, eat less randomly, even finish school.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd choose J. I'm halfway tempted to say E, and be an ENTP, but I think I'd regret it... like regretting getting really drunk and waking up puking on yourself the next day.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'd choose J. I'm halfway tempted to say E, and be an ENTP, but I think I'd regret it... like regretting getting really drunk and waking up puking on yourself the next day.

Yeah, wise call, going back to INTP after a month of ENTP would be depressing :(

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Just for fun, I'd really like to know what it feels like to be an INFP. A real one. Not an ENTP trying to act like one and getting frustrated all the time. Or an ISTJ (bonus point - that version of me will make a detailed report that I'll use later on in my stories). Or... why not, ESFP! Give me fun now, give me Se! :D
For profit, I'd trade my P and become an ENTJ...

Argh. Do I only get one month of experiment time??

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I like my I. I'd prefer to be an INTJ. That personality is very interesting. Power and Ambition I like very much.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
only elephants don't forget.

I don't think I'd want to swap any parts of my type. I'd like to get better at some things like feeling and sensing, (sensing in particular), but I'd hate to trade in my beloved NTness. I'm already P/J enough and E/I enough.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
OP: I think changing a letter is somewhat naive on 2 fronts.

1. When you change a letter, you will inherit both the good and the bad. Every type has a different swot profile. (swot- strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats). To think that you won't pay a price for a change of mind is short sighted.

2. Being a certain type is not so concrete. We switch types all the time. If we couldn't switch, we would be completely intolerable of other types. Nature via nurture. While our environment shapes us, our genetics roots us.

For anyone in the serious study of MBTI, your research will probably lead you to Jung's work, and perhaps specifically to Jung "psychological types". If you had dug deeper, you'll find that Jung used the cognitive functions as a road map toward individuation (his individuation process of shadow, anima/animus etc). This process shows how a person can psychological mature by traveling through your cognitive functions and experiencing life in different ways. It's very much like the enneagram in that the idea is to integration through all the types. Ideally, you would have authentically experienced and learned from becoming all the types.

According to Jungian psychology, individuation is a process of psychological integration, having for its goal the development of the individual personality. "In general, it is the process by which individual beings are formed and differentiated [from other human beings]; in particular, it is the development of the psychological individual as a being distinct from the general, collective psychology."[1]
Individuation is a process of transformation whereby the personal and collective unconscious is brought into consciousness (by means of dreams, active imagination or free association to take some examples) to be assimilated into the whole personality. It is a completely natural process necessary for the integration of the psyche to take place.[2] Individuation has a holistic healing effect on the person, both mentally and physically.[2]
Besides achieving physical and mental health,[2] people who have advanced towards individuation tend to be harmonious, mature and responsible. They embody humane values such as freedom and justice and have a good understanding about the workings of human nature and the universe.[3]

Individuation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Myths-Dreams-Symbols

So according to Jung's individuation process, every type has a natural progression. To wish for another type is fanciful but unrealistic, and may lead to harm via delusional thinking. Something akin to anorexia etc.

Although there is the general notion of making the unconscious conscious, I'm still working on a theory to describe the actual mechanics of this process to aid in practicality. The other problem is trying to converge the modern "shadow functions" with what Jung regarded as the 'shadow'

Shadow (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The first step is to become familiar or to identify your shadow. Here's a list of type and shadow transformations.

Code:
(using the full cognitive function or just the 
first two will yield identical results.)

INTP -> Ti Ne Si Fe [Te Ni Se Fi] -> ENTJ
INTJ -> Ni Te Fi Se [Ne Ti Fe Si] -> ENTP
INFP -> Fi Ne Si Te [Fe Ni Se Ti] -> ENFJ
INFJ -> Ni Fe Ti Se [Ne Fi Te Si] -> ENFP

ISTP -> Ti Se Ni Fe [Te Si Ne Fi] -> ESTJ
ISTJ -> Si Te Fi Ne [Se Ti Fe Ni] -> ESTP
ISFP -> Fi Se Ni Te [Fe Si Ne Ti] -> ESFJ
ISFJ -> Si Fe Ti Ne [Se Fi Te Ni] -> ESFP

ENTP -> Ne Ti Fe Si [Ni Te Fi Se] -> INTJ
ENTJ -> Te Ni Se Fi [Ti Ne Si Fe] -> INTP
ENFP -> Ne Fi Te Si [Ni Fe Ti Se] -> INFJ
ENFJ -> Fe Ni Se Ti [Fi Ne Si Te] -> INFP

ESTP -> Se Ti Fe Ni [Si Te Fi Ne] -> ISTJ
ESTJ -> Te Si Ne Fi [Ti Se Ni Fe] -> ISTP
ESFP -> Se Fi Te Ni [Si Fe Ti Ne] -> ISFJ
ESFJ -> Fe Si Ne Ti [Fi Se Ni Te] -> ISFP

The pattern is that you change your first AND last letter of your MBTI type to start your individuation process. And for some, you might get this Jekyll and Hyde feeling. In light of making oneself better, this might not be a bad thing after all.