• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Paralysis By Analysis- An SJ trait?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
This is a spinoff from the 'Risk' thread:

How often will you analyze something to the point that you are frozen as to what to do- meaning you don't take any action, or what you do is very last minute, rushed or you are even late in execution, trying to figure out what action to take?

I know I have my bouts. Especially at work I may get so caught up on some detail, that in the end I realize is not as big of a deal as I thought, and have to rush through or are late. I've actually made a reminder to myself to just go with whatever I think I need to do, and let my boss decide if it's good or not.

I guess it's the perfectionist in me.

Is it an SJ thing, or maybe a T thing? What do you think?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah, I do this a bit. Sometimes I overanalyze or overthink situations, data, or work that in the end, I either end up doing nothing or work on it for too long, ignoring the big picture.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
How often will you analyze something to the point that you are frozen as to what to do- meaning you don't take any action, or what you do is very last minute, rushed or you are even late in execution, trying to figure out what action to take?

Yep. Like my roommate and buying a house. Really shocking to see someone who is usually such a planner and on top of things freeze up like that. It's like mentally he can't handle it so he does nothing at all.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yep. Like my roommate and buying a house. Really shocking to see someone who is usually such a planner and on top of things freeze up like that. It's like mentally he can't handle it so he does nothing at all.

That's a big decision, each option has a lot of unknown....I can understand where he's coming from.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Only when trying to do something with girls really. I've realized that generally, while planning can be extremely useful, when dealing with girls I need to "just do it". Of course, being a socially inept ISTJ, I can't really "just do it" until I'm forced to, so I always end up delaying my move until the VERY LAST second. Every moment up to that point has me silently freaking out / running simulations in my head.

Otherwise though, I tend to not care about much of my work to a point where I don't get hung up on any details. With personal projects, it's much the opposite where I try to account for absolutely EVERYTHING. (But those personal projects are just for fun and accounting for pointless details is fun for me.)

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I would say this it is more "Paralysis by uncertainty and inability to rank options" for me. I am currently trying to make a short-medium term career decision and I am overwhelmed by information. Furthermore, every time I read some extra information, I would change my mind. I appear to weigh recent information more than earlier information. How can I trust my decision if is so easy to change it?

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I would say this it is more "Paralysis by uncertainty and inability to rank options" for me. I am currently trying to make a short-medium term career decision and I am overwhelmed by information. Furthermore, every time I read some extra information, I would change my mind. I appear to weigh recent information more than earlier information. How can I trust my decision if is so easy to change it?

I don't generally deal with "paralysis by analysis." I will gather all of the information that I need to in order to make a decision, but after I review it - I can make a decision pretty easily and the implement it. My INFP, on the other hand...has horrible "analysis paralysis!"

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't analyze what i do at work. I go in, do the job and leave. Simple as. I know i am good at what i do.

It's at home where i can get myself in a rut and over analysis situations. I did it last night and this morning. I am trying to find work but i have enrolled on a 8 weeks course starting at the end of next month. I have been overthinking things such as how does it look to an employer, should i be doing more, should i just work.

I have now come to the conclusion, i'll do the course if i haven't found work but shall continue applying for anything in my field.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
It is P.

P like to gather as much info as possible for a decision is made.

However many J tend to be risk averse. So if it is something you might thinking is risky, I could see PxA.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
It is P.

P like to gather as much info as possible for a decision is made.

However many J tend to be risk averse. So if it is something you might thinking is risky, I could see PxA.

That's a great point. My risk is usually not getting it right on the first try. Perfectionism at its worst!!

Snow Turtle

Yes... I recently made a decision in my heart to go with a particular university which took ages, and even now I'm uncertain if I'm making a wrong decision. This definitely is a case of paralysis by analysis with a combination of wanting the perfect future, where I'm maximizing happiness and minimizing chance of being unsatisified. It's all a little OCD perhaps.

When I collect more information I feel better however after a while it becomes a case of just delaying a decision because no extra knowledge can help you out. You sit there waiting for inspiration to come but it never does really.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
One of my textbook says that people either maximize the best outcome or maximize the worse outcome. Sometimes I feel as if I am trying to do both at the same time.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
One of my textbook says that people either maximize the best outcome or maximize the worse outcome. Sometimes I feel as if I am trying to do both at the same time.

What textbook (what class) is it?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
That's a great point. My risk is usually not getting it right on the first try. Perfectionism at its worst!!

And that is the problem with perfection. It only matters to you, no one else really cares as much. You see a perfect job well done, they see an adequate one. ;)

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
What textbook (what class) is it?

It's an survey level business course.

Uncertainty
Limited information prevents estimation of outcome probabilities; may force managers to rely on intuition, hunches, and “gut feelings”
Maximax: the optimistic manager’s choice to maximize the maximum payoff
Maximin: the pessimistic manager’s choice to maximize the minimum payoff
Minimax: the manager’s choice to minimize his maximum regret

Powerpoint slide 22
Book website

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
This is a spinoff from the 'Risk' thread:

I know I have my bouts. Especially at work I may get so caught up on some detail, that in the end I realize is not as big of a deal as I thought, and have to rush through or are late. I've actually made a reminder to myself to just go with whatever I think I need to do, and let my boss decide if it's good or not.

I guess it's the perfectionist in me.

Is it an SJ thing, or maybe a T thing? What do you think?

I think it's an Introverted trait, especially an IN or IT trait. I know that INTPs definitely do that as well, as do some INTPs, INTJs, INFJs, and even INFPs at times.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
And that is the problem with perfection. It only matters to you, no one else really cares as much. You see a perfect job well done, they see an adequate one. ;)

Exactly Sassy!!!

It's like I slaved over this spreadsheet, and all I get is a "This looks good"? :huh: You should be preparing to eat off this masterpiece of work!!! LOL

Yes, it's that bad.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I think it's an Introverted trait, especially an IN or IT trait. I know that INTPs definitely do that as well, as do some INTPs, INTJs, INFJs, and even INFPs at times.

I would think if you have I and T, and the more I think about it I could see Ps not being able to get there either.

Thanks.