• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJs, do you hate taking risks?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I've heard on other threads that SJ's don't like risks at all, because they're not reliable. What are your thoughts on risks or risk-taking behavior?

I for one don't like risks if the danger level is too high. If it's a 50-50 shot and if the stakes are too high, then I don't like risks either. If I'm confident about something, then the risk taken is not bad.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't mind taking risks- it all depends on what I'm taking the risk on. One thing for sure, I like being fully educated before making any big decisions.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not an SJ, but I don't like risks. I mean, I might take the 90 side of a 90/10 risk (because there's some risk inherent in any action), but that's about my limit.

I'm actually far more risk-averse than most SJs I know, because I don't trust in traditional or acceptable risks, I scrutinize everything. I see them run up credit card debt because they think it's "acceptable," and they expect to be able to pay it back.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
It depends on how high the stakes are and what risk I'm taking... usually in my life someone or something compels me to take the risk whether I want to or not (taking the lesser of two evils kind of thing). :doh: It's an uncomfortable feeling but in most cases it ends up okay in the end. :yes: You just have to work with whatever situation you are given and make the best of it.

Slickness

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I hate taking almost all risks. But when I am forced to, I simply take the lesser of two evils, like D@v3.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I do take some risks.

I met the man of my dreams (at the time) online and flew 7 hours to get him.

I sold my life in the UK to start again in another country. Granted it didn't work out, but still.

When my confidence returns i'll take more risks. I do plan (hopefully) to start again my life in this new country should all the viables be in my favour.

The only thing i have learnt from these risks is don't put your fate in another persons hands. Do it off your own back. The rewards will hopefully outweigh the pitfalls. ;)

Life is only what you make it.

Last edited:

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I don't like unpredictable things. I need to know for sure about what I'm going to do. So when I did take a risk, I make sure everything is well-prepared.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I don't like unpredictable things. I need to know for sure about what I'm going to do. So when I did take a risk, I make sure everything is well-prepared.

What she said.

Taking risks is something that challenges me. It doesn't come naturally to me, but I see facing fears as a very important part of life. I will take risks, but only well-calculated ones. I have to make sure I have planned out everything as well as possible before taking that risk, and then I will make myself do it. I will also try to consider possible outcomes and scenarios so that I can be prepared for them. But if it seems like something that will benefit me in the end, I can get up the courage to take the risk. It just requires a lot of thought and preparation ahead of time. I am not someone to just do something crazy and risky without very careful consideration first.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It depends. I take risks for fun things. things that don't matter all that much. Things that are a big deal that I care about or that can effect myself or my loved ones a great deal, I'm more of a [very] calculated risk taker.

I'm not always so good at the calculating part though. :thinking:

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
I don't mind taking risks- it all depends on what I'm taking the risk on. One thing for sure, I like being fully educated before making any big decisions.

Sounds like me.

Sometimes I instinctually avoid them, but I know it's important to take risks, so I do consider it at other times.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I tend to plan things out well, so I guess I am less risky than many, but I am also impulsive and I am willing to make risk-reward decisions.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Yeah so it looks like the ESxJs are a little more risk-friendly than the ISxJs.

Lambchop

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yeah so it looks like the ESxJs are a little more risk-friendly than the ISxJs.

I don't mind risks. I moved from one end of the country to the other 6 years ago and only knew 1 person there. I have a permanent scar and nerve damage on my chin from a snowmobile accident - just being reckless and stupid (but soo fun!) The older I get, the more risks I'm willing to take. Playing it safe gets really boring!

I wouldn't take a risk that would put someone else is danger and that's where I draw the line.:)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I tend to plan things out well, so I guess I am less risky than many, but I am also impulsive and I am willing to make risk-reward decisions.

But keep in mind: planning does not equate to being less risky.

I don't mind risks. I moved from one end of the country to the other 6 years ago and only knew 1 person there. I have a permanent scar and nerve damage on my chin from a snowmobile accident - just being reckless and stupid (but soo fun!) The older I get, the more risks I'm willing to take. Playing it safe gets really boring!

I wouldn't take a risk that would put someone else is danger and that's where I draw the line.:)

Now that's what I like to see from an ISFJ!

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ

That was the word i have been looking for .. Impulsive. ;)

The older I get, the more risks I'm willing to take. Playing it safe gets really boring!

I totally agree with you. You play it safe for so long that you get to a point where you think, what have i got to lose. :)

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
If were talking about betting on a pair of Aces that's one thing. True uncertainty is another. And that true uncertainty I absolutely cannot deal with. Take asking a girl out on a date; you don't know the odds. It's a total shot in the dark. For whatever reason, this true uncertainty drives me insane and halts all of my action concerning the matter. Usually I eventually can get over such things and take the plunge, but it takes forever.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Bless. I so understand where you are coming from but possibly one day you will be sitting somewhere alone and just daydreaming thinking to yourself, i should of gone for that.

It is odd that we only get one chance in life yet we choose to allow our fears get on the way of us enjoying ourselves sometimes.

What ya going to do!

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Bless. I so understand where you are coming from but possibly one day you will be sitting somewhere alone and just daydreaming thinking to yourself, i should of gone for that.

It is odd that we only get one chance in life yet we choose to allow our fears get on the way of us enjoying ourselves sometimes.

What ya going to do!

It's exactly those thoughts that get to me to actually take action if I ever do. I don't want any regrets. However, while not taking the opportunity might trigger a regret, taking the opportunity and failing could be a much larger regret (this may be largely a perfectionist thing?). (Although, considering how much relief I get by removing all of the uncertainty, it may be worth it just to take the risk.)

Si sucks.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
It's exactly those thoughts that get to me to actually take action if I ever do. I don't want any regrets. However, while not taking the opportunity might trigger a regret, taking the opportunity and failing could be a much larger regret (this may be largely a perfectionist thing?). (Although, considering how much relief I get by removing all of the uncertainty, it may be worth it just to take the risk.)

Si sucks.

Even the best laid plans have a certain element of uncertainty. I am letting go of the whole 'I'm a perfectionist' label and trying to just accept everything for what it is.
So there you must try to find your balance.
Take the opportunity and have regrets or not take the opportunity and have regrets. When seeing it so black and white like that, it is pretty scary. At least those shades of grey help. ;)

Life is never easy is it? lol

Where is that damn life manual hiding. :doh: