• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] "It's a fact"

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Why does this phrase appear so often when someone tries to assure their audience of something, regardless of whether or not the said information actually constitutes a fact?

I'm annoyed by the misuse of that phrase, usually in some heated argument by a person who's ran out of convincing arguments.

These statements usually go by the template:

We are in the situation of <this and this>. It must be handled the best way in a most expedient manner. Given the fact of <this and this> (really the crux of the whole discussion, controversial interpretation of events), the matter should be decided <this way>.

I think I know the source of agitation. Facts are something so obviously true and real, only a fool would go against them. Sometimes something is taken as a fact prematurely, because the idea has worked for them in the past, or there doesn't seem to be contrary evidence at the time.

When time passes and the less factual nature of the "fact" becomes obvious, he or she feels anxious for the early commitment to the "fact". So, the person is convincing themselves they don't have to change their interpretation, because nothing would be as devastating as not having one's facts straight.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
OK so i may of totally missed your point but here goes.

"Its a fact" .. Never used that saying in my life.

What is fact? I have been having this discussion with Costrin. Nothing is ever fact, they are just theories and idea's until something better comes along and it usually does. To accept everything as fact i believe is incredibly neive. Especially in this day and age, you should always push the envelope further.
Be open minded enough to have your opinions/facts, but be open to other possibilities.

Facts to one individual may be different to another due to different perceptions.

Am i on the right lines or totally off base? ;)

Shaggy

MBTI Type
INfJ
If there were five people in a room including you and I, and I was the only one eating cheetos. I come over to you, and touch the side of your arm while greeting you. When I retract my hand, I drag my fingers down your sleeve. Then, I'm going to deny the accusation of leaving those orange marks on your white shirt. "I wasn't eating anything. I don't even like cheetos!"

If I was capable of convincing the masses that I did not do it, does it matter if I did it? Innocent people go to jail. Guilty people walk the streets.

But the fact is, 2 + 2 = 4.

I don't know what my point is, just a different perspective why people my throw "facts" around more than they should.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't use it's a fact unless I can verify it as a fact. I hate if somebody tries to pass off a hunch or some kind of feeling as a fact. Unless it can be proved by something concrete, I can't respect your facts.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
It's a fact that you have issues with getting upset while people use lame logic.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Well, I used that sentenced today... but I used it as in "It's a fact, not my reasoning". I do that a lot... throw facts on the table without having much opinion on them. I hear it's a Si thing.

And of course, facts aren't everlasting. What is a fact now, may be not be a fact in the future. I bet quite a few people said "It's a fact!" when they were discussing whether the earth was round or not. From one point of observation something might appear as a solid fact, where as it really isn't.

That's why I'm always interested in other people's points of views... if they say something is true to them, then I can't deny it with my facts. I have to understand why they see it as a fact, and work from there. That's why I tend to say "Because of <this and this> it might seem like a good idea, but how about <this and this> then?"

In some cases I'm even found having no opinion on matter at hand, but still questioning and challenging other peoples logic the best of my abilities. I think it's only fair that someone tests their ideas.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I read one definition of fact which I like:

Fact is a theory so well-found that taking it as "unproved speculation" would be stupidity and inefficiency of the worst kind.

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I love facts. Rational actual proven facts.

1 + 1 = 2
As simple as that.

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I love facts. Rational actual proven facts.

1 + 1 = 2
As simple as that.