• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Home and the ISTJ

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
I currently live with an ISTJ (and others) and we are moving at the end of August. We are moving because ISTJ suddenly declared that he was going to buy a house. When several months ago questioned, "ISTJ, what will then become of me?" He shrugged and said, "Well, I'll need a roommate." And, that was that.

Last month, when following up with the ISTJ on this housing matter, I found out he was going to possibly purchase a house and let his British friend live with him either instead of me or in addition to me. Basically, I was potentially going to be phased out depending on his plans. I understand that ISTJ is not as relational as me, but it still hurt that he did not think of me in his planning process and was only concerned with his own affairs. So, after composing a list of 50 Reasons Why I Would Make A Better Roommate... and a great deal of whining to him... I started looking for places on my own.

Funny thing is, turns out the Brit couldn't live with him after all, and ISTJ was sort of stuck by default with me as the only other option. He said that he would want to live with me, and would try to make that happen, but I do wonder if it is just because I was available and a good roommate (never for a second did I actually think my 50 reasons, while appropriately full of wit and persuasive hilarity were factors in convincing him). At any rate, I agreed to live with him and that was that.

Long story short, I have been waiting for ISTJ to buy a house for a couple of months now, and in three weeks, I will be homeless. I found a nice place I could live which is closer to where I work with a few other people my age. The rent would be cheaper than with ISTJ, but at the cost of living with strangers. Thing is, they need to know like TODAY if I want to move in because they are showing their house to other potential roommates. I have already obviously committed to ISTJ, but he isn't responding to me in a very timely fashion or... even at all. He dodges the issue because it stresses him out.

I guess my question to all you ISTJs would be... what should I do? What's the best way to approach my ISTJ roommate to tell him that really, I would prefer to live with him, but he needs to let me know what he is doing! (I already emailed him this yesterday and he told me in person that he would write me back this morning, but that has not happened yet)

I want to be fair to my commitment to him, but at the same time, I want to know that I have a place to live! Thoughts?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Firstly, are you and ISTJ romantically involved?

Personally, with 3 weeks to go, i would be out of mind with worry.
Can he still buy the house if you don't move in with him?
Sort yourself out first darling, if i was you.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
No romance.

I'm not really as worried as I should be probably.

And, probably he can't buy the house without a roommate. His back-up plan was to look for an apartment, which would be fine... but with or without me? Since he rarely includes me in his plans, I can never know if he has considered me or not.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I don't think it is unfair at all to require a little more contact regarding his progress. His decision affects you, in a pretty meaningful way, and while I know you don't want to go back on your commitment, because you do take your commitments seriously, you still need to protect yourself. I'd also make sure to let him know if he can't give you a good estimate on time or progress, that's fine with you, and that while you'll be disappointed because you were excited to be his roommate, you don't want to pressure him to move at a pace that makes him uncomfortable in what is a very big personal step for him. Just make it known that you do need to know the exact status of the deal, lest you lose a place to stay.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'd call him and say ya gotta let me know wth is going on by the end of the day or i'm committing to another place.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I agree with Lady X then.

You need to get some structure in your life and can't wait around for him. There does seem to be a communication problem here so give him a time frame and if he can't work to that, then get your own place.
Simple as.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Talk to him face to face. Make sure you catch him at a time he is not busy. I don't think he excluded you from his plans (at least not on purpose).

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
from my experience with one istj in particular...he may just not think it necessary to discuss all the details with you...it's possibly already decided in his head that you guys are doing it and he just plans on telling you after he's figured it all out...not realizing you'd like to be let in on the process or possibly have an opinion about it.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I would probably tell him that it's an urgent matter, and to respond quickly. Tell him to absolutely give you a decision on whether or not you should be his roommate immediately.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
from my experience with one istj in particular...he may just not think it necessary to discuss all the details with you...it's possibly already decided in his head that you guys are doing it and he just plans on telling you after he's figured it all out...not realizing you'd like to be let in on the process or possibly have an opinion about it.

Yeah, exactly what I had originally thought! Buuuutttt then come to find out, he was going to live with the Brit and then drop it on me that "Oh sorry Rach, I have a new roommate." At least, that's what I think he was implying when he said, "uhh... here's the thing about that... the Brit actually needs a roommate too..." (not ever really answering me directly)

So, now I don't feel like I can safely assume that he has thought of me at all!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
sure...i see that. i wouldn't either...so...yeah...just tell him...you have no idea what his plans are but you need to make a decision before tomorrow and would prefer to live with him because you guys already know each other but you have to be able to count on it if you decline the other offer...so he needs to let you know for sure tonight.

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
sure...i see that. i wouldn't either...so...yeah...just tell him...you have no idea what his plans are but you need to make a decision before tomorrow and would prefer to live with him because you guys already know each other but you have to be able to count on it if you decline the other offer...so he needs to let you know for sure tonight.

:yes:

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
No romance.

Can you be certain, that he also thinks like that? ISTJs can be terribly bad when it comes to knowing these kinds of things.

And, probably he can't buy the house without a roommate. His back-up plan was to look for an apartment, which would be fine... but with or without me? Since he rarely includes me in his plans, I can never know if he has considered me or not.

Why is it exactly that he should include you into his plans?

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
At least, that's what I think he was implying when he said, "uhh... here's the thing about that... the Brit actually needs a roommate too..." (not ever really answering me directly!
What was this in response to? You need to clarify what he meant by it. If that were coming from me, it would more than likely mean that the Brit AND you were living with me. But that's just me. You need to confront him about this ASAP.

I also agree with Habba. Are you SURE there is no romantic interest on his end? :huh: