• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What book should every S read?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I disagree with ISTJ and Harry Potter books. Although I do think Introverts prefer them, but doubtful about the STJ preference.
Just to clarify: In the post where I mentioned those books, I mentioned that they were listed by friends I have of that type who like them. I only know one ISTJ, and, honestly, she'll read whatever fantasy book you put in front of her. So, in no way was I implying that all ISTJs like those two books. It was anecdotal evidence.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I do get psychologies magazine every month.

I enjoy reading new age and self help books as i like to see someones views on a subject of interest from a different perspective.

I do read some fictional books from time to time but i moreso than not like to read something where i can benefit from it.

:yes:

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm more of fairytale story books fan. Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Lord of The Ring, stuff like that.

Trope

MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w6
I loved reading the Lives of Christopher Chant and all of Diana Wynne Jone's stuff also.

*prefers kids books*
but you know there are some good *adult* ones. Like.. Is Terry Pratchett's work adult?

I dunno. Maybe it's like Shrek in a way.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Just to clarify: In the post where I mentioned those books, I mentioned that they were listed by friends I have of that type who like them. I only know one ISTJ, and, honestly, she'll read whatever fantasy book you put in front of her. So, in no way was I implying that all ISTJs like those two books. It was anecdotal evidence.

Ah ok, gotcha.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Public Enemies by Bryan Burrough for STJs.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Besides what my English classes have made me read, the only books that I read voluntarily are reference books. A lot of them are psychology books or otherwise books that have something to do with science. In my opinion, any books that are not reference books are largely pointless (I guess they can entertain if that counts, but you might as well just see a movie or play a game if you want to be amused).

If I had to list my favorite books though, I think I'd probably have The Selfish Gene and the Art of War at the top.

As for recommendations, I think Sensors would like like Malcom Gladwell's works for the information they contain. Although I can certainly see Intuitives enjoying them as well.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I had to list my favorite books though, I think I'd probably have The Selfish Gene and the Art of War at the top.
The Art of War = GREAT for STs. Up there with Machiavelli :D

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i think John Steinbeck is a good one for S's.
Cannery Row seems like a great S book, maybe SP? it's short too, go read it people!

The Stranger, by Albert Camus. the main character is an ISTP. i think it would appeal to S's, but it also gives some insight into ISTPs.

To Kill A Mockingbird, maybe?

and maybe Hunter S. Thompson?

i liked the suggestions of The Call of The Wild, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and The Catcher in the Rye.

ST:
Notes from Underground by Fyodor Doevstoevsky

that books really grates me, i have a love hate relationship with it. i love the writing and hate the character.

Sidewinder

MBTI Type
ISFP
What would be a post-modernist anti-novel, exactly? Haven't heard of those. (I once read a story about a man in a box where a lot of the "action" was imaginary dreaming of possibilities, would that count?)

I was thinking of something like what Italo Calvino or John Barth write. Anything that's all about intertexuality or authorial intentions, or anything but telling a good story with good characters. Errr .... I know it when I read it. Maybe a helpful NF English major could explain better? ;)

But postmodernism is a term that's applied pretty liberally, and there are subgenres like magical realism and historical metafiction ("Ragtime", "Mason & Dixon") that I do like and that I can see other SPs liking as well.

I think if I ever use terms like "intertexuality" again, I'm going to get my SP license revoked, so I better stop here. :D

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Another thought: My ISFP friend LOVES "A Clockwork Orange". And I enjoy "Iron and Silk", most Neil Gaiman books, and "Macbeth". "Twelfth Night" is great too - I love Shakespeare's puns!

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I was just about to mention To Kill a Mockingbird. I love fiction that shows the charm of every day life and reality. I also love Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. I'm another fan of children's books. Most books by Eleanor Estes make me happy.

I love books that are visually stimulating. I can spend hours with an I Spy book. I like photography books in general. I guess these don't really count as "reading" books, but oh well.

Like saslou, when I do read, it's often self-help books.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you for making this thread, Colors! I've been looking for books to read, esp fiction.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
"Twelfth Night" is great too - I love Shakespeare's puns!

I haven't read (or enjoyed) a lot of Shakespeare, but "Twelfth Night" is definitely my favorite of the ones I've read. It's sprightly, and I think the wacky humor is still somewhat grounded by the characters (and their motivations/feelings). I do wonder about the ending though (I mean there are going to be some *awkward* family dinners in the future), but I guess that sort of tidy ending is to be expected. (Except for poor Antonio. And perhaps Malvolio.)

The Stranger, by Albert Camus. the main character is an ISTP. i think it would appeal to S's, but it also gives some insight into ISTPs.

What about Meursault did you relate to/ consider relating to ISTPs?

(I read this in an English class, and I admit I really didn't get "it".)

I like books where most of the action is ACTION, and not just emotional tumult in the heads of the characters.

Yes! I think emotional tumult can be important action, but it also needs to tie into cause and effect in a meaningful way. I especially hate it when emotional tumult substitutes logical action or plot development... or when emotional state (of an individual) becomes actual physical presence. (Jane Eyre, Frankenstein -yeah, I'm not an English Romanticism fan-, Heart of Darkness come to mind.) If an emotion is so important, it should *show* in how people act- I don't want to hear about people feeling oppressive dread all the time.

I was thinking of something like what Italo Calvino or John Barth write. Anything that's all about intertexuality or authorial intentions, or anything but telling a good story with good characters. Errr .... I know it when I read it. Maybe a helpful NF English major could explain better? ;)

But postmodernism is a term that's applied pretty liberally, and there are subgenres like magical realism and historical metafiction ("Ragtime", "Mason & Dixon") that I do like and that I can see other SPs liking as well.

I think if I ever use terms like "intertexuality" again, I'm going to get my SP license revoked, so I better stop here. :D

Thanks for clarifying... I think... ;) (Reading the amazon descriptions of those books makes it hard to imagine anyone liking reading something like that except for the strange/different appeal. But different strokes for different folks.) I like magical realism, but all the ones I've read seem to end tragically. :doh: I like happy endings, or at the very least, proactive ones.

Last edited: