User Tag List

First 123 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    if you read about his life, you'll see he wasn't really an E. He didn't really seem to enjoy the public life, he did it more of a sense of duty for his countrymen, and retired back to his own estates when it became feasible to do so.

I think a Te/Fi combo (rather than Fe/Ti, which is what an ESFJ would have as two of the functions) is much more apparent in his behavior as well.

he was also selected as a candidate for the first president because he had a positive reputation, was solid, and stable -- a rather low-key, respectable person the average citizen could look up to. Not exactly the typical positive qualities of an ESFJ leader, but definitely traits of a socially-well-adjusted ISTJ.

Yes, it is very common to see a well-balanced ISTJ public figure perceived as respectable (though not extraordinary), reserved and yet at the same time accessible person that the common man could relate to. Those could be a very powerful political force as they also likely have stored a great deal of world-wisdom in their Si.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Discussion on Lincoln and other presidents here:

An Interview with David Kiersey - INTP Central

MBTI
    enfp

Default Historic document supports A. Lincoln: ISTP

I have been reading about Lincoln's life from the original sources. According to his law office partner, Hon. Wm. H. Herndon, of Springfield, Ill., he demonstrated many of the characteristics of an ISTP. The following website attests to his tendency toward introversion, practicality, and rationalism.

Six Historic Americans: Abraham Lincoln
    Herndon stated:
    "In the first place, Mr. Lincoln's mind was a purely logical mind; secondly, Mr. Lincoln was a purely practical man. He had no fancy or imagination, and not much emotion. He was a realist as opposed to an idealist. As a general rule, it is true that a purely logical mind has not much hope, if it ever has faith in the unseen and unknown. Mr. Lincoln had not much hope and no faith in things that lie outside of the domain of demonstration; he was so constituted, so organized, that he could believe nothing unless his senses or logic could reach it. I have often read to him a law point, a decision, or something I fancied. He could not understand it until he took the book out of my hand, and read the thing for himself He was terribly, vexatiously skeptical. He could scarcely understand anything, unless he had time and place fixed in his mind."

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Sergeant York - ISTP
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm somehow surprized that nobody has come onto a thread with this title yet and typed "the only good Sensors!"

(and yes- I'd be insulted by that)

MBTI
    ENTP

Actually, I really suspect _SFP for lincoln. In his Journals display a use of introverted feeling, and his favorite activity (even when president) was hanging out with friends and telling dirty jokes. I think it also explains his falling out with General Mclellen. Lincoln never knew military strategy, and Mclellen never really bothered to teach him any, he just was a pompous jerk, and ignored Lincoln's very practical concern: "The confederate troops are north of Washington! Why are you still retreating after every battle?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Actually, I really suspect _SFP for lincoln. In his Journals display a use of introverted feeling, and his favorite activity (even when president) was hanging out with friends and telling dirty jokes. I think it also explains his falling out with General Mclellen. Lincoln never knew military strategy, and Mclellen never really bothered to teach him any, he just was a pompous jerk, and ignored Lincoln's very practical concern: "The confederate troops are north of Washington! Why are you still retreating after every battle?"
    Nope, he's definitely an NT. An xSFP under that amount of stress would switch to shadow mode and become an immature NTJ. Naturally, he'd appear as an ESFJ if he were in fact an INTP as I suspect.
    Ti > Ne > Ni > Si > Fi > Se > Te > Fe

MBTI
    ESFJ

I keep seeing William McKinley and Bill Clinton as ESFJs. I guess Clinton was one of those ESFJs who used his charm for bad.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I keep seeing William McKinley and Bill Clinton as ESFJs. I guess Clinton was one of those ESFJs who used his charm for bad.
    I'm going to have to keep an eye on your kind
    Ti > Ne > Ni > Si > Fi > Se > Te > Fe

Quote Originally Posted by music_educe View Post
    I have been reading about Lincoln's life from the original sources. According to his law office partner, Hon. Wm. H. Herndon, of Springfield, Ill., he demonstrated many of the characteristics of an ISTP. The following website attests to his tendency toward introversion, practicality, and rationalism.

Six Historic Americans: Abraham Lincoln
    Herndon stated:
    "In the first place, Mr. Lincoln's mind was a purely logical mind; secondly, Mr. Lincoln was a purely practical man. He had no fancy or imagination, and not much emotion. He was a realist as opposed to an idealist. As a general rule, it is true that a purely logical mind has not much hope, if it ever has faith in the unseen and unknown. Mr. Lincoln had not much hope and no faith in things that lie outside of the domain of demonstration; he was so constituted, so organized, that he could believe nothing unless his senses or logic could reach it. I have often read to him a law point, a decision, or something I fancied. He could not understand it until he took the book out of my hand, and read the thing for himself He was terribly, vexatiously skeptical. He could scarcely understand anything, unless he had time and place fixed in his mind."

That description reads more ISTJ to me, or a rather organized ISTP. Though that one in particular seems to come from someone who admired him specifically for his skepticsm. Still, I'm not sure if we aren't seeing a projection of John Remsburg in his own description of Lincoln.

Also, I believe George Washington is a notable ESFJ--known for his brilliant logistical talents.

Oh, I guess that ground has been covered. ISTJ?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield