• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs, what kind of jobs do you like to do?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
ISTJs, I mean what would you like to do at your job? What do they involve? (Not asking what job do you have currently.)

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
NOT sitting at a desk for 8+ hours! Something that forces me to use my street smarts (common sense + schooling), rather than book smarts (schooling only).

jazzyidahovandal

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I hate work that is redundant and boring. It makes me laugh that some sites say one of the ideal jobs for an ISTJ is accounting. Boring!!!! I like to do a variety of tasks. For instance, I would love to do writing, editing, and some graphic design.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Logical problem solving, independent and task-oriented. You give me logical problems, I solve them. That's the way I want to work. And that's how I work.

I hate jobs that:

- Require me to constantly interact with strangers (=customers)
- Do not require me to think
- Are mostly physical labor.
- I have to do with people who don't care about their work. Job is far more than just a way to get money. It's about 1/3 of your life, so you should like it!

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I like a job that requires a lot of logical structuring and requires an understanding of a system behind numbers. For instance, the one aspect of my job at a retail store that I love the most is when a customer comes in with a complicated transaction that calls on my ability to make a step by step plan to accomplish what they need.

I had a lady come in last night that wanted to return something for a store credit, buy something new, then purchase a gift card while using the remainder of her store credit for the gift card. So, I had to get her first return voided, re-ring an exchange, purchase her new items, then figure out how much to add on to the remainder of her gift card with the store credit to end up with the amount on it she wanted. That to me was fun. I love those complicated transactions because it really calls on Si and Te, but sometimes Ne.

I'm somewhat of a stereotypical ISTJ. I'm finding out more and more how much I enjoy working with systems and numbers. It's so clear cut, impersonal and systematic. I think I'm going to enjoy working in accounting, but I'd sortof rather be working in the finance field somewhere. From my experience working at my current job, I think I'd really enjoy working at a bank in a job that was like 75% technical oriented and 25% customer service.

BlueSky

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I think I'd very much enjoy working in the field of robotics. I'd get to exercise my logic skills and a develop a bit in the field of systems thinking. I don't believe it'd really be a job so much as a challenge, and as such, completely irresistible.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I really don't know. :doh: I'm searching for this. It's also why I'm wondering whether "doing what you love" is going to ever be important to me, so long as I don't "do what I hate." Right now, an inspection job or a desk-paperwork job sounds more interesting to me than police, military, or accounting work. Maybe teaching, but dealing with students would be really tough.

Last edited:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Thanks for the responses so far, guys. Much better than all the other SJ threads on this topic. :dry:

Anyway, to answer my own question, I would say that I prefer work to be interesting and not interactive with people. Also, I want to do something that I am talented at. That's important to me. Generally, I'm perfectly fine with a desk job as long as I'm not constantly learning new things. But of course if I do the same thing repeatedly, that's a major negative because of boredom.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
So how about, for an ISTJ, a fireman or working with animals.

I ask because i have just received my sons school report and it isn't looking good. In most subjects he is either average or below average for his age. Not liking drawing attention to himself, if he is stuck, he wont ask for help. In the UK (and our shitty, make things as easy as possible for the kids policies) my son will be doing his exams over the next 2 years, so if he messes up then he can do a retake and hopefully improve, but the school has chosen subjects (ICT and business studies) which he has no interest in. My kid wanted land and environmental studies but was told it would be to hard for him.

Would the above career moves be good for his personality type?
Thanks. ;)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I know an ISTJ that works as a wood-sculpturer and alpine guide. He's really really good.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
So how about, for an ISTJ, a fireman or working with animals.

I ask because i have just received my sons school report and it isn't looking good. In most subjects he is either average or below average for his age. Not liking drawing attention to himself, if he is stuck, he wont ask for help. In the UK (and our shitty, make things as easy as possible for the kids policies) my son will be doing his exams over the next 2 years, so if he messes up then he can do a retake and hopefully improve, but the school has chosen subjects (ICT and business studies) which he has no interest in. My kid wanted land and environmental studies but was told it would be to hard for him.

Would the above career moves be good for his personality type?
Thanks. ;)

I love land and environmental studies! :D But... I am not so good with numbers.... :( It is a major flaw with me I wish I never had it... However, I am good with "hands on" things...

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I love land and environmental studies! :D But... I am not so good with numbers.... :( It is a major flaw with me I wish I never had it... However, I am good with "hands on" things...

Math is my son's weakest subject. I suppose he is 'hands on' when it comes to cooking and holding the 360 controller ;). He is a protector though so i suppose it would make sense to go into a career where he can help.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I would like jobs that I am in charge of organizing a team to complete a task. Enforcing law would also be thoroughly enjoyable. Organizing a law enforcement team would be pretty cool. I also like to work by myself because I trust myself to do a good job.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Math is my son's weakest subject. I suppose he is 'hands on' when it comes to cooking and holding the 360 controller ;). He is a protector though so i suppose it would make sense to go into a career where he can help.

Is he ISTJ? He should use what he's good at to find a career.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Is he ISTJ? He should use what he's good at to find a career.

Oh yeah. He's 14 .. its a funny age. He is good at computer games and being so damn laid back, he does perservere with it. He knows what he likes and knows what he doesn't yet he doesn't come across like he has an opinion sometimes when at other times, you know exactly what he means. He loves animals to the point he wants to adopt all of them in our area as they must be mistreated as being left to fend for themselves outside alone.*tut*. I am going try and steamroll it so he can get his work experience at the RSPCA so he has some insight. Lol. We'll see what happens.
Thanks. :)

dirtdirt

MBTI Type
ISTj
Enneagram
5w6
I'm the same way. Thats why I decided to work in an ecology center at a boy scout camp. Other than having to deal with 2,100 scouts over the course of 6 weeks its pretty fun, even though I get overwhelmed sometimes by the amount of people.