• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ's and alcohol

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
It's a depressant. Consuming ethanol always seemed like a no-brainer bad idea to me. It's slow acting poison in my book, as is any other chemical with such adverse effects on my nervous system.

I will admit that the poison, taken in controlled levels, does have some benign effects and thus, in some cases, a valid medical use. However, outside of this limited niche, the negative effects of alcohol outweigh any positive effects. I personally choose to abstain from consumption of the substance.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would only drink it very rarely, and taste matters.

Yeah, I noticed it is popular, so naturally I wondered why. After a few tastes here and there, I gathered that it's not because of the taste of ethanol. If the taste is ever a reason to drink, it's in spite of the ethanol, not because of it. (Same thing with the coffee-caffeine connection, in my mind.)

So it's not the taste, it's the drug and its effects that people like. Alcohol is known for letting you loosen up. In my mind, this means losing control of yourself and your own actions, it means not being able to run things through your mind before you do them to decide whether they'd be good ideas. Loss of that kind of judgment and of being in charge of my own decisions is something I do not want. (Same thing with riding rollercoasters. I feel like I have no control over what happens to myself.)

It means that alcohol is great if you like loosening up, but it isn't if you don't.

jazzyidahovandal

MBTI Type
ISTJ
In college, I had my fair share of drinks. I've grown out of that stage and I don't mind having a drink here and there. Too much alcohol makes me sick. Plus, my dad is an alcoholic and I do not want to end up like him. He uses alcohol to help with his problems.

Alcohol hasn't really loosened me up. I talk more when I'm around friends, and when I'm around people I don't know well, I still don't say much. Weird how that works.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I haven't ever been drunk, and I don't plan on it. I like being in control of my own actions.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
It tastes nasty, so why bother to consume it? :huh: ...Just a waste of money. :yes:

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I drink socially with my friends. It's not something that happens very often, and I've never been wasted/drunk before. It can take some time to enjoy the flavor of it (or find something you like), but I find that I really enjoy wine, some kinds of beer, and margaritas definitely top off a delicious meal of Mexican food.

My personal view is that if you take a responsible approach and have it in moderation, there is nothing wrong with it. Sometimes having a drink is just nice :)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I used to be a very heavy drinker. Not every day, but I'd hit the bar or drink a bottle of wine once or twice a week, and I'd get shitfaced a couple of times a month. I will go to the bar where I know the DJ tonight, and have 3-5 beers and dance. I really enjoy some alcoholic beverages, though. Red wine, good beer, the occasional fine bourbon or Scotch.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I shall answer this on behalf of my SJ relatives...

ESTJ: Very big social drinker. Goes out to bars frequently and mixes drinks at home occasionally. But I don't think he ever drinks alone. At one bar he has his own drink named after him. (I've had it, it's evil, it burns going down, and will make you soo... trashed.) Although he mostly drinks rum and coke. Eventually he wants to open his own tavern but so far hasn't been able to get a loan.

ESTJ: Not a big drinker. He strongly preferred bourbon. Was a believer in moderation but liked to watch his kids get drunk because he thought it was funny. :dont:

ISTJ: Angry, scary alcoholic who drank vodka like it was water. He often hid and lied about his drinking problem even though it was very apparent. Fortunately he's been sober for a year and says that quitting has drastically improved the quality of his life. He says that he doesn't see the point in drinking anymore and does seem a lot happier. Not surprisingly his dad was the ESTJ who liked to watch his kids get drunk. :doh:

WickedQueen

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Well, I'm not allowed to drink alcohol according to my religious perspective. But if I was allowed, maybe I'll try it, but I won't make myself drunk.

Unique

I don't see why you wouldn't

Never quite understood the argument "it does more harm than good"

What's the harm in having a few drinks with friends? Its positive effects shine through and the absolute worst thing that could happen is a hangover in the morning (though if you drink water and eat appropriately that will be less likely)

Also don't understand the argument "I like to be in control"

It took over 14 drinks for me to loose complete control aka 'shitfaced' or 'no memorys night'

So unless you plan to drink a bucket load this argument doesn't make sense either

Religious or moral reasons make way more sense to me

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Never quite understood the argument "it does more harm than good"

What's the harm in having a few drinks with friends? Its positive effects shine through and the absolute worst thing that could happen is a hangover in the morning (though if you drink water and eat appropriately that will be less likely)

It's harmful to the liver and the brain. That's pretty much a given. (not that I don't drink for this reason, but I understand people who decide not to)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I've drank one drink twice and then another time I went out with my brother and he got me wasted. I didn't like having to rely on another person to take care of me at that point. I have no use for alcohol. My ESFP brother, however, won't hesitate to drink a crapload.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just read this thread title and cringed.

I've known a few SJs to use alcohol as a lame excuse to throw all their convictions and whathaveyou to the wind.. and just be hypocritical, emotional/physical messes of human beings. Everyone walks on eggshells when they crack open a beer/pop a cork on a bottle of wine. I mean, even the ESFPs get nervous.

I've also known a few others to be highly responsible, and stated that they really aren't into drinking.. and they stick to it.. have maybe one or 2 Mike's Hard Lemonades, and sort of babysit everyone else.

I imagine this carries over to all the types, actually. Either you like to drink, and know when to say when, and when it's no longer fun for you and/or company, or.. you're an unpleasant mess in denial of all the crap you hold back sober.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
I've only ever had a little bit. I don't really see the point. It has no effect whatsoever on my social life. Besides that, I don't really want to spend the money on it.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, I have no problem getting my drink on, on occasion.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also don't understand the argument "I like to be in control"

It took over 14 drinks for me to loose complete control aka 'shitfaced' or 'no memorys night'

So unless you plan to drink a bucket load this argument doesn't make sense either
What I was thinking was these two cases:

1. You drink a lot, in which case you don't know what you're doing anymore.
2. You only drink a little, in which case you wouldn't get to loosen up as you would in number 1. So what's left to enjoy about number 2? Just the taste of the drink, and the company of friends. You can have the taste and the friends without ethanol itself. Therefore, the ethanol is pointless in number 2.