• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTJs/ESTJs Is there anyone who actually sees your true feelings?

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't agree with throwing someone's mistakes in their face. All of us dislike that and feel defensive right away. On the other hand, I do think that if you love someone and see something they are doing that is destructive either to themselves or their relationships with others, it takes a lot more love and courage to bring it up than to let it go and leave the other person to learn the hard way or not learn at all. I would wish for someone to care enough to do that for me in return.

An example of this might be an over-enthusiastic hockey parent who is putting enormous amounts of pressure on their child which is damaging the relationship. If their spouse (gently) attempts to make the STJ person aware of what effect their behaviour is having, is it likely to be resented (don't make me feel like a bad person because I know I'm not!) and ignored, or considered?

You also were saying you need an example of a situation where the STJ needs to show more vulnerability than being in the role of being needed to give help or advice. An example might be if someone brings up the fact that something the STJ said that day hurt them because... Would the STJ be able to step out of the role of telling the other person what to do and see it as a problem to be solved together (this is more vulnerable, than giving advice because it implies action needed on both people's parts and therefore discussion and some kind of resolution, which may or may result in having your own way)? Or would it boil down to the STJ deciding that one or the other will need to just deal with it in some way on their own (either get over it for the one person because the STJ knows it's not a valid worry or the STJ resolves to change their behaviour - w/o further discussion)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't quite see what you're getting at here (or in the related posts that follow) :
Yes! I think that in failing to diagnose the real problem, many STJs dismiss it as being the other person's problem (or an imagined problem) and resent them for making the STJ feel bad. Would it help if the other person tried to figure out the underlying problem and present that first instead of registering the "petty" problem at all?

But if it has something to do with this:
fidelia said:
I don't agree with throwing someone's mistakes in their face. All of us dislike that and feel defensive right away.
and this:
fidelia said:
On the other hand, I do think that if you love someone and see something they are doing that is destructive either to themselves or their relationships with others, it takes a lot more love and courage to bring it up than to let it go...
it seems to be going all over the place. The way you talk about it, it could be anything.

It sounds like something that would vary widely depending upon circumstances, mood, and a lot of situation-specific factors.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
From my experience, STJs are finer in an emotional situation where they still get to be the ones in charge. When it comes to working out a compromise/discussion because something they are doing is either misinterpreted or it is a problem in the relationship, I find all discussion is skipped and they again remain in charge by deciding (without input) what course of action to take.

I'm wondering if it has to be this way or not. It seems to be consistent among the three that I know well and I'm checking if that's true across the board or only in my experience. Is there any hope for a type that is quite different to successfully make a marriage work well together. STJs have many great qualities that are complimentary to other types, but the communication issue always seems to trip things up.

I've found and observed with others that bringing any sources of conflict up for discussion usually results in the STJ feeling attacked or else they are very dismissive, and they register very little of what they think about the whole thing. This does not work well if a solution is going to be found.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
From my experience, STJs are finer in an emotional situation where they still get to be the ones in charge. When it comes to working out a compromise/discussion because something they are doing is either misinterpreted or it is a problem in the relationship, I find all discussion is skipped and they again remain in charge by deciding (without input) what course of action to take.

I'm wondering if it has to be this way or not. It seems to be consistent among the three that I know well and I'm checking if that's true across the board or only in my experience. Is there any hope for a type that is quite different to successfully make a marriage work well together. STJs have many great qualities that are complimentary to other types, but the communication issue always seems to trip things up.

I've found and observed with others that bringing any sources of conflict up for discussion usually results in the STJ feeling attacked or else they are very dismissive, and they register very little of what they think about the whole thing. This does not work well if a solution is going to be found.

In emotional situations, I just try to find a way out unless I think I might be scolded for being detached, and then I try to find a way to stay in, and see if there's something I could do to foster a healthy reputation while remaining detached. It's mostly because emotional situations just come off to me as a lack of focus and control, and nothing can be taken seriously anymore. That's why I try to leave until it's back under control. I just immediately look down on someone that's letting their emotions get the best of them. ><

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
fidelia

I think what you spoken about above is more geared towards ESTJ rather than ISTJ. I've never noticed that ISTJ reacts like that. (If you're calm and collected and can logically explain the reasons why they hurt your feelings - they can take that.) Only ESTJ in my experiences have trouble taking responsibility and apologizing...regardless how you approach them.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
fidelia

I think what you spoken about above is more geared towards ESTJ rather than ISTJ. I've never noticed that ISTJ reacts like that. (If you're calm and collected and can logically explain the reasons why they hurt your feelings - they can take that.) Only ESTJ in my experiences have trouble taking responsibility and apologizing...regardless how you approach them.
+1

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Perhaps that's the case. I'm only going on the experiences I've had with my ISTJ dad, which is a pretty small sample group. Thanks.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It sounds like something that would vary widely depending upon circumstances, mood, and a lot of situation-specific factors.
I actually agree. For the past page or so, there's been a lot of miscommunication, because I wasn't sure, either, what fidelia was specifically referring to.

I don't agree with throwing someone's mistakes in their face. All of us dislike that and feel defensive right away. On the other hand, I do think that if you love someone and see something they are doing that is destructive either to themselves or their relationships with others, it takes a lot more love and courage to bring it up than to let it go and leave the other person to learn the hard way or not learn at all. I would wish for someone to care enough to do that for me in return.

An example of this might be an over-enthusiastic hockey parent who is putting enormous amounts of pressure on their child which is damaging the relationship. If their spouse (gently) attempts to make the STJ person aware of what effect their behaviour is having, is it likely to be resented (don't make me feel like a bad person because I know I'm not!) and ignored, or considered?
What's interesting here is that it's very possible that I would see both of the actions in the first paragraph as being the same thing. Either way, I would feel hurt and attacked.
And I still stick to what I said about blaming people for my emotional reactions (i.e. that I don't really do it). I mean, on the one hand, yes, their actions did cause me to be angry, but is that a good excuse for me to have yelled at them? The yelling was entirely my doing, and if I was better at handling my emotions, I could have held it in. That was what I was talking about there. (Hopefully it makes sense, and hopefully I'm not BSing unintentionally.)
The bolded thing isn't really how I react. I react (in my head) a little more like: "You've insulted me! You've hurt my feelings! How DARE you!" ...not that there's a huge difference there or anything.
You also were saying you need an example of a situation where the STJ needs to show more vulnerability than being in the role of being needed to give help or advice. An example might be if someone brings up the fact that something the STJ said that day hurt them because... Would the STJ be able to step out of the role of telling the other person what to do and see it as a problem to be solved together (this is more vulnerable, than giving advice because it implies action needed on both people's parts and therefore discussion and some kind of resolution, which may or may result in having your own way)? Or would it boil down to the STJ deciding that one or the other will need to just deal with it in some way on their own (either get over it for the one person because the STJ knows it's not a valid worry or the STJ resolves to change their behaviour - w/o further discussion)
I think that I'd be able to problem-solve in that situation. (And if I didn't - which is definitely possible - I would revisit the topic later, in the hopes of solving my problem.) I might make some excuses for my actions, but I would apologize. After that, I might hunt down someone I trust and ask them what I can do to fix that sort of behavior.
Deep down, STJs want to be honorable people, so if someone confronts them about less-than-honorable behavior, hopefully their embarrassment/irritation won't take precedent.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'd say the ESTJ has a lot more trouble with introspection of their emotions than ISTJ does.

I'll have to agree with this. The reason for this is mainly because of the introversion of ISTJ vs. extroversion of ESTJ, and also because of tertiary Fi as opposed to inferior Fi. Where I have incredible difficulty with Fe, I don't have much trouble with Fi, and looking inward.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll have to agree with this. The reason for this is mainly because of the introversion of ISTJ vs. extroversion of ESTJ, and also because of tertiary Fi as opposed to inferior Fi. Where I have incredible difficulty with Fe, I don't have much trouble with Fi, and looking inward.

I call this the heebie jee"fi"es or heebie jee"fe"es :D

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My mom and and my best friend know me pretty well, but I keep secrets from them too. This is mostly because I don't feel the need to tell people about all my problems.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
My mom and and my best friend know me pretty well, but I keep secrets from them too. This is mostly because I don't feel the need to tell people about all my problems.

+1

I'll admit, most of you all on here know more about my personal life than my family and friends do! :shock:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
^-- I think that's probably true for most ISTJ's. I don't think I've ever talked about my personal problems with someone I know in real life. I only do so on the internet with people I don't know.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Do you feel like it's helpful to have anonymous people to talk to about that sort of thing, or is it more as a way to educate them better?

Is the lack of talking about how you feel have more to do with how you effectively process things, or is it a fear of vulnerability/people's reaction to what you say?

How is the internet different for you from talking to people in real life?

/DG/

Do you feel like it's helpful to have anonymous people to talk to about that sort of thing, or is it more as a way to educate them better?
At times it can be helpful to talk about that sort of thing, but I'm not really good at putting my feelings into words... or even my thoughts into words.

Is the lack of talking about how you feel have more to do with how you effectively process things, or is it a fear of vulnerability/people's reaction to what you say?
I'd say a little bit of both goes into this. For me, at least. I find that I have a great time explaining things in my mind, but I'm not so great at it when putting my thoughts into words. Thus, it is harder for me to describe my thoughts and feelings towards others, so I mostly try to work out things in my head. However, this can lead to me getting very stressed out. For me, I also agree with the second part of the question because I have low self-esteem and low confidence.

When I come to someone on the internet with a problem and a story to tell, that is their first impression of me. With people in real life, their first impression of me is not my problem. I find this hard to explain, but it's just easier somehow. Perhaps someone who knows what I'm talking about could explain it better...

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
For me, it's that you don't have to actually SAY anything to anyone, and that you don't have to see their reaction. When I write something online about how I feel, I can detach myself from it emotionally. It's like the person you're talking to doesn't exist, because you can't see them. So, it's like writing in a diary. I have no trouble with THAT.
EDIT: It's also that no one on the internet knows who I am. :)

/DG/

For me, it's that you don't have to actually SAY anything to anyone, and that you don't have to see their reaction. When I write something online about how I feel, I can detach myself from it emotionally. It's like the person you're talking to doesn't exist, because you can't see them. So, it's like writing in a diary. I have no trouble with THAT.
EDIT: It's also that no one on the internet knows who I am. :)

This too. :p

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I can be more articulate about my thoughts and feelings online. People in real life get a fraction of the true effect of what I'm feeling. It's because I have the time and freedom to elaborate more effectively. I always feel like I'm just trying to get words out fast in real life and people are itching to get away from the conversation.