• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] Spotting an ISFJ in the Wild

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Any ideas? I know sometimes they get mistaken for INFJs. How would you describe the difference and where do they tend to hang out? I'm not sure if I know any or not...

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
According to my isfj friend quite a few of them were on her garden landscaping course, and a couple others were working with her on the hampton court flower show, so maybe something to do with nature and working with your hands?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
If you want to differentiate ISFJs from INFJs, look at Si vs. Ni.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
If you want to differentiate ISFJs from INFJs, look at Si vs. Ni.
+1

INFJ and ISFJ are going to be two of the most distant types that are only different by "one letter" because of their different dominant functions. Finding and Si or Ni should be rather simple.

You can also take the approach of looking for traditional SJ/NF traits. Since the two types are from two different temperaments, they should be pretty distinct.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
See, I would have thought that, but I have seen many debate whether Wilson on House is an ISFJ or an INFJ as well as people that don't seem sure which one their friends are. Not being sure if I have ever actually met any, I wondered what one would be like. I don't know many SJs with an F in there, either introverted or extroverted. I wanted if the SF part of things would make the concreteness of the S a little more subtle.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
If you're looking for them in the wild, you're barking up the wrong tree. They're not wild, they're mild.

You'll probably find them at home, diligently doing household chores or something. If you believe the stereotypes.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think I might know one. Nice, some affinity, but needs salt.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Are ESFJs just a more extoverted version of same? What would they be doing?

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm INFJ, my boyfriend is ISFJ. We are VERY different. That one letter makes a huge difference.

He is much tidier and more organized than I am. He loves things that bore me to tears like sports (you name the sport, he has a favorite team). He does a lot of outdoorsy stuff like fishing and camping. I'd prefer a nice hotel. He was a star athlete in high school; I was the salutatorian.

He is the one that makes sure everything looks just right. He sprays weed killer on the weeds that grow in the cracks in the sidewalk. I'd never even noticed the weeds until I saw him spraying them. He'll set out candles for dinner, make sure music is on when I visit -- things like that that I do appreciate, but wouldn't think to do myself...and sometimes have to make an effort to notice.

I read voraciously; he only skims the newspaper. I post on here; he's never heard of MBTI and wouldn't have any interest if he had. He is far more conservative than I am in almost every respect - politically, religiously, and sexually -- though he's had far more partners.

In some ways he seems far more introverted than I am. He is comfortable sitting together silently and doesn't really talk unless he feels he has something important to say....but he has far more acquaintances than I do. I have lost touch with far more people than I can count; not only does he seems to keep in contact with everyone he's ever known, the all seem to be drawn to him. Part of this may be that he is far more observant than I am. He can spot someone he knows in a crowd and recognizes people he's not seen in years.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know one who's an incredible paralegal.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Thank you Popsicle. That was very helpful. I knew there should be many differences but wondered why people would mix up the two.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
i dont spot them so much.... i listen for what I call the "softie but firmie ISFJ voice". Its in their verbage, and if they dress conservatively....... yep, ISFJ.

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I seem to spot them all the time. The secretaries where I work are all ISFJ or ESFJ.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Why would anyone mix the two types up? They are definitely completely different. They're the women that come to the office and want to reiterate conversations with people over the weekend word for word, discuss the diet they are on, and so on then?

What about more conservative hairdressers? (Not the crazy SP ones with the wildly streaked hair) Would they be ESFJs?

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The ones I know talk about recipes and decorating a lot. They like to entertain and their homes are usually beautifully decorated. They do a lot of crafts...scrapbooking is big with them. They are usually very well put together. Their outfits are well thought out and accessorized.

They are very, very nice people. I just don't have a lot in common with them. I think they tend to look at me with pity at times.

Usehername

On a mission
This is a terrible stereotype, but...

ISFJs are, like, every second mom. They're everywhere.

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
They are very, very nice people. I just don't have a lot in common with them. I think they tend to look at me with pity at times.

I was talking about female ISFJs, but now that I think of it, my ISFJ boyfriend and I don't have a lot in common either. However, he is truly one of the nicest people I know...truly the kindest and most patient man I've met. And he does tend to give me *that* look at times, too.

But it does work. :wubbie:

Last edited:

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
29fyu76.jpg

I am sorry, I saw the title and just had to do it :D

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
LOL

funny cuz its true - people who make these "how to spot" threads/posts are borderline stalkers IMO