• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Does Your Work/Home Personality Differ

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Many years ago, when I was battling with my best fit type, I started a thread based on this article. If NFPs are most affected, then how does it affect SJs and particularly STJs?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Good article. Funny thing is I don't really change my S, T, or J at work but I do become even more introverted. Of course that could have something to do with the fact that I'm more comfortable with the people at my home than those at work. But yeah, the STJ stays the same in me because that's beneficial to the work place. Of course it depends on the type of work you do too. My work at the moment requires a lot of Te.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ummm...probably use more fe at work.
confused2hw.gif

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Same person, just use various skills or have more personal impact on the decision making processes.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Well I thought about this a bit since I first clicked this thread, originally I was like "OMG yes, yes I so do this, I must use more J or something" lol but if I think about it more, I use my Te in a very noticable way when I work, it's not J that gives me the organisation necessary to complete my tasks, it's Te.

When I was working, I was very organised and efficient, I re-ordered many things for maximum efficiency and changed a few set ways of doing things because they didn't produce good results or work aswell.

Infact I did this so well in one job that my position was no longer necessary since I was a support staff for a secretary, who thanks to my new systems didn't need the support anymore. :doh: So they sent me elsewhere, but my feelings got hurt so I told them to stuff it. :cheese:

I do all of this though, at the same time as still being the friendly zany clown that is my current type. :D

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Often it is said that SJs are very serious on the job, but that they can turn it off at home, as if by a "switch." That didn't seem to make sense to me at all, but when those times came up in real life, I looked at them and realized I do have a serious mode and a more relaxed mode (but not really the opposite of serious). So I think they were right.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I very much try to be an ESFJ at work....stress on 'try' :blush:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm very consistent. I'm too impatient to try and vary myself for whatever reason. I'm not prone to sugar coating things or playing headgames, I detest both actually. :yes:

I am what I am, wherever I may be.

Love/Hate me in one environment, and all others shall be the same!

;)

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I don't think it's so much that my type changes, as it is that I'm forced to adhere to systems of thought that are uncomfortable for me. So - on the outside, sure - I probably appear at times to exhibit more "STJ" behaviors, because the management of my department is very... uncompromising that way. They're *all* about checklists, schedules, and taking what's at least nominally a creative (and somewhat unpredictable) endeavor (application development/enhancement) and reducing it to a series of spreadsheets, lengthy uber-detailed timelines, and sign-offs (and, in a frenzy of cover-management's-ass-at-all-costs antics, it's getting worse by the month). I have no choice - and I hate that part of it (it's probably not too much to say that I find it offensive in many cases).

The article that you referenced really does make a good point, I think - in that there's a significant correlation between how "unnatural" your work environment is for you and the amount of stress it generates. Over the last few years, when my environment's become less permissive of individual methods, I've definitely noticed it. I'm sleeping poorly, am more likely to stay awake at night dwelling on how much work issues anger me, going over likely confrontations with my boss in my mind, etc. Almost all of this centers not around the quality of product I produce or the happiness of our clients... it's all red-tape sort of stuff. The stress, quite frankly, is turning me into a person that I don't much like (not talking type here - just that I'm much more moody and negative than I used to be, when it comes to work).

G

garbage

I do this more, especially when talking with my ISTJ boss. I'm very decisive around my ENTP brethren. I'm the one who considers the human element when it's forgotten.

Basically, I am whoever I'm needed to be, usually in the balancing or contrasting role to everyone else.

I still thrive on multitasking and creativity, and I'm still pretty laid-back, so my "core essence" doesn't seem to change between work and home.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Unfortunately I'm still very much INTP while working, but with fleeting moments of INTJness. That's where I get 97% of my work done.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a little bit more Te heavy at work- but Te is comfortable for me, anyway.
Luckily my job fits my personality for the most part, so I don't have to act very different from how I am. There are moments that I have to be a little more F than I'd like to be since i'm working closely with sick and dying people and i'm prone to walk in, do the tasks, and leave- but I need to make myself more soft and sensitive than I would naturally be.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
When I'm at work, I focus on the task and generally "switch off" to everything else around me, including people.

Whilst my co-workers hang around and chat for the last ten minutes, my eyes are peeled on the clock.

I'm more distant at work, I think.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Don't all the SJs go home after work and build cabinets in the garage with their power tools.....replace some light bulbs in the kitchen........oil the hinges on the squeaky door.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm in customer service, so at work I'm much more eNFP than iNFP. I actually like my job right now, I'm in a grocery store in a small town, so it's fairly easy to get along with my co-workers and customers. I remember when I lived in a bigger city I probably acted more like an ESTJ at work - being an INFP in a horrendously populated and self-absorbed place like Vegas made me miserable. At home I'm much more laid back, more introverted, and more distinctly NF. My work life has never had much to do with "who I really am" except for maybe sometimes when I was dancer. However, I find that in some college classes, or while working on papers, I feel like I'm much more in my natural element.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Many years ago, when I was battling with my best fit type, I started a thread based on this article. If NFPs are most affected, then how does it affect SJs and particularly STJs?

I just become more of a stereotypical ESTJ. Everywhere except work, I tend to be cheery and joking. At work, I'm all business.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Well I thought about this a bit since I first clicked this thread, originally I was like "OMG yes, yes I so do this, I must use more J or something" lol but if I think about it more, I use my Te in a very noticable way when I work, it's not J that gives me the organisation necessary to complete my tasks, it's Te.
Okay, sorry but since no one has chose to point this out, I guess I will. The Te cognitive function is J.....

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Okay, sorry but since no one wants to correct you I guess I will. The Te cognitive function is your J-ness.....

:blush: Thanks. Lol

*and a light switches on somewhere

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am required to do more smiling and disciplining at work when teaching. I have to be more extroverted and assertive than is natural to me. I'm not 100% sure which functions that relates to, but probably Fe when dealing with children. When I was in school I needed much more Te.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I become a bit more of an ESTJ at work. I suppose from a slight acting experience, I've learned how to act more assertive/aggressive. I'm not naturally inclined towards an E, but I know how to pretend I have it if I need to.