• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Does Your Work/Home Personality Differ

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Depends on the job. If I have to work around strangers a lot, or with customers, Yes.

If it's army work, Slightly just because ENFPness is just not always accepted or to standard within the military ranks.

If it's the same people all the time, construction work, etc.. Not really.

simpleamazement

MBTI Type
istj
Enneagram
Yes, I'm a lot more conservative at work.

Outside of work, I joke around more, am less serious, more expressive, friendly, and carefree.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I sometimes act like an ESTJ at work. It's exhausting. :wacko:

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I sometimes act like an ESTJ at work. It's exhausting. :wacko:

I think taking on functions of another type is very common at work, and it's also very exhausting and why people get burned out. At work, I play an INTJ when managing; an ENFJ when training and greeting clients; then relax into my INFP self when helping someone who just needs to know that someone understands them. When I leave work, I go anywhere people are not.

I NEVER go out with co-workers because I'm simply not the same person when I'm away from the office.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Actually, I'm more ISTJ at work, especially J. At home, I'm not as serious, more lazy and laid back. I plan things, structure and organize them. I'm still fairly introverted at home and in non-work situations but don't have the J qualities.

jazzyidahovandal

MBTI Type
ISTJ
At work, I'm pretty serious. I am focused on work for the most part. At home, I'm a slacker. No doubt about it.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
I very much try to be an ESFJ at work....stress on 'try' :blush:

^:rolli:

I have two personalities:

1) Serious (I take work VERY seriously, on the job)
2. Not-So-Serious (but not COMPLETELY animated) off the job

I don't mind screwing around though on the job as long as the task at hand is getting done efficiently and on time.

School sucks and I do consider it my "job" but for some reason, I mess around an awful lot and I despise studying. BUT I NEVER hand anything in late or get "bad" grades! :D:D

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I am much more goofy at home than at work. I'm way more dry at work, less rigid, and nicer.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am more serious at work than home, but i was playing a game there and need to impress the right people to get the good bonus.
Although i would never brown nose anyone, if the boss asked for my help, i'd drop what i am doing to help them.
When the authoritive figures were not around, then it was time to have fun. Be it using industrial tape to tape someone to a chair or get someone in a crazy sexual position, just the usual.
I worked in a room with more mature staff, although they could have a good time as well. I would buy sugar do-nuts before work just because i knew they would start bouncing off the walls at 9am and make the day more interesting. I only manipulated the situation in a good way.

All work and no play ;)

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Often it is said that SJs are very serious on the job, but that they can turn it off at home, as if by a "switch." That didn't seem to make sense to me at all, but when those times came up in real life, I looked at them and realized I do have a serious mode and a more relaxed mode (but not really the opposite of serious). So I think they were right.

I do that, Cimarron. A lot. Perhaps in terms of the switching part, yes, but not necessarily "serious" to "goofy".

Actually, I have a name for it. I call it my "mask". I work in customer service, (Produce Clerk now, by the way. Day I turned 18 my manager promoted me. No more bagging.)

Anyway, my mask involves.....well, acting like one of those friendly Extroverted people. This mask of mine provides the illusion of friendliness and extroversion. That's the only part of my job that requires a "mask". I am comfortable with the rest of the aspects required, such as servitude, preparation (of food, etc), moving fast and getting things done, etc.

Here's where the switch comes in. When I clock out and hop in my car, I almost instantly feel the impact of all the energy loss. Physical energy loss (to a minor degree), just from working, but....my actual energy that makes me feel alive, (sounds epic, but I don't know how to word it differently.) is almost gone.

I suppose this is just my introversion kicking in. I tend to shift like this, from extreme to extreme. I'm most comfortable and most energized when I can be alone for an extended period of time (minimum of six hours or so, to a day or two.) However, being at work (or anywhere else) drains me. I wish it wasn't like that, but I can't help it. (On the same token, however, I *like* it that way. Odd?)

So, I return home and go to my "cave". (My bedroom. How it acquired that nickname is related to my high introversion, but it's a story for another thread.) Back in the cave, I usually sit and read, play RPGs, write, work on something, or listen to music. Most of my time at home is spent alone, except when Mom insists that I come downstairs.

(She is also an ISTJ, but is less introverted than me. She needs alone time, just like I do, but not nearly as much. I think the amount that I need she considers to be excessive, and hence why sometimes we disagree. But 99% of the time I am in excellent standing with Mom.)

Now that I've totally derailed your perfectly good thread, I suppose an apology is in order. I'll quickly sum up what I should have put in here by itself:

At work = Most of my ISTJ qualities are present, but the "I" is hidden with a very large, bright, friendly "E" mask.

At home = All of my ISTJ qualities are present, and I'm more likely to be openly sarcastic, pessimistic, and withdrawn. (By openly withdrawn, I mean it's clear that I want to be alone. At work this is invisible.)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quite different
I'm more outgoing at work