• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTJ] Ask an ESTJ!

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Have you ever done any outdoorsy activities? Have you done them as part of a volunteer program? How do you think that relates to introverted sensing?

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Have you ever done anything off-kilter, or unexpected?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you get pleasure at times when you see others in pain or when you cause others pain?
Very rarely. And I usually feel guilty afterwards.

How do you view emotional people?
It really depends. At best, I find them to be a cathartic and healing presence in my life. At worst, I find them infuriatingly stubborn and illogical.

Do you see yourself as emotional?
More so than I would like to be. I tend to get too invested in things, so I get upset when they get messed up, or when they don't go the way I wanted them to go.

Do you ever fake positive emotions, because you have noticed it gets better results?
Do you resent that fact?

Yes, and yes.

Are you very neat and organized?
I'm more obsessive than I am neat, to be honest. You would expect someone as obsessive as I am to be more neat and tidy. But my default tends to be "organized mess". I know where everything is, but it's in piles, everywhere.

Have you ever done any outdoorsy activities?
Oh yeah. I love the outdoors.

90% of my outdoorsy activity time comes from running -- I like running outside much more than running inside, and while there aren't that many trails near me, I have loved it every time I've gone trail running.

I don't have a car and therefore don't have easy access to nature, but when I have friends to drive me / accompany me, I love hiking, camping, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing. This weekend I went cabin camping (is that what you call it?), hiking, and alpine scrambling, on a notoriously difficult hike, and it was amazing.

Have you done them as part of a volunteer program?
I keep telling myself I'll do more outdoor volunteering (e.g. planting trees), because I've really enjoyed it in the past. But part of the problem is that I would rather do that sort of thing with friends.

How do you think that relates to introverted sensing?
I actually see it as the antidote to introverted sensing. Being outside, doing physical things, etc, makes me more mindful, and gets me out of my head. I imagine that Se-users feel similarly, but then again I don't have a good understanding of what Se means other than being "in the zone" with regard to real-world senses/experiences.

Have you ever done anything off-kilter, or unexpected?
Maybe off-kilter or unexpected in the eyes of others. But I see most of what I do (with some embarrassing exceptions) as being consistent with who I am, and what I value.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
why do you think what you think?
simple question complex answer.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you like movies about gladiators?
Meh. :shrug: It depends.

I tend to gravitate towards movies about detectives, police, and non-gladiator historical warrior types like Shaolin monks and samurai. Action movies are my go-to fluff genre, for when I need a pick-me-up.

why do you think what you think?
simple question complex answer.
Brain chemistry? Heredity (nature + nurture)? The "spirit", if there is such a thing?

andresimon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Very rarely. And I usually feel guilty afterwards.

It really depends. At best, I find them to be a cathartic and healing presence in my life. At worst, I find them infuriatingly stubborn and illogical.

More so than I would like to be. I tend to get too invested in things, so I get upset when they get messed up, or when they don't go the way I wanted them to go.

Yes, and yes.

I'm more obsessive than I am neat, to be honest. You would expect someone as obsessive as I am to be more neat and tidy. But my default tends to be "organized mess". I know where everything is, but it's in piles, everywhere.

Oh yeah. I love the outdoors.

90% of my outdoorsy activity time comes from running -- I like running outside much more than running inside, and while there aren't that many trails near me, I have loved it every time I've gone trail running.

I don't have a car and therefore don't have easy access to nature, but when I have friends to drive me / accompany me, I love hiking, camping, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing. This weekend I went cabin camping (is that what you call it?), hiking, and alpine scrambling, on a notoriously difficult hike, and it was amazing.

I keep telling myself I'll do more outdoor volunteering (e.g. planting trees), because I've really enjoyed it in the past. But part of the problem is that I would rather do that sort of thing with friends.

I actually see it as the antidote to introverted sensing. Being outside, doing physical things, etc, makes me more mindful, and gets me out of my head. I imagine that Se-users feel similarly, but then again I don't have a good understanding of what Se means other than being "in the zone" with regard to real-world senses/experiences.

Maybe off-kilter or unexpected in the eyes of others. But I see most of what I do (with some embarrassing exceptions) as being consistent with who I am, and what I value.

Do you like Bill O'riely? Do either one of your parents like Bill O'riely?
What is your deepest fear?
Do you see yourself as a know it all?
Do you sometimes act like a know it all?
Are you good at doing your taxes?
Do you garden?
Do you follow a routine or are your days more random?
Do you find it difficult to express AUTHENTIC positive emotions?
How about the reverse do you find it difficult to be negative, not so much the act of holding it back but if you didn't hold it back would it be hard?
Are you more negative then you are positive? Do you view this as rational?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you like Bill O'riely? Do either one of your parents like Bill O'riely?
Gross. No, and no.

What is your deepest fear?
Not sure. Probably being useless.

Do you see yourself as a know it all?
Do you sometimes act like a know it all?
I don't see myself as a know-it-all, but I have definitely noticed myself acting like one before. And I think other people see me as one.

Are you good at doing your taxes?
I've only done them twice so far, and I'm way too lazy to go into a lot of detail with them. But I guess I'm good at using TurboTax?

Do you garden?
I have some houseplants that are healthy, and that I try to take good care of. But I have not done well when I've attempted outdoor gardening.

Do you follow a routine or are your days more random?
Neither, to be honest. I don't love routine, because I don't love to be bored. But I am 100% a planner. I am constantly planning. I'm the stereotypical J that schedules their spontaneity.

Do you find it difficult to express AUTHENTIC positive emotions?
That's a really interesting question. I think I do have trouble with that. Not because I have the feelings there and can't let them out, but because society requires more positivity than I actually feel. Especially when it comes to interacting with others.

I'm a very enthusiastic person, but I think I can fake that enthusiasm sometimes, in attempt to "fake it til you make it". To make yourself excited by acting excited. And it works very well.
How about the reverse do you find it difficult to be negative, not so much the act of holding it back but if you didn't hold it back would it be hard?
It depends on the negative emotion. Any that show vulnerability, or that would make others uncomfortable, I'd have a hard time with after I let them out.
Are you more negative then you are positive? Do you view this as rational?
Also a tough one. I'll answer on several fronts:
1) My instinct is to be confident, which is a form of optimism.
2) I'm not a negative person -- in fact, I try to stay away from excessively negative people.
3) My answer to "are you an optimist or a pessimist" is usually "I'm a realist"
4) I try to keep my expectations as low as I can, to counterbalance my e1 perfectionism. That's been the only way I've been able to happily go through life, without becoming an embittered idealist. On an existential level, my views are very negative, e.g. humanity is not capable of positive change, we will always be both good and evil, and anything we create will reflect that.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
first of all i don't think you're useless so don't let the following make you think that.

if you were useless, would it make you feel better to know that there a ton of useless people in the world being kept alive (ie brain dead vegetables)? how would you take that?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
first of all i don't think you're useless so don't let the following make you think that.

if you were useless, would it make you feel better to know that there a ton of useless people in the world being kept alive (ie brain dead vegetables)? how would you take that?
I place enough of a dividing line between myself and others, that that would not make me feel better at all.

Do you have this new avatar because you lost a bet? :D
I changed my avatar for the same reason that several other mods did. ;)