• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ's and tradition.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Regarding the OP:
What sort of institutions do you value, and how would you describe your reasons for valuing them? Can you think of any situation that would cause you to reevaluate your loyalty to a given tradition or institution that is generally accepted? How was your internal standard of what is right formed over time? Do you feel that you know where it came from, or does it just seem to have existed within you all along?

Also, can you describe in some detail what you would probably do during a typical day at work/school without describing a particular day?
I think the bolded question is at the core of this.

I haven't thought through why yet, but I don't "feel" that it's existed in me all along. I "feel" that, if I tried, I could trace it back to a source. Or probably several sources.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
You actually sound far more unconventional in your views than I do. Let me supply my own answers to my questions.

I value the more secular institutions, and I do so because this ensures community cohesiveness and contributes positively towards all of the individuals served by the institution.

Yes. If it no longer served it's original purpose adequately, and/or no longer benefited the individuals in it whom I valued, I would change my approach.

It was formed from careful study of the issues involved from several sources, and seeing what sort of agreements existed in those sources. Eventually I was just able to see inconsistencies with my idea of what is correct. My awareness of spelling, grammar, and syntax is one example. It was partially innate, as things seem to "hit" me in a certain way as being potentially reasonable or unreasonable. But I prefer to research and explain why something isn't reasonable.

Yes. I'll describe my typical behavior last year as an example. I would set my alarm for 7:00am, and hit the snooze button about three or four times until it was between 7:30 or 7:45. First I would take a shower lasting between 50-70 minutes, and get dressed, being careful to remember to put on my I.D. badge. Then I would go to the refrigerator, and get a breakfast sandwich from the freezer, folding it in a paper towel and cooking it for 3 minutes and 15 seconds. While cooking it, I would take a package of peanut butter crackers and place it in my backpack. I would then go to the stereo and play the same CD I played every morning, skipping to track 2. I would then sit and wait for my mother to show up, and she usually appeared between 8:42 and 8:46, and I became anxious if she appeared before or after those times. Then I would take my backpack, and go to school.

Note that I only behave like this when I have outside commitments, and I'm usually less predictable when I don't have a specific goal in mind. It's the schedule that makes me rigid, I become obsessed with time, procedure, and schedules when I have a specific place to be.

My assumption was that all J's had this tendency, and I wanted to see how SJ's differed from NJ's in their approach to traditions and institutions.
Well actually I have always considered your responses and posts to be more SJ-like and I think I remembered reading where Haight had similar thoughts. Nevertheless, if you believe that you're NF then okay, but to me you just either confirmed that you may be SJ or this should dismiss all of the stereotypes for you that at least in your case that a SJ behaves any differently than NFJ. What in your responses here, makes you believe that this is not typical SJ behavior?