• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Would this freak you out?

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
You know what. You never know. Keep an eye on her.
Let me tell you a story that ended badly. This kid I knew, he would always joke about these stuff with me. "haha, I'll kill myself if all fails". I didn't take him seriously. Afterwards he said he was really going to do it but he was giggling all the while. Just see if it keeps popping up.
Because in his case the joke was on me. He shot himself a year ago. He had been joking about this since we were 10 years old, he was 20 when he died.
:(

Oh. That's...horrible.

Well. Um. I don't know what to say. See, I love writing, and sometimes I write things with more bleak themes, but I think at the age of nine I never thought about that. My sister is nine, and I'd panic if she wrote that, but if I write something like that I figure it's fine; it's exploring a different thought process. But at a young age, writing is largely self-based. Becoming a mature writer is learning how to write outside oneself. At nine, that either means she's exaggerating something she's heard vaguely about, or exploring a deeper side of herself. It's certainly worrying to consider, but...let me tell you. I've written happy things, sad things, etc. And some of the sad things would terrify my parents, simply because they'd misunderstand--I'm going for the theme behind the action, not the action itself. Now granted, I'm 17, and that's a big gap from 9, but I guess...ha. Depends on the child. I'm at a loss what to say here. :(

Anyway, just...keep communication open, keep close. That's the important thing. If she does feel this way, the issue shouldn't be that she's writing about it--that's healthy. It just means you might want to make sure this feeling isn't what's ruling her life.

Again I doubt she's suffering from those thoughts, but still. I don't know. I...really don't know.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Sounds like it's time for a talk. Maybe they don't really understand the concept of death. What's more remarkable is how well written it is. Age 9 in Earth years right?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
You know what. You never know. Keep an eye on her.
Let me tell you a story that ended badly. This kid I knew, he would always joke about these stuff with me. "haha, I'll kill myself if all fails". I didn't take him seriously. Afterwards he said he was really going to do it but he was giggling all the while. Just see if it keeps popping up.
Because in his case the joke was on me. He shot himself a year ago. He had been joking about this since we were 10 years old, he was 20 when he died.
:(

One should look out for patterns, and take things within a context. An isolated and a minor thing (i.e. creative writing) should be treated as such and not blown out of the proportions.

Ivy said that her daughter is aware that she is checking her emails. And by the daughter's writing she seems fairly intelligent for her age - at least intelligent enough to consciously put something inflammatory in the email to provoke a reaction from Ivy.

BTW, Ivy, you said you think your daughter is ENFP. Would you say there is a possibility she is ESFP? The reason I say that is because unhealthy SFP behavior often involves threats to hurt themselves as means of blackmail to get what they want. See: Survival Games Personalities Play

Ivy, would you consider yourself an emotional person and generally overprotective of your child? And did you recently deny your daughter something that she wanted badly? If so, those two things can provoke a child into saying (or writing) what she did.

Like I said, put it into context and look for patterns. Freaking out doesn't do anybody any good. If anything, it might encourage negative behavior in your daughter.

But then again, it could something as minor as her being "creative" with her writing.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
One should look out for patterns, and take things within a context. An isolated and a minor thing (i.e. creative writing) should be treated as such and not blown out of the proportions.

Ivy said that her daughter is aware that she is checking her emails. And by the daughter's writing she seems fairly intelligent for her age - at least intelligent enough to consciously put something inflammatory in the email to provoke a reaction from Ivy.

BTW, Ivy, you said you think your daughter is ENFP. Would you say there is a possibility she is ESFP? The reason I say that is because unhealthy SFP behavior often involves threats to hurt themselves as means of blackmail to get what they want. See: Survival Games Personalities Play

Ivy, would you consider yourself an emotional person and generally overprotective of your child? And did you recently deny your daughter something that she wanted badly? If so, those two things can provoke a child into saying (or writing) what she did.

Like I said, put it into context and look for patterns. Freaking out doesn't do anybody any good. If anything, it might encourage negative behavior in your daughter.

But then again, it could something as minor as her being "creative" with her writing.

I did consider this- but I don't think it's the case. She has some drama-queenish tendencies that I'm sure play into my protectiveness, but this would be way out of scale for her to do as a means of manipulation. And we haven't denied her anything lately that I can think of. I can't really see her as an ESFP either, she's very much a low-key kid and not a risk-taker at all.

I actually decided to bring it up sort of casually a couple of days ago, just to see if I could gauge where her head was at with it. She said (and this may have been a "oh shit, better think of something fast" but I don't think so) that she was worried about her cousin when he asked her to help him write a story about suicide and wanted to tell me about it but didn't want him to get mad at her for tattling, so she sent it to herself to make sure I would get it because she knew I would tell his mom (which I did). So I think I can cross "have freakout about suicide" off my to-do list for today.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Wow, Ivy - you did a great job of raising that little girl. I'm impressed with you both.