• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESFJ] ESFJ gone wrong

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
There is an ESFJ I have recently met,and I've never met a more emotionally unstable person in my life. She is a creature purely of instinct, following her heart wherever it may take her, whenever it may be. Allow me to demonstrate the case in point:

This particular ESFJ has a long history of cheating in relationships. I can only deduce that she attempts to fill the gaps in her idealized man with every subsequent male partner. Her recent targets have been the, "nice guys," (perhaps "F" males), which are the only types I believe can tolerate her. Once she knows they accept her for who she is, she irrationally directs all her negative energy at that person. It seems randomly, the unprovoked argumentation she incites vaporizes into thin air and she becomes the world's cutest, most harmonized individual. She believes all people are innately stupid until proven otherwise, that children are the wretch of the world, and that the world owes her some due respect regardless of all said negativity.

Tell me ESFJs, is this normal for your type? I imagine not. But I'd like to hear your input anyways.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My sister is an ESFJ and if it wasn't for all the N influence around her, she would succumb to the same things no doubt.

With my sister I have the feeling that N influence, that they respect, is important to keep them on track. An ESFJ can never truely be self sufficient.

(I base this entirely on my sister, by the way. We've often had to hammer in morals and values to her. :p)

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
My sister is an ESFJ and if it wasn't for all the N influence around her, she would succumb to the same things no doubt.

Is there difficulty in dialogue when the subject matter pertains to her decision-making? When do you find she is most susceptible to listening?

An ESFJ can never truly be self sufficient.

Now this I can concur with regarding all the ESFJs I personally know. There always needs to be someone there, either as a guide or as a lost tourist. These roles are also interchangeable with the ESFJ himself/herself.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think that Fe-dom can't be self sufficient by definition.
Especially if they don't have rich inner world which usually comes with N.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there difficulty in dialogue when the subject matter pertains to her decision-making? When do you find she is most susceptible to listening?

Well, she grew up with heavy N influence so it just grew overtime and she learned to respect and accept our advice without any trouble. But during her puberty she had hit her head against the figurative pole a few times. :)

Mainly though, she's happy with who she is, while respecting the people around her. And although she is often a source of many jokes, we're also very leveled and down to earth to her when anything serious goes on and she knows she can counts on us for guidance when she needs it. :)

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
There is an ESFJ I have recently met,and I've never met a more emotionally unstable person in my life. She is a creature purely of instinct, following her heart wherever it may take her, whenever it may be. Allow me to demonstrate the case in point:

This particular ESFJ has a long history of cheating in relationships. I can only deduce that she attempts to fill the gaps in her idealized man with every subsequent male partner. Her recent targets have been the, "nice guys," (perhaps "F" males), which are the only types I believe can tolerate her. Once she knows they accept her for who she is, she irrationally directs all her negative energy at that person. It seems randomly, the unprovoked argumentation she incites vaporizes into thin air and she becomes the world's cutest, most harmonized individual. She believes all people are innately stupid until proven otherwise, that children are the wretch of the world, and that the world owes her some due respect regardless of all said negativity.

Tell me ESFJs, is this normal for your type? I imagine not. But I'd like to hear your input anyways.

Wooooo .. Now that is some extreme shit going on there. I admit i am currently emotionally unstable but i have just lost everything and still have moments of wow, what the fuck just happened there. I like harmony though and will try my hardest to get it, even if it means sticking my head in the sand. Most of the time i do go on instinct, what do you have to lose. I am able to rationalise my feelings though (some of the time). I would never cheat on anybody, i couldn't hurt another person. I am for the most part a positive person but i do find being around negative people or energy vampires can really bring me down. I know there are a lot of smart people in the world and i can benefit from them if i keep an open mind. Children are great, some have amazing souls. Respect, well you have to earn that one from the world and individuals.

With my sister I have the feeling that N influence, that they respect, is important to keep them on track. An ESFJ can never truely be self sufficient.

(I base this entirely on my sister, by the way. We've often had to hammer in morals and values to her. :p)

Now i did find that being around an NT did benefit me as although i do feelings, i can rationalise and he helped me with that.

Self sufficient .. Hmmm, maybe me being a parent at a young age grounded me. I enjoy being on my own. I don't ask for help although did recently. I made my bed so i have to lie in it. :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't dismiss the possibility of developping the ability of being independent as a causility of a conscious choice out of the feeling of neccesity.

But I do think it's not a natural typical ESFJ trait. :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did she actually test as an ESFJ? Of course any type can display extreme behaviors like that, but ESFJs are some of the most socially responsible people of all the types. As generalizations about types go, I think they feel more beholden to stay within the social boundaries agreed upon as fair by everyone.

I'm sorry to hear about it at any rate.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think they feel more beholden to stay within the social boundaries agreed upon as fair by everyone.

Ohhhh, i am not sure.I am going to say staying within social boundaries about 60-70% but pushing bloody hard to lower that number.

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Wooooo .. Now that is some extreme shit going on there. I admit i am currently emotionally unstable but i have just lost everything and still have moments of wow, what the fuck just happened there. I like harmony though and will try my hardest to get it, even if it means sticking my head in the sand. Most of the time i do go on instinct, what do you have to lose. I am able to rationalise my feelings though (some of the time). I would never cheat on anybody, i couldn't hurt another person. I am for the most part a positive person but i do find being around negative people or energy vampires can really bring me down. I know there are a lot of smart people in the world and i can benefit from them if i keep an open mind. Children are great, some have amazing souls. Respect, well you have to earn that one from the world and individuals.

Now this is what I'd like to think an ESFJ is truly like. Or a decent human being, for that matter. Good for you, saslou.

Did she actually test as an ESFJ? Of course any type can display extreme behaviors like that, but ESFJs are some of the most socially responsible people of all the types. As generalizations about types go, I think they feel more beholden to stay within the social boundaries agreed upon as fair by everyone.

She did test as an ESFJ, but she made it a very clear point she wanted to be unique. Perhaps her erratic, nonconformist behavior is testament to that? I remain unsure in that field.

I too, am sorry. I am mixed between genuine sorrow and "shake-your-head" pity. The situations she gets herself in are so easily remediable, but without tact and self-reflection she will forever be in this rut.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
She did test as an ESFJ, but she made it a very clear point she wanted to be unique. Perhaps her erratic, nonconformist behavior is testament to that? I remain unsure in that field.

I too, am sorry. I am mixed between genuine sorrow and "shake-your-head" pity. The situations she gets herself in are so easily remediable, but without tact and self-reflection she will forever be in this rut.

Lmao .. I have always considered myself as unique (but then aren't we all) i am now looking at the possibility of just being an odd ball .. erratic and nonconformist behaviour could maybe be misconstrued as boundless energy and the need to do something NOW.

How old is she just out of curiosity?

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1

That's exactly what I was going to say. It seems like really abnormal behavior for an ESFJ to me.

I have at times been determined to prove to the world that I'm unique, but that's diminished some as I've gotten older. I've realized that most people like to claim that they're unique. I personally got to the point where I just didn't see the need to "prove" myself and my uniqueness any longer. I am definitely unique in some ways and others can attest to that, but overall I won't be willing to stray too far from the social norm (particularly if it is offensive to others) or to compromise my values. I haven't known a lot of ESFJ's, but the ones I have known are very responsible and very aware of what is and is not appropriate for behavior and social situations.

The Grand Chameleon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
erratic and nonconformist behaviour could maybe be misconstrued as boundless energy and the need to do something NOW.

Oh, I apologize; I feel my thoughts have been conveyed improperly. It wasn't my intention to equate "erratic and nonconformist behavior" to being a testament to the ESFJ type. She had a powerful desire to stand out, which is why I feel she fell out of "standard" ESFJ behavior (or IMO, standard human behavior).

How old is she just out of curiosity?

Nearing the mid-twenties, I believe.

I have at times been determined to prove to the world that I'm unique, but that's diminished some as I've gotten older. I've realized that most people like to claim that they're unique. I personally got to the point where I just didn't see the need to "prove" myself and my uniqueness any longer. I am definitely unique in some ways and others can attest to that, but overall I won't be willing to stray too far from the social norm (particularly if it is offensive to others) or to compromise my values. I haven't known a lot of ESFJ's, but the ones I have known are very responsible and very aware of what is and is not appropriate for behavior and social situations.

You and saslou are painting a very nice picture of the ESFJ. It's been very insightful, and I'd like to express my genuine gratitude for helping me clear up the type confusion. It'd be safe to dub this one ESFJ female I know as a deviant, no? =)

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Please don't apologise .. :blush:

Maybe she just needs to get her act together. Then she'll become a more rounded individual regardless of what her type is.