• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] As children

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
But no, I never disobeyed my parents. Their word was solid decree, as far as I was concerned.

:yes: Good way to put it Cim. The thing is, when they ask me to do something (cut the lawn for example) then I will do it on my own schedule, but trust me, it WILL get done. When they tell me to do something, I do it "now" unless I see that their is some benefit (doesn't necessarily need to be mutual) to not doing it at all, or doing it "later".

I was in public school up until 4th grade and then went to a private Christian school. I never really had friends outside the classroom because they all lived so far away (the school was a good 40 minute drive). I did have one friend who bonded with me quite well and that's the ENFP. We would stay over at each-others houses and things like that and it was actually fun. We are still great friends to this day. In fact, he is pretty much my only friend! At 9th grade I was enrolled into a new "Catholic" school (I'm not catholic) because my cousin went to school there. I despised it! I rebelled constantly against the authority of the catholic church. I would not do "mass" and I had no idea how to pray in latin and do all that fancy stuff that they do. Sure, like all schools there were some that I really got along with and some that really pushed my buttons. :yes: So, I lasted about 3 weeks there, and then got hurled into the abyss of the chaotic public school system. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the independence they gave you (no uniforms for example :D) and the BEST thing (depending on how you look at it) was the lack of work they made you do. There was practically no homework :party2: (maybe an hours worth?) and that is compared to AT LEAST 6 hours/night at the Catholic school.

Socially, I kept to myself. Naturally, the kids that I left in 4th grade were completely different. The other thing is, I was really disgusted with the use of drugs and abuse of alcohol and I wanted no part of it. I also hated the lack of respect that I saw and the the laziness of other students, I mean, I wanted to help them but most were not open to asking for help, they just "didn't care". And the "I don't care" attitude was definitely among the most frustrating things for me to deal with. Why would you want to be friends with someone who "doesn't care"? So, I was mostly a "loner", meaning I had very few friends outside the classroom. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't silent, and I really did have some good laughs with "friends" in the classroom, but I did not usually converse with people unless they talked to me first or implicated me in one of their schemes or ideas- mostly regarding problems with another student or something like that. I guess I just played the "listener". I didn't make enemies, but I didn't really make friends either. I was never bullied, but I was definitely targeted by some bullies... I just didn't put up with their BS (I was big enough to defend myself). It was also very difficult for me to find a common interest with others.

(Sorry, I didn't realize how long this was! :peepwall:)

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I'd like to think my parents had it pretty easy with me.

When I lived in Florida my friends and I created our own "gymnastics club" and we put on shows and carnivals for our neighbors/parents. We made our own tee shirts, charged the parents money to see our shows, had food, games, and everything. Most of our performances used soundtracks from popular Disney movies. We were awesome!

Every Friday night my friends and I would go "frog hunting" where we collected as many frogs as possible and then we would release them into one neighbor's yard. The chosen neighbors were an Indian family that had a son around our age...one day their son had explained reincarnation to my friends and me, so we figured we were releasing the frogs to be with their ancestors or something...lol. We were so lame, and we were always afraid we would get caught!

There was a huge dirt pile/construction zone near my house. My friends and I would play "King of the Mountain" or would have adventures in our made-up world that we owned.

We also created inline roller-hockey teams (back when rollerblades were awesome), and we held weekly tournaments.

One day one of the parents took all the kids to Walmart, and we each bought our own huge bucket of chalk. We took it upon ourselves to decorate the entire street we lived on with our drawings.

We had a lake in our neighborhood, so I spent entire summers fishing with a branch, fishing line, and a hook. I remember that once I caught a fish through the eye, and I felt terrible, and I ran all the way home to get my dad so he could save the fish since I couldn't get the hook out. Of course, the fish was dead by the time I got back :(

Due to my mother's thick Brooklyn accent, up until I was like 12 years old, I was under the impression that "food shopping" was really said/pronounced as "food chopping." I always wondered why they called it "food chopping" because the meaning never made any sense to me. :confused:

I rescued a turtle from impending doom on the road, and it lived in our back yard. We named him Michaelangelo after the ninja turtle, and fed him cat food, but then one day Michaelangelo laid eggs, so we figured, he could no longer be a "he." The next day all "her" eggs were gone, so we figured she had eaten them. Eventually, we released her into the afore-mentioned lake.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I was a good kid, I think. The worse thing I did was burn down the yard when I was 12, and as a kid liked setting things on fire, things, like objects, not people or animals. and it was mostly pieces of paper, I got in trouble for that a lot.

I didn't have many friends but I had the same best friend from 3-11. I was quiet 1st through 3rd then 4th I became the class clown, and started making friends. I moved schools in 5th everyone thought I was weird.

So this one time in 5th grade PE this girl, who was a total bitch was like "bite me" (I don't know what invoked that response) so i did, she got me in trouble. But not because I bit her, but because I alledgedly called her the N word, which is fucking bullshit, I would never call anyone that, especially as an insult. Her dad was a police officer got shot and died, and everyone all of sudden sided with her (even though they sort of did with me before) ok yeah, I'm sorry her dad died, that sucks but she was a fucking bitch. Just because someone dies doesn't many you can change your opinion on what happen.

I was compliant basically I didn't care what I did, if I had someone to hang out with.

I also had a very active imagination I remember convincing myself I could fly when I was 5 when I was jumping off the stairs. I loved climbing trees, riding my bike, and just being outside

8-10
tried to run away a few times, but their were 4 streets I couldn't cross and for some reason if I did I thought I would die :doh:

When I was 2 my dad put on Dr.Who every sunday and I would just sit and stare at the tv while it was on, I've gotten back into it, and I have to say I had excellent taste as a baby

supposedly when I was an infant I would not eat, then one time at a mexican resteraunt my uncle fed me some salsa as a joke, and my mom was like "no no that's going to be too hot for her," I ended up eating the whole bowl.

When I was learning about the civil war and before I wanting to build a time machine and go back to then disguise myself as some of the slaves and take their place while they escaped.

I'm sure I have more, Oh yeah I use to watch the wizard oz everyday

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
prplchknz .. I am going to be blunt here .. Why are you so pissed about 5th grade PE ????

I am so glad i did this thread even if it is plagiarism and i love reading all the stories. Yours was pretty cool but you are PISSED about that incident? Just curious why?? I know you went into detail about her dad and stuff but its evidently clear you are still not happy.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i've already posted this picture on here but it's the only lil kid one i have on my computer....so...whatever. :)
P1060648-1.jpg

i was a happy lil silly in my own lil world girl...still am..haha

i saw things in a funny way and thought life was a fine funny show and enjoyed every bit of it. i was really affectionate and goofy. i was a daddy's girl and liked putting on lil plays with my sisters and playing with dolls for hours in my closet. my parents said everyone remarked on what a happy lil child i was.

until i turned into a teenager...then i was like yeah yeah...i know you guys (parents) know what you're talking about but i'm just going to have to learn from my own mistakes...so just leave me to it okay...thanks though. :)

edit: haha just to clarify i wasn't put in the closet or anything! ha! that sounded awful...i just liked my closet. it was big haha

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
prplchknz .. I am going to be blunt here .. Why are you so pissed about 5th grade PE ????

I am so glad i did this thread even if it is plagiarism and i love reading all the stories. Yours was pretty cool but you are PISSED about that incident? Just curious why?? I know you went into detail about her dad and stuff but its evidently clear you are still not happy.

because I got in a ton of trouble for something I didn't do. I would be so pissed if I got in trouble for biting her, because that would have made sense

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Lady X - Thanks. What an adorable pic.

because I got in a ton of trouble for something I didn't do. I would be so pissed if I got in trouble for biting her, because that would have made sense

Okidoky then ;)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
oh that was meant to say wouldn't of been pissed

oh and for some reason as a kid when I was playing outside I'd often wouldn't want to go inside to pee so I would just drop my pants and pee down the driveway (we lived on a busy street so anyone going by could see) actually I think I liked peeing outside more then on the toilet, because I'm sure I went outside just to pee.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Good thread first of all, saslou. Especially for the SJ forum.

When I was a kid, I was such a badly-behaved little kid haha. I was so energetic, almost literally bouncing off the walls. Plus I used to get upset and cry when things wouldn't go my way. And this wasn't at age 3 or 4, this was more like age 7 or 8. I was just worried about nothing except having a great time, although I was a little cautious about meeting new people. I generally would love to be with other people though, and was the most energetic one there while others seemed too fatigued or lazy to keep up with me. I couldn't sit still, I loved video games, and was destructive of toys haha. I loved doing group activities with others, and made them fun for myself. I used to get in trouble very often.

I was one of these kids: Portrait of an ESP Child

Things took a drastic change at around age 10. I suddenly started to get quiet, lost a ton of energy, people would ask me why I was so quiet all of a sudden. I suddenly got more worried and depressed, and didn't have as much fun. I became troubled with different obsessive phases, and certainly wasn't the happy kid I was before. And I've basically been this way since.

:sadbanana:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
^^^ Oh that is a shame.

*cough* plagiarism from NT forum *cough* .. at least i admit to it ;)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll sneak in here even though I'm an NF. :ninja: This is way too long.

My parents have been divorced my whole life. They didn't have a great marriage really, my dad stuck around because my mom was pregnant. They were together for 3 years, versus the few months my dad would have probably stuck around. My dad is an INTP (very well rounded), my mom an ENFJ (an extremely unhealthy one). I have no siblings. My whole life I've been trading households, 4 days with my dad, 3 with my mom (weekend). Anyways...

I'll post here what I was like as a kid, the paragraphs below outline how I got to where I am now. As a kid I was very idealistic. I thought things would go well all the time... But a lot of the time they didn't. As I think about my past I was very clearly an Fi child. I would seek to bond with my friends, we would share secrets, opinions, theories to further get to know them well. I was also very supportive of my friends, and I relied on my friends a LOT as I grew up (if you read the paragraphs below you'll understand). My friends growing up were- ENFP male, INTP male, INTP male, INTP male, INFP male, INFJ male. They gave me a lot of support, and I don't think that they even know how much I appreciate them being there.

I was very mild. I didn't feel any obligation to do anything stupid, no drugs or anything bad like that. My parents could fully trust me to be a good kid. I was picked on the entire time I was in middle school, none of my friends went to my school except for one of the INTPs. This added to my stress (see below). One day in 8th grade I took a stand, a kid messed with me and I beat the hell out of him and got suspended. The week after that someone tripped me in PE class and I tackled him against one of the concrete posts in the school and shook in and yelled at him until the teacher ran over and got me off of him (the things I would have done...). I never quite understood why I was bullied either.

As a kid I did a lot on web forums in my earliest teenage years. They weren't social boards though, they were boards where people got help with their lives. Specifically forums about suicide, depression, loneliness. I realized when I was a kid that perhaps I had a gift, since I stopped two of my internet friends from committing suicide over an instant messenger. That's when I signed up for those forums, since I wanted to do that for more people, and I did. I was 13 at the time. That sounds so NF typical. :tongue:

I didn't care much about rules. Neither did my N parents (my ESTJ step mom did though). I was just a good kid, my real parents didn't feel the need to establish rules because I didn't do anything stupid or lie to them.

I'm doing great now at 18, I'm still a mild guy, etc. I'm just much happier than I was those few years ago. I plan to be a counselor.

Now below is some history...

I lived in Atlanta GA until I was 8 years old, I have a few memories of being there. I lived in a low class neighborhood with my dad primarily, we had a really big yard with some woods (my dad always tried to get some woods for me and the cats wherever we were). I had one friend there, his name was Austin. I'm not really too sure of his type, I think he's an ENTP. We literally have known each other our entire lives, my dad and his dad were musician buddies (my dad has been a pro drummer for over 50 years, that's how he makes money). My dad said the first time we were put together we were both in diapers in a nursery type place where they were playing music. We were attached at the hip, I think I unconsciously knew that we "got" each other because we are both NPs. We would always find some way to have fun with our imaginations, or we'd just play some video games.

I moved from Atlanta when I was 8 to North Carolina, the Western part (where I am now). There were a few reasons behind it, but the main one was because my mom was apart of a cult (one of the grounds for divorce) and the cult moved up here. My dad dropped everything, his well paying job, his life, his new house that he had just fixed up and moved up here to be with me. He didn't want to leave me with my mom. He rationalized it though and said to me "well it would be best if you didn't grow up in this huge city anyway, who knows how you would have turned out if we would have stayed", but I know what the real intent was. :)

I was lucky in grow up in households with intuitive people though. So I shouldn't take that for granted.

We moved to a mountain town, our county as of 2001 only had 18000 people in it (Atlanta has 8 million people in the city alone). It was very quiet up here, me and my dad lived in a trailer in the mountains that was very cheap, and it sure felt like home for me. You couldn't see the road or anything, we were in the middle of a forest. We were in a valley, and we could hike up the side of it on our property. It was a great place. I was always outside wondering around in the woods, there were 2 caves there. My cat would always follow me around. :D

As for my mom, well, she moved once every year for some reason for whatever reason. Either the house was better, she could make profit from selling the one she was in now, etc. I think she's moved a total of 8 times the 10 years we've been up here.

I had a pretty stressful childhood I must say. Despite all of the good times I had with my dad, things had to go and change. My dad got remarried when I was 11 to an ESTJ, I'm guessing he wanted a huge change from my mom. My mom's cult was getting worse and worse to it's people, charging more, getting more stressful and more demanding. I had a lot to juggle mentally.

My dad's new wife was no good for me. We didn't understand each other at all, and she didn't understand anything I needed as a child totally different from her. With all of this, she decided that she was the more fit parent for me than my mom and my dad. How she came to this I have no idea, I was doing fine with my dad. To make a long story short, after living with her for 4 years with a bunch of useless rules, such as only 2 hours on the computer, totally ruined my social life, and I couldn't work on anything that I liked to work on which was writing, researching on the internet, etc. I basically didn't have anything without my computer, no where to escape to. She had huge ego issues, I would disprove her rules and point out how stupid they were and how they were effecting my life. She would just get furious and punish me. Thus I would get mad and frustrated. When I was living with my step mom I was depressed the entire time, for 4 years. After all of that we eventually started to argue badly, and one night I totally blew up on her. After that she thought I wanted to kill her, so I got sent to where I'm living now. I'm totally fine now with her out of my life.

Meanwhile all of that was happening, my mom's cult was taking it's toll on her money. I thought it was my duty to prevent my parents from doing anything stupid in their life. So I had to get my mom out of this in any way I could. Nothing I could do would budge her, she was being overly idealistic. None of our talks would help. So one day I decided to tell her that I didn't want to see her again until she left that cult. I was 14 then. This was starting to take the toll on my life and her life, I wasn't seeing her very much at all since she was primarily over at their center, she couldn't eat certain things for no reason, etc. After 9 months my mom finally quit and I returned with her. :doh: My mom can be such a moron.

EDIT: You wanted to see us as kids? Here's a pic of me when I was really young. I have no idea why I'm in the bucket. :laugh:

picture.php

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmm, lets see. First, the earliest indication of me being a J is that ever since I was VERY little I was constantly telling everyone, "When I grow up, I am going to..." :smile:

First, my mom is INTJ and my dad is INFP. My mom believes kids need intensive training early in life and by the time they are teens they can be more of friends, whereas my dad loves to spoil little kids and by the time we were teens he kind of panicked (unnecessarily, in my opinion) and tried to crack down on us because we were going to be "done" soon and needed to be ALL GROWN UP, which does not endear a person to the people they are cracking down on. A lot of quiet resentment/undertone arguments on both sides for a while from that.

Age 1 to 3: We lived in a village in a jungle. I ran around a lot outside and played with the other kids my age. The Indians were very indulgent with kids, including me, and I learned early how to ask for bananas in their language. I would go around asking for bananas and getting as dirty as possible until my mom either came to get me or someone else sent me back to the house. Not to imply that my mom wasn't watching me, just that everyone was pretty close and she could usually see me from the house.

3 to 5 - I decided that every day was completely new, i.e., rules lasted for one day only and then you could wake up the next morning and forget about the previous day's rules. I also decided that many things were worth getting a spanking for and just went ahead and did them. This is the period when my mom practically went crazy ;) I remember being a very calculating little kid and thinking a lot about the tradeoffs and cost vs. benefit of different activities. I was a busy little kid.

6 to 10 - I decided my mom was more stubborn than me so I might as well just do what she and dad said. I was a tomboy who liked lace (but couldn't take care of fancy stuff). I climbed trees a lot and tried to do EVERYTHING my older brother did, and do it better. We had a friend who could do amazing physical feats and I thought he was the coolest person ever. I had several close friends during those years, but moving at times kept cutting those short. I was a very talkative and opinionated kid and couldn't wait to be grown up.

10 to 13 - major, major life changes of all kinds in our family. I remember one day realizing that many adults who listened to all my chatter often weren't really interested in it. That was a rather stunning revelation and over the next couple years I became very quiet and more of a listener. I still am quiet unless I think someone is genuinely interested, in which case it turns out like this post - LOTS of words!

13 to 18 - I was a very good teenager and rarely disobeyed or talked back, largely because I decided my parents were usually right about things. I was quite lazy, though. I was full of ambitious plans of all kinds and have tried some of the more realistic ones. I tended to still obey my mom really easily, but my dad and I still had a hard relationshiop.

Now I'm early 20s and get along much better with my dad and still have fun with my mom. I usually find it quite easy to obey rules in work, home, on the road, etc., but when people start nitpicking or trying to assert dominance by controlling tiny details or when they do not allow any input/suggestions at all as to orders, then I can get very stubborn. I prefer things to make sense and be effective and not just do things "because." Fortunately most of the people I've had to work for/with have been open to suggestions and I try to be worthy of their respect too, so when I do have to disagree they will listen. I am an SJ but I guess not a stereotypical one in the sense of wanting to know why. I am unlike some other types though in that I believe working with the system often gives more freedom to "break the rules," for example becoming valuable at work and thus getting privileges and input into decisions because of being trusted. Maybe that is why a lot of SJs work so hard, I don't know.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, that's true, I did say exactly what was on my mind before I was about 10 years old. Very blunt, and of course I didn't see what the big deal was, I was just telling the truth, explaining what existed. This has changed by a large amount, and I'm hardly ever blunt these days.

My mom said "one day you're going to get in trouble for that mouth. You're going to say the wrong thing to the wrong person."

My parents always said to listen to them, and to listen to my teachers. So what happens when they say different things? When I was 7 or 8 years old, I showed my mom an assignment that I kept failing, and she said I didn't have to do it, because it was stupid. Then in class, next time the assignment came up, I said "My mom said I don't have to do that, because it's stupid." The teacher asked me whether my mom would think getting a zero on the assignment would be stupid. And I remember that the conflict of authority was disturbing to me. It was the first time it had ever been a problem. Whose word do I follow? How can she say that about my mom? So my mom had to sit down and explain to me about conflicts between adults. Until then, I had figured all adults agreed on authority matters, and about what people "should" do.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Oh Blackcat .. I am so sorry to hear your had a somewhat shite childhood. I am fortunate in that although my parents divorced when i was 5, i was unable to understand. I do remember them sitting us down (like it was yesterday) and telling us they are seperating. NEVER TELL YOUR YOUNG KIDS MOMMY AND DADDY ARE NOT GOING TO LIVE TOGETHER ANYMORE .. that's one way to fuck your kids head up. I think until you are able to grasp and understand why things happened in your childhood, stuff rears its head in adulthood that is somewhat directly linked to your childhood. I don't think i have articulated that to well, sorry.

Huh? I didn't plagiarize anything, that is all true of my childhood.

NO, silly. Lol.

You said it was a good thread. I said it was plagirism from the NT forum.

wrldisquiethere

MBTI Type
xSFJ
Enneagram
2w1
Hmmm, I was stubborn and definitely had my rascally moments, but overall I was a pretty good kid. I never got into bad trouble. If I knew I'd disappointed my parents, it was almost always enough to get me to reform. I was very devoted to family and enjoyed getting lots of attention. :p

One of my favorite things to do was to form clubs. Book clubs, celebrity fan clubs, whatever...I always wanted to start clubs with a mission and to be president. I also loved having parties at my house and being active outside.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Hmmm, I was stubborn and definitely had my rascally moments, but overall I was a pretty good kid. I never got into bad trouble. If I knew I'd disappointed my parents, it was almost always enough to get me to reform. I was very devoted to family and enjoyed getting lots of attention. :p

One of my favorite things to do was to form clubs. Book clubs, celebrity fan clubs, whatever...I always wanted to start clubs with a mission and to be president. I also loved having parties at my house and being active outside.

Awww. I think had my father played more of an active role in my life then i would of complied more. That was the man i wanted to please and him be proud of me for it. But it didn't happen, never mind.

I did once ask a school teacher for a math book to take home, this was whilst i was in Junior school and i went home that night and did 3 pages. I was so proud of myself and thought i had done a great job. Next day, i went in and showed her. She was pissed and i had done it wrong. I was not given any details, just that it was wrong. Well i didn't do that again.

I have been talking to my mum and found out that when i was around 18 months old, i decided i didn't want to wear nappies anymore. I took it off one night in bed, gave it to my mum and never wore another one again. If only all toddlers were like that.

Apparantly when i was 4 years old i was put to bed one night. My mum came to check on me in the morning and i wasn't in bed. She was screaming running around the house trying to find me. She then came to the conclusion that someone must of kidnapped me. By chance she was stripping my bedroom and saw a foot on the floor. I had in the night got out of bed and decided i would sleep under it instead.

That is so me. I don't do things by halves. :)

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I never got in serious trouble outside of home. I was more organized, more disciplined, goal-oriented, quiet, and private than my siblings.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I won't mention then the one and only time i went shoplifting with my friends (they were doing it every weekend) and i got caught and tried to bribe the police man with maltesers (i actually pay for them sweets). :blush:.

Oh my gosh, my poor mum.