• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] Well known ISTJ musicians

wolfy

awsm
I did read somewhere that Eddie Van Halen was ISTJ. Can't say myself though. I don't know that much about him.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
1206381516_94b91d2e0f.jpg

Most of them are in military marching bands. Cpl. Joshua E. Bregler is one of the greats.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eddie Van Halen is most definitely not ISTJ. Most likely ISFP. ISTJ's are much more traditional and not nearly as artistic or innovative as EVH.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
It's so funny because so many people don't think of the ISTJ as your classic musician. The reason being is that ISTJ's aren't really known for being very creative. However, SJ's are some of the best musicians that I know around. Why do I say this? Well, the reason being is that music is very detail oriented and ISTJ's are great with details. In addition, to be good at music, one must continually practice the same thing over and over again in a routine, and SJ's are great at this. Plus, if an ISTJ can develop their Fi they can be very creative with music as well. I don't think ISTJ's get enough credit when it comes to music. My father is an ISTJ and is an excellent musician.

T

The Iron Giant

I also was told Eddie Van Halen is ISTJ, and I have bought plenty of his music, but I don't know the guy well enough to confirm. Bruce Springsteen? Interesting... Yeah, I'd buy that.

My mother was a music teacher, and I've played lots of instruments, and I'm seriously into music. I also sing.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1206381516_94b91d2e0f.jpg

Most of them are in military marching bands. Cpl. Joshua E. Bregler is one of the greats.

Yeah I'd imagine that would be the case. I'd also imagine there's be a lot of ISTJ musicians in classical music. I can't yet find a single ISTJ in popular music.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bruce Springsteen and 50 Cent.

I hate to be such a downer but I'm also pretty sure 50 Cent isn't an ISTJ either. A risk taking, drug dealer turned entrepreneur and rap star would be a highly, highly unlikely career path for an ISTJ. He's pretty clearly an introvert. He seems Ni/Te (INTJ) to me.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I suspect a great many classical musicians are ISTJ or ISFJ. I was just at the piano teacher meeting where I work, and it struck me that they almost all felt like they had the same type, and it struck me as ISTJ - quiet, detailed, accurate, consistent, diligent, with a certain emotional distance in social interaction, but moments of deeply felt reactions when the artistry is perfect on every level.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's so funny because so many people don't think of the ISTJ as your classic musician. The reason being is that ISTJ's aren't really known for being very creative. However, SJ's are some of the best musicians that I know around. Why do I say this? Well, the reason being is that music is very detail oriented and ISTJ's are great with details. In addition, to be good at music, one must continually practice the same thing over and over again in a routine, and SJ's are great at this. Plus, if an ISTJ can develop their Fi they can be very creative with music as well. I don't think ISTJ's get enough credit when it comes to music. My father is an ISTJ and is an excellent musician.
I agree that SJs can be very good musicians. My friend Mike is a great example (ISFJ). Here's a video of him playing the bass: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XmnmGyBTQE&feature=relmfu I just can't find a single ISTJ in popular music.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I could see there being more ISTJs in country music.

A lot of rappers seem to straddle the INTJ line... maybe some are actually ISTJs that tend to be typed as INTJ by the Ns on this forum and others?

Example of 50 cent... I could see him being ISTJ, and I don't buy the risk-taking argument. Given particular life situations, you take whatever risks you have to in order to succeed. Let's keep in mind that he started dealing drugs at age 12.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I could see there being more ISTJs in country music.

A lot of rappers seem to straddle the INTJ line... maybe some are actually ISTJs that tend to be typed as INTJ by the Ns on this forum and others?

Example of 50 cent... I could see him being ISTJ, and I don't buy the risk-taking argument. Given particular life situations, you take whatever risks you have to in order to succeed. Let's keep in mind that he started dealing drugs at age 12.

I agree that there are probably a good number of ISTJs in country music. Though I don't have any examples yet.

ISTJs and INTJs aren't on a fine line between the N and the S though. The 4 letter dichotomy is just a code that reveals the functions, which is actually what the system is all about. They have completely different primary and inferior functions. ISTJs primary function is introverted sensing. Si is more oriented towards structure, stability, tradition, reliability, history and detail. INTJ's primary function is introverted intuition. Ni primaries are going to be more innovative, future oriented, outside-the-box, artistic, and creative. ISTJs thrive within a structure and I've yet to see one who I'd consider a risk taking, creative entrepreneur/star. It would be completely out of character for their type. My dad, my grandfather and several other relatives are ISTJ. I'm an Ni primary (INFJ). Trust me, there's a big difference.