• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFJ] ISFJ's and Psychology (career)

Hawker45

I'm interested to see if there's any ISFJ psychologists on this board. I basically want your opinions on the course/job and whether its a good fit for the type. Any other psychologists feel free to add your 2 cents on the job. I'm seriously considering this as a career move as it has always interested me so any information you could give me would be great thanks.

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
"MBTI Types
ISFJ

Each MBTI type lists careers and preferences for the type group based on years of research. Your will find some preferences and career ideas that fit your unique personality and some that do not. Combine your MBTI preferences and your Holland Type along with a Values assessment and a realistic inventory of your abilities to get a more complete picture of which careers might be best for you.

Percentage of Population:
13.8% of adults in the US

Description:
ISFJ’s enjoy helping people in practical ways. They are good at following procedure and managing details. They have a strong work ethic and are responsible and appreciate work settings that have clear expectations, are structured and supportive. ISFJ’s are good at task completion and have good one-on-one listening skills. They excel where careful observation and the ability to remember facts and details are important.

Careers:
Health Care: Dental Hygienist, Dental Assistant, Nurse, Dietician, Medical Technologist, Physical Therapist, Optician, Nursing Aide, Radiological Technician, Respiratory Therapist, Speech Pathologist, Home Health Aid, Primary Care Physician

Social Service: Preschool/Elementary Teacher, Social Worker, Guidance Counselor, Librarian, Child Welfare Counselor, Special Education Teacher, Teacher’s Aide, Religious Educator, Probation Officer, Educational Administrator,

Support/Other: Secretary, Customer Service Representative, Personnel Administrator, Computer Operator, Cashier, Library Assistant, Paralegal, Bookkeeper, Interior Decorator, Artist, Musician, Real Estate Agent, Innkeeper"

Link: ISFJ

Number 1 rule though, don't let your type decide your job.

Just make sure you know what you are getting into, and the type of work you would be doing afterwards.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I'm interested to see if there's any ISFJ psychologists on this board. I basically want your opinions on the course/job and whether its a good fit for the type. Any other psychologists feel free to add your 2 cents on the job. I'm seriously considering this as a career move as it has always interested me so any information you could give me would be great thanks.

I'll add my 2 cents .. I would say i am a non-trained psychologist .. lol .. i love psycho -analyse everybody i meet, i need to know just what makes them tick, how/why they view everything, etc etc .. Would i want this as a career though .. No .. its more fun my way .. To hear people whine/moan day in, day out .. it would drive me insane ..

Good luck with whatever you decide :newwink:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I think that if you're truly interested in psychology, you should pursue a career in it. INFJs are said to be the best psychologists, and you're only one letter away... I'd hate for that one letter to stop you from going for it, especially if it turned out to be wrong later on.

Regardless of your type, displaying an interest in the subject (not to mention the fact that you've come here) hints that you have some aptitude for it. Enough that you should at least seriously considering acting on that interest.

Also, I've definitely known people who tested as ISFJ that seemed to be skilled at reading people and interested in understanding their feelings (though I've also heard of ISFJs who weren't). Some of them later revised their type to INFJ, but some didn't... either way, they seemed to have the skills of a psychologist.

I'm an INFJ, and while I should be a good psychologist, I don't think I could deal with such sustained face-to-face interaction.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
this one (see picture) is apparently isfj
The free iPersonic personality test. ...
(she founded this site together with an intp husband.

judging from how she has been writing about some topics in public (it is possible that she is dumbing/naiving her self down to be understood by everyone, but she is very convincing), she is very conform with the flat understanding of being human of most people. might be a good thing for a lot of applications of "psychology". you don't always have to be like carl jung or ken wilber, if you are paid for a speech on television or a conference of a company. a lot of psychology is just about getting along in the professional world or in typical structures like raising kids. mobbing recovery. mostly practical counseling. know the statistics and confirm to people that they are still in the normal healthy spectrum. they will pay you. no need to take ayahuasca and tranced death.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
well, i'm an ISFJ who wants to have a career in psychology

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
well, i'm an ISFJ who wants to have a career in psychology

Well if that is what you would like to do then go for it .. regardless of our types, if you have the ability to be able to read people or just a general interest in the subject, it just makes it all the easier .. good luck