• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] Are SJs afraid of change?

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
If things are going smoothly, why change? If things are NOT going smoothly, then change is a necessity. However, I do get sick of doing the same things sometimes so like Cimarron said, I'll switch some of the unimportant things up. :)

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Because things can always get better.

If we can see concrete proof that the change will make a situation better, then we will be more likely to make the change. Other than that, how do you KNOW it will make things better? :huh:

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
If we can see concrete proof that the change will make a situation better, then we will be more likely to make the change. Other than that, how do you KNOW it will make things better? :huh:

How can you get proof if the change hasn't happened yet? We can only speculate. There's only one way to find out.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Having things predictable feels good. Puts me at ease, and I like that. That's my explanation.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
How can you get proof if the change hasn't happened yet? We can only speculate. There's only one way to find out.

If somebody else has made the change, we will see how it turned out for them. If not, then you are right, we can only speculate- in this case, we speculate for quite a while until we are satisfied the change will be worth it. :yes:

And yes, predictability = 1 less thing to worry about!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Watching and reading many posts made by SJ I have come to conclusion that SJs have this fear but for many cases the word fear is probably too strong. Especially if we are talking about very small things.

So, why you try to avod changes ?
I presume that it has something to do with Si.

Nothing of this is actually unknown. But in what I am actually interested in is how big this changes have to be that you sense them.
I am talking about two cases.
1.Changes in arrangement of objects.
2.Changes in the ways how system(s) work.

What kind of changes you find annoying?
How often you are afraid that you will not be flexibile enough?
How calming for you is that you can visualize the actual change/problem?

Also I am interested in what SJs think about idea of rearranging the entire system and what SJs think about crashing it completly? (So that the better one can be formed).

Feel free to take term "system" in the way you find the most suitable for explaining your interests.
SJ's do not "fear" change... they resist it.
The goal is to preserve tradition.
You cannot fully preserve tradition AND fully embrace change at the same time.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

I am sorry if this sounds narcisstic but having a N can really help you with this. Many times we start changes exactly because we can see the outcome clearly. But there are some differences between NPs and NJs when it comes to this.

SJ's do not "fear" change... they resist it.
The goal is to preserve tradition.
You cannot fully preserve tradition AND fully embrace change at the same time.

I used word fear since it is easy to send a clear message this way.
But I have said that this word is probably too harsh for this.

On the other hand I predict that there are realistic chances that changes can trigger an observable level of fear in SFJ.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I used word fear since it is easy to send a clear message this way.
But I have said that this word is probably too harsh for this.

On the other hand I predict that there are realistic chances that changes can trigger an observable level of fear in SFJ.
Maybe so, but your OP is a broad generalization applied to all SJs and therefore, I responded to you in the same manner.
Not only that, but there's too willing of a tendency to cast stereotypes in a negative light.
It can just as easily be explained in a positive light which honors those who are that way.

Condor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Change is necessary, it leads to growth.

Changing for no clear purpose, however, with no definable outcome other than to just "shake things up" seems counter-productive. Obivously, no one is going to shake up the major things in life (success generally isn't boring enough to fall into this category) but even the little things - I wear the same color shirt (white), the same color tie (red) and the same color pants (dark grey) to work every day (even on our Friday "casual" day, which I posted in another thread). When we go to our favorite steakhouse, I order the same prime rib cooked the same way with the same wine and Grand Mariner for a nightcap. I lease the same car every three years. I just don't see (the need to be) different as being a reason to change. I can imagine that doing the same thing day in and day out would be extremely frustrating to some.

What some see as boring and frustrating I see as the way things should be. For me, change isn't to be feared, or resisted, or in anyway rejected. It does, however, (as posted earlier) need to be empirical.

Just my two cents...

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'm not afraid of change. I like change, especially when something's worn out or boring. Of course the new change must be good too. Can't just be a change for the sake of a change.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I wouldn't say that SJs are more afraid of the unknown than other types, but that they have less of a grasp and handle on the way future events could play out than non-SJ types do. Someone with future orientated thinking has possibilities and scenarios more weighed out in their mind, so it's not necessarily that they fear the unknown less, but that the unknown is a little more known to them.

I think that's probably inaccurate. SJs can have a better grasp and handle on the way future events play out because they can have a better handle on what is most likely to happen, based on previous experience.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I dated an SJ once and things were going great until we threw a joint party at his house. We moved all the furniture to one of the bedrooms. The next morning, he got called into work very early and I stayed behind and slept. When I woke I thought he would be so tired when he came back, so to be nice, I decided to clean the place and put everything back. Big big big mistake.

I am not a sensor. I never noticed where the stupid little end tables went. Or what side the rocking chair was on. (In my house, the furniture is so fluid. I push the sofa out of the way to clean and just leave it in that new place all the time. It doesn't matter because it's still there...) Anyway, I just did the best I could, putting things where I thought they were before. When he came home, I was all excited and cooking for him. He took one look at the place and BLEW UP at me. I have never been screamed at like that before or since.

Being the aggressive woman that I am, my first instinct is always to strike back, but in this case I was so taken aback - I just sat there stunned while he screamed that I was trying to control him and that I was usurping his life, or some such bullcrap. That I had no right to come into his house and change the way he lives. Was what I did really that horrible?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes. They refuse to pay with anything other than paper money. :dry:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
The way SJs describe their reaction to change is interesting. It appears that we both dislike arbitrary changes, although the kind of changes that bother us are somewhat different.

With SJs, it seems that the most important things to them are the ones they want to keep the same (and keeping those things the same is thus what they focus on), but they don't mind changes in the less important ones.

With me (although I don't know about other NJs), the most important things to me are the ones I'm actively trying to change to bring into alignment with an ideal I've come up with. However, I tend to insist on keeping the things I don't care about or focus on as much the same so that they don't become an unexpected variable that I have to put up with in implementing the changes that matter to me.

I guess another thing is that I only like change that I create. I get really frustrated if other people change things for me, but I like to make my own changes.

Snow Turtle

With SJs, it seems that the most important things to them are the ones they want to keep the same (and keeping those things the same is thus what they focus on), but they don't mind changes in the less important ones.

With me (although I don't know about other NJs), the most important things to me are the ones I'm actively trying to change to bring into alignment with an ideal I've come up with. However, I tend to insist on keeping the things I don't care about or focus on as much the same so that they don't become an unexpected variable that I have to put up with in implementing the changes that matter to me.

That certainly is an interesting way of putting it. I'd say it's fairly accurate for myself.

What's the end point of this ideal scenario? What happens when you achieve it, if possible? Do you move onto the next goal immediantly? Can this not produce an element of restlessness? Forever chasing after a goal. It reminds me of the idea, it's impossible to attain happiness if you keep searching for it.

I'm starting to think that SJs are really just comfort based creatures. Humans.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I dated an SJ once and things were going great until we threw a joint party at his house. We moved all the furniture to one of the bedrooms. The next morning, he got called into work very early and I stayed behind and slept. When I woke I thought he would be so tired when he came back, so to be nice, I decided to clean the place and put everything back. Big big big mistake.

I am not a sensor. I never noticed where the stupid little end tables went. Or what side the rocking chair was on. (In my house, the furniture is so fluid. I push the sofa out of the way to clean and just leave it in that new place all the time. It doesn't matter because it's still there...) Anyway, I just did the best I could, putting things where I thought they were before. When he came home, I was all excited and cooking for him. He took one look at the place and BLEW UP at me. I have never been screamed at like that before or since.

Being the aggressive woman that I am, my first instinct is always to strike back, but in this case I was so taken aback - I just sat there stunned while he screamed that I was trying to control him and that I was usurping his life, or some such bullcrap. That I had no right to come into his house and change the way he lives. Was what I did really that horrible?

Maybe he had a bad day at work. Or maybe he has OCD.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What's the end point of this ideal scenario? What happens when you achieve it, if possible? Do you move onto the next goal immediantly? Can this not produce an element of restlessness? Forever chasing after a goal. It reminds me of the idea, it's impossible to attain happiness if you keep searching for it.

Well, we rarely do achieve it. When we do, we revel in it for a while, but we end up finding something else. We're kind of restless, indeed, but it's a much more long-term kind of restlessness than you see in SPs.

It's hard to put into words, exactly...

Here's what I imagine as a more negative kind of Ni, first:

YouTube - Sonic Adventure 2 Music - Throw It All Away (Shadow's Theme)

Then, here's a more typical/neutral kind:

YouTube - Tragic Anthem

This could be construed as a more positive kind of Ni, although it could be seen as related to Ti, Fi, or Ne as well:

YouTube - Gundam Wing Endless Waltz - Love and Hatred
I'm starting to think that SJs are really just comfort based creatures. Humans.

I think I like most of the ones who are like that. I suppose I generally like SJs as long as they aren't trying to preserve something I'm trying to change. It's the ones who try to artificially drag the past into the present who I usually find myself in conflict with. Mostly because I'm doing the opposite, trying to pull the future into the present. Those are usually very extreme people, though, and there aren't many of them.