• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] how to mess with an SJ's head

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Call them up and then hang up as soon as they answer. Then later in person act like nothing happened. They will then bring it up. Your feedback is that you needed an answer to something they are experianced in. But then you figured out an alternative solution because they weren't answering. They will then ask what the problem was. You respond by saying it's done for now so no worries.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Tell them that you returned "that thing I needed from ya" back into their garage/house, but never tell them what it was.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hmmm the question is: What counts as a 'necessary item'? A Porsche? A flat-screen TV? A 1000 euro dinner? hmmm....:D

The dinner sounds nice! Uhhh.... I mean... no of course not, LL. Who would do such a thing? :)

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This would annoy anyone, because no one likes to be perceived as a simpleton. Every human is complex, so I would never assume that I can have someone "all figured out" upon first meeting them.

Granted, I don't think I've ever had anyone say the above to me, but if they did, I'd likely smirk; because clearly, this person would have no idea what they're talking about. Also, someone that assumes that much would never make it to the "inner circle" -- the place where all notions and mis/preconceptions about ISTJs are blown away! :newwink: (yes, it is not just mythical...the inner circle does exist, and entry is based on a very selective application process)

Hmm I understand...and will add that SJs can be figured out in short order, with general appreciation for their likely behaviours given different scenarios across value structures. Sorry..but it's very relevant:)

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Hmm I understand...and will add that SJs can be figured out in short order, with general appreciation for their likely behaviours given different scenarios across value structures. Sorry..but it's very relevant:)

Oh yes, I agree that it is relevant, and I will fully admit that I am very much a creature of habit in the external ways in which I live my life. I'm just saying, just because you know my external patterns does not mean in any way that you know me and my thought processes...that takes a lot of time and a lot of trust. I personally think that ISTJs are masterful self-monitors and can negotiate their identities, positions, and actions according to their surroundings. I don't mean to say that we have multiple personalities or are hypocrites, but it does mean that I selectively choose what I want to show people. Plus, with ISTJs being cooler and more even-keeled it means that the very excited, enthusiastic, and opinionated side of myself usually stays hidden unless I am around those I love and trust.

Is this what you guys really think or are afraid of???

Personally, no, but I do think that on some level that is what the phrase implies.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
Leave your wet towels on the bed, and do not pick them up, your resident SJ will eventually crack up at your untidyness.

Grab an assortment of things and stray them around the floor.

Rearrange their books in a random order.

#to the above poster
ISTJ's have no personality, You're just walking automatons with hard-drives for brains, using information receptors called "proper".

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
Leave your wet towels on the bed, and do not pick them up, your resident SJ will eventually crack up at your untidyness.

Grab an assortment of things and stray them around the floor.

Rearrange their books in a random order.

#to the above poster
ISTJ's have no personality, You're just walking automatons with hard-drives for brains, using information receptors called "proper".

*This ISTJ looks around her bedroom*

Wet towel on bed, drying, because there's nowhere else for it - check

books strewn around the room in any conceivable place possible (I'm a student, what do you expect?) - check

Piles of notes placed precariously on desk - check

Messiest bedroom in the entire flat - check (although admittedly my ESTJ neighbour's room is possibly the tidiest...)

I must admit that when I'm particularly stressed out with work I do go into what I call my 'robot mode'. Until I have a sufficient level of control over my work everything else is pushed aside, including emotions. It's mainly down to tiredness.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
I personally think that ISTJs are masterful self-monitors and can negotiate their identities, positions, and actions according to their surroundings. I don't mean to say that we have multiple personalities or are hypocrites, but it does mean that I selectively choose what I want to show people. Plus, with ISTJs being cooler and more even-keeled it means that the very excited, enthusiastic, and opinionated side of myself usually stays hidden unless I am around those I love and trust.

Agree in every way, as I usually do when it comes to your posts. :alttongue:

pecan111

I'm just saying, just because you know my external patterns does not mean in any way that you know me and my thought processes...that takes a lot of time and a lot of trust. I personally think that ISTJs are masterful self-monitors and can negotiate their identities, positions, and actions according to their surroundings. I don't mean to say that we have multiple personalities or are hypocrites, but it does mean that I selectively choose what I want to show people.

YOu know you have a point here. We intuitives drive deeply into theory and abstract thought, but I don't see us as great players of politics and other ventures. Don't know about all , but I hate engaging in office politics and would rather be upfront and direct. BUt, of course, most people can't handle direct and honest in the objective way I usually can. However, I have seen sensors types handle interpersonal interactions in a huge continum, from very bad to very good. I don't selectively choose, but that can certainly be detrimental to my position and to be perfectly honest, I don't want to make it any harder on myself, but with my approach, it can happen.

The question I have is this..I gather the truest, honest and most real people around me very quickly. They are drawn to me a lot, however I just can't seem to care enough about changing my identity or position, even when it would be beneficial to me. I have learned to squelch the verbal to a very real degree, but I find myself wishing I could wear a better mask at times.

In this regard you guys really have an advantage and I have to admit that I fail to come across as believable if I really don't care. Conventional doesn't suit me, but it is part of life. Do you ever have any trouble with bending too much? Does it ever cause you grief? Is it more important that you give the proper impression than gather honest followers? I just have so much trouble being around people that I consider false and liars, yet I know full well that life demands that at times.

Shadow

MBTI Type
INTJ
YOu know you have a point here. We intuitives drive deeply into theory and abstract thought, but I don't see us as great players of politics and other ventures. Don't know about all , but I hate engaging in office politics and would rather be upfront and direct. BUt, of course, most people can't handle direct and honest in the objective way I usually can. However, I have seen sensors types handle interpersonal interactions in a huge continum, from very bad to very good. I don't selectively choose, but that can certainly be detrimental to my position and to be perfectly honest, I don't want to make it any harder on myself, but with my approach, it can happen.

The question I have is this..I gather the truest, honest and most real people around me very quickly. They are drawn to me a lot, however I just can't seem to care enough about changing my identity or position, even when it would be beneficial to me. I have learned to squelch the verbal to a very real degree, but I find myself wishing I could wear a better mask at times.

In this regard you guys really have an advantage and I have to admit that I fail to come across as believable if I really don't care. Conventional doesn't suit me, but it is part of life. Do you ever have any trouble with bending too much? Does it ever cause you grief? Is it more important that you give the proper impression than gather honest followers? I just have so much trouble being around people that I consider false and liars, yet I know full well that life demands that at times.

I would say that the 'real me' is like how you describe yourself: upfront, direct and honest. It's just that I've learnt that it doesn't help to be like that in many situations, so I had to learn tact, which doesn't come naturally to me. Changing the way I'm perceived in different settings isn't something I've ever specifically thought about; I just do it. It's also linked to being very private and not wanting to put your vulnerable self out there to be destroyed. Masks can be a defensive mechanism in many ways, as well as helping you to roll along smoothly in life.

Having said that, it's clear to me if someone isn't trustworthy and loyal, and I would only court the attention of dishonest, false people if it helped me in some respect, like professionally. In my personal life I avoid these people because they don't interest me and I don't want to be near them. But again, that's a completely different mask. I certainly don't seek to be admired and loved by all! If people don't like me, and I'm sure many don't, that's absolutely fine. If it's useful to me that they like me, or I just like them, then I'll put my friendly and sociable mask on.

FerventFox

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Swear. Every other word.

Seriously? That annoys me sooo much. If you honestly have nothing worthwhile to say, don't waste my time. Just stop talking...

Also, I commiserate with Shadow and all the rest who mentioned being messy. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and love having an organized desk/room but it's really not. It's an organized mess. I know what each pile is and where things are in each pile. :)

Using bad grammar and/or spelling is another one of those little things that just pushes me over the edge. I can't help but want to correct people's grammar all the time!

Oh, and people's clothing tags. My fingers twitch every time I see one sticking out. I'll even fix a total stranger's tags if they're sticking out. "Oh, hang on a sec, your tag is sticking out...*fixes* There, all good." *pat on back and walk away*

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ

Very good questions...I've given it some thought, and I will 1+ everything Shadow said above, and add a bit more.

For me at least, I have the ability to compartmentalize my life. I try not to let my personal feelings or thoughts bleed into my professional life. Like you and Shadow said, I too draw the truest and most honest and awesome people around me (this is where the inner circle comes in)...and yes, there is an "inner circle" in the professional world/compartment as well as in my personal life. Both serve the vital purpose of proving a place where I can say whatever I want in the presence of these chosen people. The inner circle is where my tact is thrown out the window and I say what I really want. I go there for advice, support, and scheming.

However, like you said, in the professional realm, you are often placed with people you have to deal with who you really don't respect or like. This is where tact comes in. I tell myself, "It's not personal, it's business. Get in, get out, get on with your life. If I do good work they won't have a reason to complain." Now, also keep in mind that I only use this phrase when I simply do not agree with someone, or just don't get along. I keep contact to a minimum, stay out of their business, and force myself to be cordial, unemotional, and professional in dealing with them.

The part you asked about, the "bending too far" can happen if the person who I have to work with or report to asks me to do something unethical or that goes against my value system. In that case, I'd initially try to keep my cool, and simply say that I am not willing to do that for reasons X, Y, and Z. I would ask that they respect my decision. However, if they try to blackmail or strong-arm me into doing something, I won't have any of it. Forget it. Screw you, it's war time!!! (also why the "inner circle" is so valuable: strength in numbers, and many credible witnesses). I'm not willing to compromise my beliefs for the sake of a company. In my mind, those that deceive others will eventually be found out. I would rather keep myself blameless and honest.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
if they ask something about when you're going to ... *insert whatever, especially schedules* tell them : I don't know.

Be late.

Lose things. Often.

Talk to them, a lot and For long time, about the same topic, in depth. Don't let them change it or get away from the situation and do something else :D

Use eg "wrong" kitchen knife for something it isn't meant for in their presence.

Be absent-minded. (see above, lose things)

- That is, if you really want to mess with their heads. :D

I do all those things anyway! no wonder my dad hates me!

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
Label little post-its and stick them on everything in their room.

"Fred's Lamp"
"Fred's Sunglasses"
"Fred's Candy Bar"
"Fred's Favorite Picture"

Works like a charm.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

"Fred's Lamp"
"Fred's Sunglasses"
"Fred's Candy Bar"

Works like a charm.

Even better, mislabel, misspell, and switch a few of them.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

"Fred's Lamp"
"Fred's Sunglasses"
"Fred's Candy Bar"

Works like a charm.
I don't see why this is a bad thing. I was thinking about doing it, myself. (half kidding)

Very good discussion going on above, as well. :yes: