• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] SJ Interests.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Okay... what kind of things are SJs (or at least, you personally if you are one) interested in doing? Name anything that comes to mind.

How inclined/disinclined are you to the following activities:

*Playing video games
*Looking up information online
*Writing fiction
*Drawing
*Computer Programming
*Studying Philosophy
*Learning Mathematics
*Reading fiction
*Reading comics
*Reading the newspaper
*Watching television

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
*Playing video games - not very. I only ever liked games such as Civilization and Oregon Trail - building and organizing my own little world. :)
*Looking up information online - Constantly!
*Writing fiction - I'd love to, but doubt I have the talent.
*Drawing - I can draw decently well, but don't take the time often.
*Computer Programming - Nope, unless you count knowing HTML.
*Studying Philosophy - Depends. In a class I would probably either zone out or argue constantly. I read books that could be considered philosophy-lite rather frequently, though.
*Learning Mathematics - Nope.
*Reading fiction - All the time.
*Reading comics - They're fun, but I don't really seek them out.
*Reading the newspaper - Maybe I would if there was a decent one in my area. Internet is quicker, though.
*Watching television - I don't own a TV (gasp) but would probably get addicted to it if I had one.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*Playing video games: Like 'em. Used to be a real nerd. Wish I had time. (I like strategy games, too, but I always preferred Final Fantasy-type RPGs.)
*Looking up information online: I'm addicted (like the previous poster)
*Writing fiction: Again, wish I had time. Also, wish I could FINISH anything that I write! (and wish that anything I wrote was creative...)
*Drawing: I love to draw, but hate doing any other art (e.g. sculpture, watercolor...)
*Computer Programming: Sounds scary/intimidating/boring. Never done it.
*Studying Philosophy: I like to absorb knowledge of all types, including (but obviously not limited to) that. Of course, I don't reallly think about my own personal views on it; I just go "Oh, interesting" and leave it at that.
*Learning Mathematics: Fun! Got scary when I took a Calculus class, and that's where I stopped. Still like Sudoku :)
*Reading fiction: All the time/whenever I have time.
*Reading comics: Do you mean newspaper comics or graphic novels? I like both, but graphic novels more, because comic strips are starting to suck. (I love Doonesbury, though! I get really into it.)
*Reading the newspaper: I read the New York Times online almost every day.
*Watching television: Love it!

Also, I like crafts, music and art. I like to ride my bike, too. Mostly, however, work is my life. (I'll bet SJs make that statement more than any other types :))

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

*Playing video games
I play them, but I get frustrated with them easily. Usually I play with friends, first person shooters--Perfect Dark for N64 is the only game I really play.
*Looking up information online Yeah, I like doing this for fun. I wish I could do this instead of schoolwork. In fact, I like re-reading things I've already learned, if it's interesting, basically until I know it well enough to talk about it on my own.
*Writing fiction No, I'm horrible at this. I get cool ideas for short "scenes"/situations in films or stories, but not the plotline that would go with it, or anything else. It would take way too much effort to try.
*Drawing No, it doesn't really sound interesting to me. Similar to the fiction, I have cool ideas every now and then, but not the effort to learn how to put those ideas onto paper. I like to draw maps, though, if that counts.
*Computer Programming Haha, this is something I learned only recently in a class. It actually seems kind of fun, when you have the time (i.e. no class deadlines). I would be interested in this.
*Studying Philosophy Yes, I do think it is interesting. Just not round-the-clock, I guess, and I like to figure it out by myself. Questions about existence, infinity, the universe, etc. are fun to think about, and difficult. But morals, ethics, etc. are not as interesting.
*Learning Mathematics I also only recently started liking this one. I would love to spend more time thinking about it, but not learning new fast math tricks. I have to admit that my interest for this one is mostly due to it being such a challenge for me. I like "conquering" a new idea.
*Reading fiction I always think that I don't like reading fiction, but I read quite a bit of it. Short stories are usually more worth it than long fiction novels. I'm not really into lengthy fiction.
*Reading comics They're usually not funny. If they are, I like reading them.
*Reading the newspaper Yes, I find myself doing this a lot. Or the online equivalent. But once I pick up a newspaper, I can't put it down.
*Watching television I used to watch a lot, but now it's mostly just a few shows/series. And mostly I just watch those on Youtube now, anyway. One thing I don't like about TV is how often the shows try to be funny, and you can tell where you're supposed to think it's funny. But it isn't.

Okay... what kind of things are SJs (or at least, you personally if you are one) interested in doing? Name anything that comes to mind.

Amateur stargazing
Writing in calligraphy
Writing music, but not lyrics
Slow-paced strategy games, preferably against another human
Doing impressions--mimicking other people's tone of voice
Reading and talking about history
Watching fish, birds, bugs, and other wildlife
Looking for assumptions--I've found this can really get you thinking
Tasting a new kind of food; mixing food to create new dishes
Keeping lists of my favorite things to think about, and thinking of new ways to arrange and categorize these ideas
Helping people out just for the heck of it, when I have free time and money to spend
Relaxing in general, but not sleeping
Some day, learning several languages
Some day, traveling to some great historical battlefields

But I only get to do about two or three of these things with any frequency.

Last edited:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do you mean things that we do, or things that we'd like to do? There are tons of things I say I'm "going to do" every day, but haven't gotten to enjoy doing in months.

Things you like to do. Your interests. Things you enjoy, prefer, find entertaining, etc.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
*Playing video games -- This is a social activity for me...I don't seek it out on my own. I used to play video games a lot when I was a kid/teen, but nowadays I'll play it with others. 2 of my friends have a Wii, so I enjoy Mario Kart and the sports games enough to stay occupied with them for a couple of hours.
*Looking up information online -- Constantly.
*Writing fiction -- Not at all...but I've kept a blog for years.
*Drawing -- I doodle, but don't really make any kind of effort to draw.
*Computer Programming -- Not at all.
*Studying Philosophy -- Not so much.
*Learning Mathematics -- Nah, once I finished calculus, I never really looked back.
*Reading fiction -- Constantly.
*Reading comics -- If it's in the newspaper I'll read them, but I don't seek them out.
*Reading the newspaper -- If one's around, I'll read it...but I don't have a subscription to one.
*Watching television -- I have some shows I like and will keep up with such as Mythbusters, House, and The Amazing Race. Otherwise, it's more of a social activity with my family or friends.

My own interests that I'd like to add: Hiking/exercising, travel (especially international), socializing with friends, photography, watching movies, reading up on my major and related areas (ESOL education), cooking on occasion.

simpleamazement

MBTI Type
istj
Enneagram
*Playing video games
*Looking up information online
*Writing fiction
*Drawing
*Computer Programming
*Studying Philosophy
*Learning Mathematics
*Reading fiction
*Reading comics
*Reading the newspaper
*Watching television

I don’t participate any of those activities you describe above except for looking up information online. I do that every day!

My interests are: meeting new people, attending parties, the nightlife, reading non-fiction (online, in a magazine, or a book…especially in a bookstore or at a Starbucks), cars, participating in sports, seeing new places, going to car events, and being tech saavy.

Snow Turtle

*Playing video games - I'm an internet addict. :smile:
*Looking up information online - Discussions interest me but it's specific topics
*Studying Philosophy - Large interest along with psychology. I'm on MBTI >.<
*Reading fiction - When I get into it :)
*Reading comics - Same as above.
*Writing fiction - Not really my strenght.
*Drawing - Same as above.
*Watching television - Depends on the show

*Computer Programming - Little interest
*Learning Mathematics - Little interest
*Reading the newspaper - Rarely

Tada.

ArbiterDewey

MBTI Type
ISTJ

Reading Classic Literature (Jules Verne, Oscar Wilde, Alexandre Dumas, Jonathan Swift)
Downloading torrents (isohunt/bittorrent)
Listening to classical music (J.S. Bach, Beethoven, Yann Tiersen (a god), Schumann, Vivaldi, some Mozart (over-rated).
Watching independent films (I found some of the greatest movies on IFC: Les Choristes, The Legend of 1900, The "F" Word, Amelie, and so on. They played the Whitest Kids U Know through their second season too.

I'm sure there is other stuff I do. Why do you ask, if you don't mind me asking?

*Playing video games - All the time. I love older games especially. Newer ones I don't care for so much. If I've fallen in love with a game series, I try to play as much of it as I can without it dying on me. Castlevania (non-3D starting, preferably with Symphony of the Night) is a great example of this.
*Looking up information online - meh. I'm good at doing it, but I don't waste away hours with it.
*Writing fiction - I am a Dungeon Master for Dungeons & Dragons so this is part of every week, nearly. (ever other now that Hexis is running a campaign)
*Drawing - I love to doodle, but I FAIL at drawing/painting/etc.
*Computer Programming - I care not.
*Studying Philosophy - Love it. Finished my first Philosophy course in college this semester: Logic.
*Learning Mathematics - I'm good at math, but I really hate doing it.
*Reading fiction - Yup, all the time. If I'm without a good fiction book I feel incomplete. Read all I could of Asimov, until he ran out of books... :cry:
*Reading comics - One of my favorite tasks. If you meant comic "books" I have well over 300 of them, almost all amazing. If you meant comic "strips" I love cynical/witty/sarcastic humor. Dilbert, especially.
*Reading the newspaper - Little interest except the comics
*Watching television - I rarely ever watch TV, and I hate it to be on in another room all day with noone watching it. It is unnecessary background noise. If I feel inclined to watch it, I normally watch the Discovery/Science channel, Comedy Central (stand-up comedy preferably), and Sci-Fi. If I have satellite TV I'm always on the Independent Film Channel (IFC)