• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTJ] ISTJs: Is love worth the trouble?

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
That's always kind of a general tendency with me (us?), to keep as much as possible in my life under control.

i understand. however, on one hand, we all have our natural tendencies, on the other, we have to consider that often times the only thing standing between us and happiness is ourselves. so more often than not, it is not a matter of changing your nature, but simply changing your perspective.

why not expand your criteria of "control" to include your other needs besides the practical aspects of your life? let's imagine that instead, you are trying to control how happy and satisfying your life is... do you still think you are doing a good job of maintaining control?

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i understand. however, on one hand, we all have our natural tendencies, on the other, we have to consider that often times the only thing standing between us and happiness is ourselves. so more often than not, it is not a matter of changing your nature, but simply changing your perspective.
Yes, I agree with you in principle. I just hoped you would understand, which you did. I meant that the "tendency to make sure our lives are under control" was our starting point. Our default mode, I guess.

Last edited:

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Control... this is probably a rediculous thing to ask, but have you ever tried losing control, just for one day? Ever had "too much to drink" or took a wrong turn in a town you are unfamiliar with? Ever miss your bus stop?

What you are saying recalled this scene from Fight Club:

YouTube - Car Ride - Fight Club

I don't have any answers for you, I havn't had any real relationships either, but sometimes chaos is marvie!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think this is really an issue of control. I believe it's more of an issue of not having found the right person who inspires you yet. It's not so easy for every person to be inspired towards love. This may be seen as being picky, but it is what it is. "You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip" as my ISTJ Dad used to say. When you find the right person (hopefully you will), all of these timelines and fears will melt away and you will feel compelled to let love happen. And it will be wonderful for you. :wubbie:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
That smiley makes my security feel threatened.

ExFJs make me want to cry. Why?

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Have you ever tried losing control, just for one day?
It's a difficult thing to explain when I lose control. I get really angry, then I start getting bigger, and my skin turns green too.

Seriously though, I don't like who I am when I lose control of a situation. I automatically go into panic mode, then start imagining the worst case scenarios.

Are there any ISTJs out there that are currently in a successful relationship? I'd like to hear your side of the story too.

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I don't think this is really an issue of control. I believe it's more of an issue of not having found the right person who inspires you yet. It's not so easy for every person to be inspired towards love. This may be seen as being picky, but it is what it is. "You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip" as my ISTJ Dad used to say. When you find the right person (hopefully you will), all of these timelines and fears will melt away and you will feel compelled to let love happen. And it will be wonderful for you. :wubbie:

Your dad seems to be a wise man. You're probably right, love is unpredictable. Today I could decide to shun every woman I meet's affection from now on. Tomorrow, God could throw the one in my path that makes my knees weak and make me question everything. I would like to believe this could happen. I would like to believe that in the end, it will all work out. It's not easy for me to believe that though. It would be nice not to think about it.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Your dad seems to be a wise man. You're probably right, love is unpredictable. Today I could decide to shun every woman I meet's affection from now on. Tomorrow, God could throw the one in my path that makes my knees weak and make me question everything. I would like to believe this could happen. I would like to believe that in the end, it will all work out. It's not easy for me to believe that though. It would be nice not to think about it.

And then there are the screwed up things where a girl in your life that you've written off suddenly starts throwing you for a loop.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
My guess is that you'll eventually find someone who will fit into your conception of what a mate should be. That concept is clearly going to be a lot different from what I (XNTP) consider ideal, but that's hardly a big deal. It's like your list thing; having that would make me feel incredibly suffocated, but I understand why it works for you.

I guess my question for you is why it matters? If you're happy with your life as it is right now, and you're not feeling any internal pressure to share your life with anyone else, then screw everyone who wants to make it a big deal for you. If, however, you're deliberately holding back simply because you're afraid of change or discomfort, then I'd recommend reassessing your situation. Sometimes life requires risk for reward. Yes, even for ISTJs. ;)

(I know you called on ISTJs to dispense the advice, but I couldn't help myself. Anytime I'm procrastinating, this is what happens.)

fishingdude

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I guess my question for you is why it matters? If you're happy with your life as it is right now, and you're not feeling any internal pressure to share your life with anyone else, then screw everyone who wants to make it a big deal for you.

Why does it matter? Rajah, sometimes ignorance is not bliss. If I'm missing out on something special, I want to know about it and I want to know as soon as possible. I don't want to wake up 30 years from now and realize what I missed out on. And you know what, I honestly can't say that I am presently happy. The only times in my adultish life that I can recall being really happy is when I liked a girl. So maybe there's my answer right there. Forget the safe road and damn the consequences, love is more interesting.

Spectre of the spam

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I'm not in a relationship right now and i'm OK with that. But, ultimately, I don't want to be alone. Sure, I could live with it and not fall apart or anything. But again, I REALLY don't want to be alone forever.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That smiley makes my security feel threatened.

ExFJs make me want to cry. Why?

In a good way or a bad way?

Why does it matter? Rajah, sometimes ignorance is not bliss. If I'm missing out on something special, I want to know about it and I want to know as soon as possible. I don't want to wake up 30 years from now and realize what I missed out on. And you know what, I honestly can't say that I am presently happy. The only times in my adultish life that I can recall being really happy is when I liked a girl. So maybe there's my answer right there. Forget the safe road and damn the consequences, love is more interesting.

It's best to be optimistic about romance so long as you employ patience along with it. One without the other doesn't really cut it.

PinkIceTD

MBTI Type
ENFP

I find it interesting that you're having this inner conflict right now. Last week, my ISTJ asked me the precise question you originally asked. It came down to risk factor; does the desire outweigh the risk? And after listening to all of my ENFP answers that ^ is what he concluded.

However, he's still currently analyzing that conclusion...

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I believe if I truly wanted to be in a relationship, I could be. This need for order in my life has prevented me from doing so thus far. I like to have my bases covered before proceeding with anything, else I feel out of control. There's girls in my life that I could definitely go out with, I just don't feel it's the right time. I don't like to do things half-way and I just don't want to get into it unless I can give it my all. If I can't finish what I start, then it's all just a waist of time for everyone involved.

I look at love as an investment. And as I do with any investment, I research it thoroughly. I weigh the risks vs. the rewards. And that's all I'm doing in this thread.

Coming into this thread a little late...but the above quote (especially the bolded part) struck a chord with me that I wanted to comment on. Falling in love doesn't necessarily have to be this crazy, out-of-control, all-or-nothing experience. A guy this past summer who wanted to date me made it this way, and it was terrible. He tried to jump into meshing our lives together and was really needy. It took him about 4 days to drive me insane before I literally cut as much contact as possible. I now know, that that type of relationship is not something I want.

I think part of this problem is knowing exactly the things that you want and need in a relationship, and then finding those qualities in someone else. It involves knowing yourself to the point where you can maintain your own autonomy while at the same time allowing another to get close to you simply because being with them enhances the good parts of your life and the both of you derive enjoyment from the other's presence. I try not to look at love as this huge life-changing event (at least not initially). Take it in stride, and enjoy learning the ins and outs of someone else's life as they learn about you as well.

Despite the fact that I can't officially say I am in a relationship with this person since we haven't defined it ourselves, I have been close to an INTJ for about 6 years now, and our relationship has always been virtually stress-free and involves a lot of 1-on-1 time in which we have gotten to know each other fairly well. He's rational, not clingy, smart, calm, and easy to be around without becoming irritating. I'm not saying he's the one, but he is the kind of person that I could see myself with. My relationship with him has on occasion been a little awkward, and took a very long time to develop, but it's been totally worth it.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
In a good way or a bad way?

Bad. ENFJs want to speculate about how my problems affect other people or figure out why I'm not as excited as them. ESFJs want to impose their social standards on me....all the time. Watching ESFJ women try to be this structured person while being friendly and compassionate just makes me want to slap them. It's not that I think it's bad, it just doesn't feel genuine, more like a means to an end.

That's why I'm looking for an ISFJ. They're so close to us that it makes me not feel threatened. One specific ISFJ, even though she's way too old for me, I've been getting to know the last few weeks. We click so well, it leaves me wondering if it's too good to be true that I've found someone I really understand and that understands me.

It's just something about ISFJs, They just form such a raw connection with me that I feel so secure and confident around them. It's like, nothing can go wrong. Talking to an ISFJ usually leaves me really emotional, like I want to cry. It's not from a bad thing though. They're just so soothing that I can't believe something like that is happening.

Anyway....yeah....I don't know if other ISTJs get the same way around ISFJs, but that's just how they affect me. I want one to call my own.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Call me silly, but I have a lot of faith. I think you'll get what you want, Raz. :)

batumi

MBTI Type
infj
I wasn't aware happiness was relevant to personal growth... I'd say that the challenges of loving someone shapes us in new and better ways, but clearly it is not for the risk-averse. If you're content with gaining nothing, then risk nothing.

:shrug:

Absolutely. When it comes to relationships, no pain = no gain.
I am very fortunate to be spending time with an ISTJ who is wiser
than many on this thread, I think, or perhaps just more mature.

“Whatever one does not live, lives against one.”
Carl Jung

batumi

MBTI Type
infj
I find it interesting that you're having this inner conflict right now. Last week, my ISTJ asked me the precise question you originally asked. It came down to risk factor; does the desire outweigh the risk? And after listening to all of my ENFP answers that ^ is what he concluded.

However, he's still currently analyzing that conclusion...

So hmm, what does this mean exactly and why have you not IMed me about this? I miss you.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Absolutely. When it comes to relationships, no pain = no gain.
I am very fortunate to be spending time with an ISTJ who is wiser
than many on this thread, I think, or perhaps just more mature.

“Whatever one does not live, lives against one.”
Carl Jung

Uhh, thanks for the patronage?