• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SJ] What kind of math were you better at?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I'm finishing up a pre-req algebra course, and even though I'm not doing the next level next semester, I'm wondering what kinds of math SJs are oriented to.

We're ending this course on quadratic equations and parabolas. The easiest thing for me in this class was literal equations.

These kinds of equations: Solving Literal Equations

Those are insanely easy to me, and I love doing them. I felt like that was the best way for me to learn each concept. The idea of what we were learning each unit really sank in after doing those literal equations.

ygolo

My termites win
I like most (maybe all) kinds of math-including solving literal equations. I generally like the more advanced concepts, and don't like doing the same math over and over again.

Still, I am not sure what type of math SJs would like.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
SJs only, sir!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know about anything beyond calculus but I liked Math because it was straight forward. There is no guess-work or fluff to worry about. There is only one answer and [usually] only one way to get there. You either know how to do it or you don't.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I think SJs can be good at math in school because it requires a lot of practice to be good. Most people lack the patience to be good.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think SJs can be good at math in school because it requires a lot of practice to be good. Most people lack the patience to be good.

Yes. I do exceptionally well with rote learning, despite the fact that it's not interesting to me.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh boy, I could write a ton about this...I'll keep it short, though. :blush:

Yeah, Raz, that seems like the stuff that's easiest for me. (hope you did well this semester)

The stuff that's hardest for me in math/science classes is translating a situation into equations. This means that I'm usually stuck right at the beginning of the problem. If I could set up the equations, variables, numbers, etc. that they want, I would be fine from there.

Probably the hardest class I've ever taken had tests where we mostly had to derive equations from other known equations. So they'd start with small Formula A and small Formula B with a certain Set of Conditions, then told us to use those and prove that long Equation Z was true. I did horribly trying to come up with these answers, though when the teacher showed us the answers later, it was always obvious, with lots of these: :doh:

In that class, I once took a test where I got one problem completely correct, and hardly got any points from any other problems. The teacher said pretty much everyone struggled with the problem that I actually got...which was pretty much a literal equation, with a few tricks we had to remember. And I'd studied that part of the chapter, so I remembered what to do.

But looking back, I've noticed that I often don't fully master and understand why I'm doing a certain math technique until I've done it plenty of times before. It can take years to sink in fully. And it happens over time--I just get used to doing it--so before I realize it, that thing that was "way too hard" becomes almost like reflex.

:unsure:

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Yeah, Cimarron, I absolutely HATE translating problems into equations. I always get stuck on them. It's likely a Sensor thing.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah, Cimarron, I absolutely HATE translating problems into equations. I always get stuck on them. It's likely a Sensor thing.
Translation takes place from one ended process (=formula) to another.
Otherwise it would not be called a translation.
Would it?

The rudiment does not translate.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, Cimarron, I absolutely HATE translating problems into equations.
I figured maybe you were saying Literal Equations were kind of the opposite of that. ...? Though you took the positive view, and I took the negative view.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I was talking about word problems. They're my worst enemy.

jay bee 83

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Maths has been my weakness probably since moving into higher education. At school it wasn't too bad but when it went beyond A-level standard in some elements of my degrees I struggled initially. Took a dislike to any computer programming as a result. I found some algebra and set theory quite difficult.... although something did eventually click and I got the set theory! I can do basic maths but don't have natural afinity to it.

I failed an accounting module in my masters degree, had to resit it in order to gain the full degree award.... I got 28% overall in the failed attempt, retook it and got 73% ... 79% in the exam!

I did it by revising the likely questions that were going to come up over and over again. Gained a slight understanding about what the maths was about but essentially only really learned how to do the calculations in order to pass... no real interest otherwise.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8

I would say you're right on the money. I've been talking with a girl I've been trying to type for a while, and have come to the conclusion that she is an S, mostly based on her expressed love for math, and preference for it over writing because it is more straight forward; you do the problems, and you get a certain answer. Writing, however, takes more effort for her and is of course much less linear. I, on the other hand, prefer writing as it is easier for me and less monotonous and tedious.

It also doesn't surprise me that while the sensors love math, some of you seem to dislike word problems. With word problems, you go outside the realm of the linear mathematics that appeal to you, and into the realm of applied mathematics where you have to relate mathematical principles to real life situations and make intuitive leaps about what mathematical solutions fit the real world problem. As I am an N, I generally have no problem doing this as long as I understand the underlying mathematics sufficiently. I can see how it can be a problem for an S.

I would also note that since I can pretty much guarantee she's a sensor, I'd also tie that in with her sluggishness to pick up the abstract and tangential paths of conversation that intuitive types are so adept at taking. I usually have to be very direct and concrete in how I speak to her, or else I tend to lose her where other seemingly N types would have no problem following.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would say you're right on the money. I've been talking with a girl I've been trying to type for a while, and have come to the conclusion that she is an S, mostly based on her expressed love for math, and preference for it over writing because it is more straight forward; you do the problems, and you get a certain answer. Writing, however, takes more effort for her and is of course much less linear. I, on the other hand, prefer writing as it is easier for me and less monotonous and tedious.
I don't think it's that definitive, unless you mean "creative writing." I'm fine with either words or numbers. Tough to think of which I'd prefer more.

Risen said:
...make intuitive leaps...
And that is of course, word for word, a phrase my professors often use.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I prefer playing with my spreadsheets. Like, in between classes earlier, I was using receipts to figure out how much the balance on my credit card was going to be after returns and purchases so I could go pay it off. I'm not good to do other people's bills though, because I'm incapable of factoring in the "variety" aspect of living. My philosophy is, if something works, keep doing it! Yeah...that's why ISTJ's are so routine-oriented.

I can understand the writing thing though. I never did well at creative writing. Trying to think of something out of thin air to write is just near impossible. Recalling things to explain or tell a story about something I know about first hand, well, that's another story.

During this whole semester, I saw a lot of people taking notes in the class. I tried that the first few days and then stopped. I go into every class, sit there and watch the teacher go through everything as she explains it, and just remember what she's doing. If I have to take the time to write down what she's doing, I'm just going to be copying her work, and I'll spend more effort copying than I will actually understanding what she's doing as she does it. If I don't understand something when I go do the homework....that's what the book is for. I just can't focus on notes and what the teacher is doing at the same time.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Probability is my favorite.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Of all the math classes, trig/analysis/pre calc were my favorites. I never particularly cared much for algebra, but did well in geometry.

As a slight tangent in response to Risen's post, I enjoy writing very much, although it does depend on the type of writing it is. If it's academic writing, no problem. I would imagine that the S/N divide would be more prominent in creative writing. When I think back, much of my creative writing was based on my own life or actual experiences I have had or have heard of/seen...just manipulated a little.

Also, as for word problems, I do think the ability to make those connections to the world does depend somewhat on the way you were taught. If one is merely taught skills in isolation without being given some real-world application or practice, then most people are not likely to make those connections on their own. However, if practicality and real-world application are integrated naturally as part of the learning process then I think it makes it easier for all to make those connections. I do suppose though, that Ns would make those connections more naturally and independantly than Ss though if left on their own.